You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC and THAT Newspaper

Antynwa

As some of you may know, I work as a steward on a match day at Anfield, now you come across some weird/crazy and daft things all the time.

But I couldn't get my head around a woman, showing off the sun newspaper, donning her Liverpool top whilst walking into the ground, I had to take her aside and ask her did she know what she was doing.

I asked her 'Do you have any knowledge of why that newspaper is hated and boycotted on Merseyside and especially by Liverpool Fans?

She retorted quite angrily and said 'Why are you asking me?', I said 'because for your own safety I'm going to have to take that newspaper and bin it, because it's frowned upon here and you may be confronted by fans, who will be upset'. She was very confused, and she had no indication , I couldn't stay talking to her long because fans where asking where to sit and where the fucking Kop was, and of course the usual 'Can you take me to see Steven Gerrard?'.

I just said to her, you need to read up upon the aftermath of the H'Boro disaster and pointed to a HJC sticker on the wall, she then looked even more confused, gave me the newspaper and then went to her seat.

So my question is, should the club actively support the boycott more than they currently do, or are the club doing enough and it's just the 'odd' 1 or 2 fans that are just blindly ignorant to the reasons why we boycott the paper?

Thoughts....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be good if the club banned it but i'm not sure they'd be legally allowed to do it. It's not like it's a controlled substance, although it fucking should be. You did the right thing by just letting us know.

One thing we have to remember is that part of being a big club in our league means we'll be getting lots of new fans each year from outside of the city and you cant expeted them all to know the things we take for granted. My bird is from Belfast and i went the match with him earlier this year and he got the News of the World. Thing is if you haven't grown up here you're not gonna know the ins and outs of it. How many scousers with Irish heritage know everything that went over there in the last 30 odd years?

So yes, you definately did the right thing but as long as people aren't beig twats about it it's important not to go over the top about it imo. Let them know the score and hopefully that will be that.

Well done completely. If she went in, she would have just been shouted at probably, and would be none the wiser as to her sin. But you told her to read up on it, and pointed her in the right direction. Hopefully when she got home she looked it up, and feels you educated her properly.

Nice one, Ant.

It would be good if the club banned it but i'm not sure they'd be legally allowed to do it. It's not like it's a controlled substance, although it fucking should be. You did the right thing by just letting us know.

One thing we have to remember is that part of being a big club in our league means we'll be getting lots of new fans each year from outside of the city and you cant expeted them all to know the things we take for granted. My bird is from Belfast and i went the match with him earlier this year and he got the News of the World. Thing is if you haven't grown up here you're not gonna know the ins and outs of it. How many scousers with Irish heritage know everything that went over there in the last 30 odd years?

So yes, you definately did the right thing but as long as people aren't beig twats about it it's important not to go over the top about it imo. Let them know the score and hopefully that will be that.

What's he like? Has he got a big dick or is he post-op?

Guest The Chimp

First and foremost good on you Ant - seriously mate, you should be proud of yourself. Your actions were pretty much spot on here, and the way to approach some people who might genuinely mean no ill-will, but nevertheless need educating about that particular paper.

As for the specific question, I think, yes, the club should most certainly actively support the boycott. How it might go about such an approach, however, is for a more legally-savvy mind than mine.

If all the stewards act like you do then the club is actively doing it's bit. I don't think they can do any more then that short of grabbing it off people, but that never works as the person just thinks they've been mugged.

How you acted Ant is exactly what I would like to see happen every time. Education, and the offending piece of shite removed (the paper, not the women). Good work.

ps - why didn't you take that kid to see Steven Gerrard you heartless cunt?

What's he like? Has he got a big dick or is he post-op?

I wish!

I meant to put i went the match with her brother. I was in work at 7 this morning and last night i got woke up by a firework display that sounded like a series of fucking atom bombs, having had a skinful at the match in the day, so expect plently more mistakes where that came from.

I would imagine it doesnt happen that often, and that was the first time you've ever seen someone do that. Maybe not the first time its happened at anfield, but for you I would think. It is just the odd one or two, people who really get into this club should be more than clever enough not to buy that thing, let alone to bring it to the ground.

Btw, what do you say to people who ask you to take them to steven gerrard, and are you stewarding the youth cup final tomorrow night... :whistle:

Well done mate.

I think the club should be aiming the boycott a bit further away from anfield. Like Dublin, scandanavia etc. Most people over here don't understand the importance of Hillsborough and the boycott of the S*n. If they focus more on people my age they will get less people buying that rag and bringing anywhere near the ground.

Was walking to the ground for the Blackburn game back in April and saw some " fan " with the same rag in his hand and I couldnt believe my eyes , I didnt say nowt tho and I still feel bad about it to this day , I should of done tbh, I know that, but I didnt want to just go up to some random and tell him what not to do like . . . Anyway it blew me away and I thought fuckin god help him if he gets seen with that shite . . .

Btw, what do you say to people who ask you to take them to steven gerrard, and are you stewarding the youth cup final tomorrow night... :whistle:

I crack up, I just say to them that you can't see the players and neither can the other 45,000 some of them look bemused by it, some of them laugh and accept it, others get a bit pissy which is even funnier.

It's generally the corporates or those who are in the VIP section which ask to do so, and who have never been to Anfield before.

Raises a laugh like.

ps - why didn't you take that kid to see Steven Gerrard you heartless cunt?

You answered you're own question right there ;)

I crack up, I just say to them that you can't see the players and neither can the other 45,000 some of them look bemused by it, some of them laugh and accept it, others get a bit pissy which is even funnier.

It's generally the corporates or those who are in the VIP section which ask to do so, and who have never been to Anfield before.

Raises a laugh like.

Is this for real? People have actually asked you to take them to see the players? :wow:

Is this for real? People have actually asked you to take them to see the players? :wow:

Yes, it's very, very very common. As is asking for transfers to the Kop or some other part of the stadium.

At half time v Chelsea in the European Cup we had a few muslims come down asking which was to 'Mecca' and they wanted a place to pray. The club have been asked to have a designated place to worship.

We let them, it was very uncomfortable because it was a small space and you had people trying to avoid the crowds and trying to find quiet so they could ring friends. We've been told not to allow it due to health and safety but they where out of the way.

Whatever they prayed for, it wasn't for a Liverpool win, and if they did, it didn't fucking work.

I saw this in the Anny road end a few years ago.

What made it worse was the fact it was a Hillsborough anniversary game. A middle-aged Brummie couple, scarved and pin-badged up to fuck, were sat along from me. At half-time the woman pulls the paper out and sits reading.

My jaw actually dropped and I said to my mate something like ' jesus christ would you look at this fuckin bint'. The fella sat in front of me was more direct, he went over, grabbed the rag and , in no uncertain terms, pointed out the error of her ways.

What got me was, like Ant, her complete ignorance and amazement at the reaction she'd got. Her old man actually complained to a steward that ' he's took me wife's paaypur' . The steward was a credit to the club. He told this pair of clowns that they didn't know if the lad had lost somebody in Sheffield and it wasn't on to read 'that paper in this stadium ever, but especially not today'.

Made me wonder where the fuck we were going for a while though.

Before reaching for the neg button, could I just ask that you read the full post and give it some thought.

The boycott of The Sun is complete nonsense. I have not bought the paper since 1989 but then I did not buy it before 1989 either - because it is a shit newspaper. Can I or many others in the same situation be said to be boycotting it?

I had many friends/ relatives at Hillsborough and can vividly recall my revulsion at the papers stories. But headlines are created by people, most if not all concerned will not longer have any connection with the paper.

It is now a meaningless symbol of peoples genuine anger over Hillsborough, a focal point to show solidarity and simply too easy to boycott. How many people read The Sunday Times or watch Sky Sports giving money to the same people in another pocket.

I know this is an emotive subject and I have no wish to cause offence but felt it needed saying.