You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC and THAT Newspaper

Antynwa

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before reaching for the neg button, could I just ask that you read the full post and give it some thought.

The boycott of The Sun is complete nonsense. I have not bought the paper since 1989 but then I did not buy it before 1989 either - because it is a shit newspaper. Can I or many others in the same situation be said to be boycotting it?

I had many friends/ relatives at Hillsborough and can vividly recall my revulsion at the papers stories. But headlines are created by people, most if not all concerned will not longer have any connection with the paper.

It is now a meaningless symbol of peoples genuine anger over Hillsborough, a focal point to show solidarity and simply too easy to boycott. How many people read The Sunday Times or watch Sky Sports giving money to the same people in another pocket.

I know this is an emotive subject and I have no wish to cause offence but felt it needed saying.

I'm not going to neg you, freedom of speech and all that, but the bit in bold is complete shit.

Kelvin McKenzie had editorial responsibility for the Hillsborough lies and he still writes for the paper.

Before reaching for the neg button, could I just ask that you read the full post and give it some thought.

The boycott of The Sun is complete nonsense. I have not bought the paper since 1989 but then I did not buy it before 1989 either - because it is a shit newspaper. Can I or many others in the same situation be said to be boycotting it?

I had many friends/ relatives at Hillsborough and can vividly recall my revulsion at the papers stories. But headlines are created by people, most if not all concerned will not longer have any connection with the paper.

It is now a meaningless symbol of peoples genuine anger over Hillsborough, a focal point to show solidarity and simply too easy to boycott. How many people read The Sunday Times or watch Sky Sports giving money to the same people in another pocket.

I know this is an emotive subject and I have no wish to cause offence but felt it needed saying.

Has Mckenzie apologised properly? - No

Have the Sun Apologised unreservedly? - No

Then you're talking utter shite.

Didn't think about that, probably something to read...all be it a bad choice...She was Irish but It doesn't make any difference.

Says it all really.

As i said before, many people over here havent got a clue about the clubs history and tradition and they don't show any respect for it.

It's a show of unity from the fans to each other and most importantly the families of the 96 that anyone who perpatrates such disgraceful lies will not be forgiven and the way they treid to tarnish their memory will never be forgiven. Of course it's not a fool proof way of hitting the people we're aiming for in the pocket but it's a gesture of support and one that a lot of people who follow the club you support feel very strongly about.

It's a way of people choose to show their feelings about something that is still very raw to them. If you are as literal about the impact it can have then, in reality, most protests are pointless and people like us should just roll over and let anyone with a bit of power and influence shit all over us, or at least my pipe up straight afterwards and then let them move on to the next victim. I'll never, ever so that and i know the majority of people around here feel exactly the same way.

Says it all really.

As i said before, many people over here havent got a clue about the clubs history and tradition and they don't show any respect for it.

How can they show respect for something they dont know about? It's a very emotive subject in this city but you cant expect people to know everything that went on just cos someone had offered them a ticket.

Recently i was at Ireland v bulgaria at croke park in dublin. Afterwards i was waiting for my mate to come as we were sitting in different ends and i saw a guy walk past me wearing a liverpool scarf, liverpool jacket and you could visibly see the liverpool jersey he had on underneath the jacket but lo and behold he was wearing a green hat saying "trappas army" and a big s*n label on it.

Couldnt believe it.

I went back to the ucd campus and told some of my mates and one whos a supposed liverpool fan said "sure who cares, its the best newspaper out there"

Absolutely dumbfounded

Has Mckenzie apologised properly? - No

Have the Sun Apologised unreservedly? - No

Then you're talking utter shite.

But it's too late for apologies anyway isn't it?

If both issued full, frank, genuine apologies and retracted their comments along with publishing a proper account of what happened whilst also supporting calls for a fresh enquiry, would any Liverpool fan be thankful?

It doesn't matter what they do, a boycott isn't going to be lifted is it?

It may or may not be of relevance/interest, but on the last two occasions I've travelled over, The S*n was the ONLY red-top rag available for sale on Irish Ferries services between Dublin and Holyhead. There were hundreds of Reds on board each time, plenty of them either unfamiliar with the boycott or happy to ignore for the sake of a "read".

It doesn't excuse or justify the dozens of Irish Reds who carry the rag around Liverpool on matchdays, but it might go some small way towards explaining.

It may or may not be of relevance/interest, but on the last two occasions I've travelled over, The S*n was the ONLY red-top rag available for sale on Irish Ferries services between Dublin and Holyhead. There were hundreds of Reds on board each time, plenty of them either unfamiliar with the boycott or happy to ignore for the sake of a "read".

It doesn't excuse or justify the dozens of Irish Reds who carry the rag around Liverpool on matchdays, but it might go some small way towards explaining.

I'd read the Health & Safety instructions before I'd read that fucking thing, no matter how long I had to travel.

Recently i was at Ireland v bulgaria at croke park in dublin. Afterwards i was waiting for my mate to come as we were sitting in different ends and i saw a guy walk past me wearing a liverpool scarf, liverpool jacket and you could visibly see the liverpool jersey he had on underneath the jacket but lo and behold he was wearing a green hat saying "trappas army" and a big s*n label on it.

Couldnt believe it.

I went back to the ucd campus and told some of my mates and one whos a supposed liverpool fan said "sure who cares, its the best newspaper out there"

Absolutely dumbfounded

Fuck me UCD have let their entry requirements slip a bit.

I saw a grown fella in the Solly last year about 30 mins before kick off reading the sun, i was fuckin fumin - went over and asked him why he was reading the sun - he said he found it! On holiday in Salou 2 years ago theres a fella with a lfc top on reading the sun - same again looking at me like i am crazy when i opened my mouth, to be fair though he was a cockney. I have seen scousers reading the sun and it makes my blood boil but they are mostly the younger lads.

I was at that match and these hats were being given out outside the ground and when I was handed one, I handed it straight back.

true ive a mate who claims to be a liverpool supporter and he buys that fuckin rag when j challenge him on it and ask what the fuck is he at he just says really sarcasticaly fuck it!! absolute cunt dont even talkto him about football anymore i was clued up on it from family from a young age i just think a lot of people need to be educated on it as they dont know why we buycott that shie rag.