You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC and THAT Newspaper

Antynwa

Good on ya for taking it off her mate.

I've already said on here before about this but i'll say it again..

When i was about 13 (I'm 15 now) i was on holiday and there was a scouse woman lying on a sunbed with a Liverpool towel on it, she was led there reading the S*n. I was so annoyed and wanted to say something but i don't think she would have taken much notice from a 13 year old boy from Dorset.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went away to go to uni. When i used to go to house parties or halls of residence parties, i always got talking to Liverpool fans cos they picked up on my accent. I was talking to some lad from Leicester and he knew his Liverpool FC history and goes to a few games a season. Now, when we went back to his room for a smoke, he had posters of Gerrard on his wall from that newspaper. I just had to educate the lad. theres nothing you can do, if your not from Liverpool the odds are, you not gonna know much about it

Its every Liverpool fans, every Scousers duty to educate the masses

As some of you may know, I work as a steward on a match day at Anfield, now you come across some weird/crazy and daft things all the time.

But I couldn't get my head around a woman, showing off the sun newspaper, donning her Liverpool top whilst walking into the ground, I had to take her aside and ask her did she know what she was doing.

I asked her 'Do you have any knowledge of why that newspaper is hated and boycotted on Merseyside and especially by Liverpool Fans?

She retorted quite angrily and said 'Why are you asking me?', I said 'because for your own safety I'm going to have to take that newspaper and bin it, because it's frowned upon here and you may be confronted by fans, who will be upset'. She was very confused, and she had no indication , I couldn't stay talking to her long because fans where asking where to sit and where the fucking Kop was, and of course the usual 'Can you take me to see Steven Gerrard?'.

I just said to her, you need to read up upon the aftermath of the H'Boro disaster and pointed to a HJC sticker on the wall, she then looked even more confused, gave me the newspaper and then went to her seat.

So my question is, should the club actively support the boycott more than they currently do, or are the club doing enough and it's just the 'odd' 1 or 2 fans that are just blindly ignorant to the reasons why we boycott the paper?

Thoughts....

You did a good thing.

I hate nothing more than people moaning on about how it's not like it used to be etc etc...

We're now a global club and we have fans from all over who we need to be competitive. If we want our support to remain the best in the world despite this shift of focus outside the city limits then the only way is to educate those who we see on a match day in the history and traditions of the club.

I'm sure the way most of us learned the history and traditions of the club was by being told about them by friends and relatives in and around the game. Give others the same chance and let's stop calling our own fans names before they've even gotten a chance.

I don't have any respect for anyone who reads The Sun, Liverpool fan or not. It is a cancer on society and the fact that it is the most popular paper in the country speaks volumes about the level the country has sunk to.

With regards to the Hillsborough coverage, I was in college the day they published their lies and there was some blert reading it out to people when i walked into the classroom. I walked over, grabbed it off him and threw it out of the window.

In the airport coming back from Athens in 2007 a fella in a Liverpool top picked up the Sun in the newspaper shop. I looked at him in pure shock and this old-boy scouser beside me asked why the fuck he was buying that rag? This fella (abouy 24 with a London accent) says "For the tits of course" and smiles. I said to him not to buy that utter shite and he should be ashamed of himself to wear a Liverpool jersey and buy that rag. He walked away but then came back a few seconds later and asked me what he had done wrong??? I told him to google Liverpool football Club, the Sun newspaper and Hillsborough and educate himself when he got home. It was typical of the 2007 European Cup Final experience which was such a polar opposite to 2005 in every way.

I have never personally seen Liverpool fans with a s*n newspaper in their hands and if I did they'd have it taken straight off them.

I despise that rag for all my worth.

I was asked while I was in Scotland last week to buy a copy if there were no copies of the Star left. I'd rather read Trainspotters weekly than be shamed by spotted reading that lying bastard shite.

I never really caught onto to what the s*n did until I was 20 but even then I never bought the fucking thing because I was informed by my parents that it was a Tory paper.

It was a bloke I used to work with from Bootle who told me all about it. The guy was a blue as well and it's not even allowed near his house or to be even spoke about. He hated the s*n that much, he would make the paperboy deliver all the copies of it before even thinking about setting foot on his drive.

By the way. Well done Ant. I'd have done the same as well.

Talking of Mongo Irish reds I saw one on Sunday with a Barca shirt with "anyone but utd" and 09 on the back.

Fuck me.

You know that by law you are allowed to shoot him in the head in Oxford high street with a bow and arrow. Or something.

I live in Lincoln which is a fair distance from Liverpool. I was on the train to Liverpool when we played Blackburn and there was a Reds fan sat reading that shite paper. I went over to him said why you reading that he was like i just picked it up of the seat. So i decided to just take it off him and rip it up and put it in the bin. Fair to say i got a few dodgy looks of some old people but oh well!

Cant stand that paper, makes it worse when I see Liverpudlians with it.

I wish!

I meant to put i went the match with her brother. I was in work at 7 this morning and last night i got woke up by a firework display that sounded like a series of fucking atom bombs, having had a skinful at the match in the day, so expect plently more mistakes where that came from.

Question still remains unanswered. Has he got a big dick? Durrrr.

But it's too late for apologies anyway isn't it?

If both issued full, frank, genuine apologies and retracted their comments along with publishing a proper account of what happened whilst also supporting calls for a fresh enquiry, would any Liverpool fan be thankful?

It doesn't matter what they do, a boycott isn't going to be lifted is it?

No, it's not too late for apologies. Yes. I'd be thankful. I think they still should issue a full front page retraction and apology. I think it would be a fantastic gesture. I still wouldn't buy or read their shitty rag but I'd hugely appreciate the effort they'd made. It's never too late. I have no idea if the boycott would be lifted and nor could I care less.

Just as nothing can bring back those who died that day, just as nothing can repair the damage that has been done to so many people, some heartfelt apologies and honesty would go a long way towards soothing the enormous pain. If one or two key people simply told the truth, the lies and disortion of so many others would be exposed and the rest would fall like the proverbial house of cards.

There is no point in questioning the boycott. Yes, in a perfect world there would be no need for one and instead the people responsible for the scandalous, disgraceful and deplorable policing would be brought to justice. But in a perfect world the events of that day wouldn't have taken place and that deplorable rag wouldn't have printed what it did.

Question still remains unanswered. Has he got a big dick? Durrrr.

Wishing my bird had a penis is one thing but fucking her brother would just be plain weird.

Anyway, you seem great. Can we be mates? Unless the 14 is in relation to your age, in which case romance could be on the cards.

Wishing my bird had a penis is one thing but fucking her brother would just be plain weird.

Anyway, you seem great. Can we be mates? Unless the 14 is in relation to your age, in which case romance could be on the cards.

You'd have to ask Malarkey. He has first dibs on me.

Now I live down here, I do all I can to educate non-reds about it, got a few United and Chelsea fans swerving it now.

Also cover them up when I go to Tescos with copies of the mirror, spent 20 minutes the other day explaining to some Sri Lanken shop owner it all and she's stopped selling it.

I try and do my bit.

been in london a few years now and a lot of fans from other teams have told me how much they respect us for the boycott, I don't know how anyone can read the shitty thing. If ever they don't have a story what do they do? Fit someone up on camera buying drugs or something making a huge scandal, it's not a newspaper its a cunts paper

I was talking to a lad in work with regards to the S*n etc and told him how I cant understand how anyone from Liverpool could buy the rag. This lad informed me (Hes a St Helens lad) that there was a boycott of the paper in St Helens and similar areas from the early 80s after there support of Thatcher over the miners strike. Apparently there are still some smaller independant shops in these areas who want stock the paper and a lot of ex miners feel the same way as reds fans when they see someone buying / reading it.

Also reading tonights Echo there was a piece about Newcastle which init had a number of quotes attributed to the S*n. Have to say this made me feel very uncompftable, I know the story wasnt about us but Im sure the Sports Editor knows how the people who read the Echo feel about this publication.

I have never personally seen Liverpool fans with a s*n newspaper in their hands and if I did they'd have it taken straight off them.

I despise that rag for all my worth.

I was asked while I was in Scotland last week to buy a copy if there were no copies of the Star left. I'd rather read Trainspotters weekly than be shamed by spotted reading that lying bastard shite.

I never really caught onto to what the s*n did until I was 20 but even then I never bought the fucking thing because I was informed by my parents that it was a Tory paper.

It was a bloke I used to work with from Bootle who told me all about it. The guy was a blue as well and it's not even allowed near his house or to be even spoke about. He hated the s*n that much, he would make the paperboy deliver all the copies of it before even thinking about setting foot on his drive.

By the way. Well done Ant. I'd have done the same as well.

Errrr. That's not a boycott. That's weird.

Well done Ant.

I travel a fair few miles on the motorway to get to Anfield and normally take a break (sometimes even two) on the way. Almost every single time I find someone wearing the Liverpool jersey/scarf, sipping a coffee and reading the S*n. Just astonishing.

I used to get wound up and tell them what reading that rag means. This has happened many times and I normally get a strange look and couple of them have even got angry with me. Most of them just smile and go back to reading that rag. Unbelievable. Total ignorance.

These days, I just don't bother.