You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC and THAT Newspaper

Antynwa

Well done Ant.

I travel a fair few miles on the motorway to get to Anfield and normally take a break (sometimes even two) on the way. Almost every single time I find someone wearing the Liverpool jersey/scarf, sipping a coffee and reading the S*n. Just astonishing.

I used to get wound up and tell them what reading that rag means. This has happened many times and I normally get a strange look and couple of them have even got angry with me. Most of them just smile and go back to reading that rag. Unbelievable. Total ignorance.

These days, I just don't bother.

Keep trying. Educate them, then take it off them.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I should. I said "total ignorance" in my post but sometimes I feel that these people actually know what happened but still read that rag.

Some probably do, some won't. Educating them will mean that the ones who don't, but do care, will more than likely stop reading it. There will be a few whoppers who don't bother, but it's worth it even if one stops reading it.

• 6 months later...

If you support a club you educate yourself about that club, what it is, what it means, the history etc, and if you do not know the hurt they caused to us on a personal level then fuck off.

We are not alone in the shit and hurt that rag has caused, they thrive on it. I will not go on but I will never, ever forgive or forget.

Or ever try to educate, you educate yourself.

Before reaching for the neg button, could I just ask that you read the full post and give it some thought.

The boycott of The Sun is complete nonsense. I have not bought the paper since 1989 but then I did not buy it before 1989 either - because it is a shit newspaper. Can I or many others in the same situation be said to be boycotting it?

I had many friends/ relatives at Hillsborough and can vividly recall my revulsion at the papers stories. But headlines are created by people, most if not all concerned will not longer have any connection with the paper.

It is now a meaningless symbol of peoples genuine anger over Hillsborough, a focal point to show solidarity and simply too easy to boycott. How many people read The Sunday Times or watch Sky Sports giving money to the same people in another pocket.

I know this is an emotive subject and I have no wish to cause offence but felt it needed saying.

Most of what you said has been rounded on by others already (and maybe the bit I've highlighted, cos to be honest I've skip read most of this thread) but that bit in bold is at least right imo. And for that very reason I do not subscribe to Sky or buy any other paper produced by News International.

The Boycott of the S*n should remain until eternity but more people should go the extra length and avoid giving any money to that twat Murdock's empire at all.

Sorry but didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread in case it has already been mentioned...

Calderdale Council worker who lost relatives at Hillsborough drenches copies of The Sun at Asda - Halifax Today

Calderdale Council worker who lost relatives at Hillsborough drenches copies of The Sun at Asda

Premium Article !

Published Date: 21 December 2009

By Katie Butler

A CALDERDALE Council employee was in court after drenching £40 of newspapers in water.

David Shearer, 31, of New Lane, Siddal, Halifax, twice poured water over copies of The Sun at Asda, Thrum Hall Lane, Pellon.

Shearer, who represented himself at Calderdale Magistrates Court said: "I want people to understand why I did it.

"I lost family at the Hillsborough disaster and the newspaper wrote terrible lies about it.

"It wasn't pre-meditated. I just saw the papers and lost control."

Shearer first doused the papers on April 11 and again on April 13 – the 20th anniversary of the disaster.

Shearer said many newsagents in Liverpool no longer stock the newspaper because of this and that he later telephoned the store to apologise. He must pay £43.20 for the damage and £40 costs.

Well done David Shearer.

I can't believe no one else got onto this!!! FFS Halifax isn't that far from Hillsborough and this was the worst sports disaster in Britain never mind their own fucking county, you'd think the thick bitch who wrote it could research the fucking dates right. That's REALLY pissed me of reading that.

Oh yeah, well done David Shearer, just shows there are some decent people named Shearer out there.