You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, he made some wrong choices, dont we all.

Did anyone see the the Sunderland fans with the cards at the end of their game. "Lets all laugh at Newcastle. Ha Ha Ha" Fuck sake they were nearly relegated themselves, and karmas gonna get them.

I thought it was weird seeing them (and Hull) celebrate that they were not as shit as Newcastle, rather than being better than them - if that makes sense. There was only a couple of points between them as well. Any of them could have went today, it wasn't as though Sunderland put a sterling run together like Fulham last year.

(that all made sense in my head)

i remember the second we won the penalty shootout in istanbul... the first thought that popped into my head was... owen must be kicking himself right now...

it felt so satisfying to know how much he must have been regeretting his decision to betray this team....

but now i just feel sorry for him...

meh... life is such and such is life

Considering how crap Owen is now he did us all a favour by not returning and taking the pay check in Newcastle- injuries have done him in. I hope we don't bring him in as a back up as I would rather remember the Owen we once had that was a fantastic player for us.

Seeing him come on for them yesterday, i just didn't associate him with the player we had. I don't feel that much towards him either way. He fucked up when he left. he fucked up when he didn't come back when he could have.

As for newcastle, you normally look at the big teams going down and think, they were too good to go down, but looking at Newcastle, they really weren't. They were utterly shit and i can't think of any of their players i would have.

i remember the second we won the penalty shootout in istanbul... the first thought that popped into my head was... owen must be kicking himself right now...

Really? How sad for you.

Always rated him as a player but never liked him or ever trusted him.

Once a blue always a blue and all that...

EDIT: :slaps fod: of course, it's McManaman syndrome.

Like Fowler, Rush, etc?

I've never subscribed to the "He's a traitor" view about Owen. However, I can't help but reflect with a small degree of satisfaction on the way the career of a player who so obviously set his sights on individual rather than team glory has faded. He has always chased both the dollar and the Charlton record. Neither of those are intrinsically bad, but they led him to place self over club on countless occasions and killed his career in the process.

If I was him, I'd realise that my only hope of redemption would be to play less. So I'd either beg Rafa for a deal on a massively reduced wage and accept bit-part status or join Steve Bruce at Wigan and try and rehabilitate myself through honest, humble endeavour, fitness permitting. I suspect he'll do neither. He'll sign for another sub-CL side on huge wages and continue to decline as he struggles to cope with the demands to play at his peak every week. Villa, Spurs or City are my bets.

where does he go now though? revisionism aside he's nowhere near good enough for a top 4 side, I cant see him going abroad again
Cant remember if I've posted this before but.

Ive heard on the grapevine that Everton are trying to get a pay as you play deal for him and Owen is keen on it. TBH after the season Everton have had I have to ask if they need him.

Owen's out of contract, he's free.

It hurts to see Owen in a LFC shirt - happy and good, and his greed let him down. He saw the lights, but the grass isn't always greener.

I can't hate him though. He was my idol for 5 years when I first started watching football.

I don't think it's fair to say he was greedy.

He left for Madrid because he wanted to play abroad for one of, if not the, biggest clubs in the world. He didn't leave us because Madrid were offering more money.

And he didn't reject us again a year later because Newcastle were offering more money. He knew if he joined Newcastle he'd be a guaranteed starter and that would seal his place in the world cup squad.

He might not bleed Liverpool red blood, but I don't think it's fair to label him as greedy. Though maybe we'll see what his real motivation is this summer...