You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appointing the coaches is a job for CEO - just like when he appointed Rafael Benitez. It can go wrong as well as right.

I'm sure David Gill, David Dein, Kenyon have declined some players because of their valuation. I'm also sure Rafa, Wenger and Slur have all signed players for more than what they were worth.

How much is Torres worth now? £60m? £70m? So Parry did a truly amazing job by signing him for £20m? Or should the credit go to Rafa for this one?

Parry was an useless tit - we all know that Coop but blaming him for the coaching/playing side of things by naming a handful of players is naive.

You have me wrong mate im not blaming all the playing side on Parry but you asked regards what input he had so i mentioned the few deals i knew of.

Rafa like any manager has done some terrible transfers with players like Josemi instantly springing to mind so it would be foolish to blame such deals like that on Parry.

I also have to give Parry credit in getting Torres as cheap as he did.

No one likes Parry but he did his jerb during the Barry thing last summer, and was probably as confused as everyone. The Barry saga is what tipped Alonso over the edge, the monetary incentive and chance to become part of a new Galacticos just helps.

You are the policeman off Allo Allo' and i claim my fiver.

No fan of Parry, but i cringe when people start blaming him for poor Rafa purchases. There's simply no way Rafa would have a player forced on him like some seem to suggest was the case with Keane. At best there's the conspiracy that he signed Keane to prove some sort of point, which is fanciful to say the least.

There was even that one, that had David Villa in Liverpool , ready to sign, only for the big bad evil Parry to take it upon himself to sign Keane instead. Laughable.

No fan of Parry, but i cringe when people start blaming him for poor Rafa purchases. There's simply no way Rafa would have a player forced on him like some seem to suggest was the case with Keane. At best there's the conspiracy that he signed Keane to prove some sort of pint, which is fanciful to say the least.

There was even that one, that had David Villa in Liverpool , ready to sign, only for the big bad evil Parry to take it upon himself to sign Keane instead. Laughable.

Whose blaming him for poor Rafa purchases because if you mean me due to me bring Parry up then im not.

Read my posts above.

No one likes Parry but he did his jerb during the Barry thing last summer, and was probably as confused as everyone. The Barry saga is what tipped Alonso over the edge, the monetary incentive and chance to become part of a new Galacticos just helps.

Thankfully Xabi's has more class than a number of posters on this forum! and his response was to set about proving Rafa wrong and rediscovering the form that led us to love him. (and Madrid to want to pay 25 million pounds for him, when nobody wanted to pay 12 for him last year!)

Rather than constantly whinge and bitch at every available opportunity about how much of a bad man Rafa is, and if only people could open their eyes and ears and see Rafa in his true light!

Ludicrous!

Whose blaming him for poor Rafa purchases because if you mean me due to me bring Parry up then im not.

Read my posts above.

Genuinely wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just my thoughts really on the whole Parry Rafa thing and the people that do genuinely seem to believe Parry was off making signings willy nilly without any input from Rafa.

Thankfully Xabi's has more class than a number of posters on this forum! and his response was to set about proving Rafa wrong and rediscovering the form that led us to love him. (and Madrid to want to pay 25 million pounds for him, when nobody wanted to pay 12 for him last year!)

Rather than constantly whinge and bitch at every available opportunity about how much of a bad man Rafa is, and if only people could open their eyes and ears and see Rafa in his true light!

Ludicrous!

All hail the new Messiah!

You have me wrong mate im not blaming all the playing side on Parry but you asked regards what input he had so i mentioned the few deals i knew of.

Rafa like any manager has done some terrible transfers with players like Josemi instantly springing to mind so it would be foolish to blame such deals like that on Parry.

I also have to give Parry credit in getting Torres as cheap as he did.

Fair play, Coop. For the record, I wasn't being an arse by picking 1 point out of several you made to have an argument with you.

Its just that in my view, Parry had the same say on coaching appointments and transfer dealings as David Gill or Dein or Kenyon. Of course he made a few mistakes (eg., Walcott) but he has also made some good appointments including the appointment of Benitez. He has also supported the manager in numerous transfers.

Anyway, this is completely off the topic of this thread so I better shut up now.

Rafa:

2. Pissed off because Alonso took pako`s side.

3. Tried to sell Alonso for nothing other than an personal agenda.

4. Desperatly tried to get rid off him for a cut down price.

2. I would be too if I was Rafa.

3. So there was no club in the world that would take Xabi on a free?

4. Why didn't anyone pay this cut down price??

I mean it's like we wanted to give him away, sooner the better according to you. He must of been complete shite for 2 years if no one would take him for 'nothing'.

:whistle:

The Guardian:

Xabi Alonso has told Rafa Benítez that he wants to leave Anfield. Real Madrid have made no secret of their desire to sign the midfielder and are hopeful that Alonso will be able to persuade the Liverpool manager to sell. Should that fail, they are keen for him to force Liverpool's hand by going one step further and publicly stating his desire to play at the Santiago Bernabéu.

Madrid are understood to have tabled a bid in the region of €27m (£23m) only to have the offer turned down. Spanish media reported that they had returned with a lower offer in light of the pressure exerted by the player on Benítez. Although Alonso is reluctant to go public, he has privately asked his manager to listen to offers from the Spanish club.

The Madrid coach, Manuel Pellegrini, admitted that he was keen to sign Alonso. Madrid lack a midfield playmaker and there is a desire to increase the number of Spaniards at the club. The club's president, Florentino Pérez, has talked about the need to "Spanishise" Real Madrid, and Pellegrini said: "We need a midfielder [and] Alonso would fit our system."

But having spent more than €150m on Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka, Madrid are reluctant to be pushed into paying over £30m for Alonso, because he does not fit into the galactico category of players who generate cash for the club.

Although Benítez tried to force Alonso out last summer as he pursued Gareth Barry, he missed out on the former Aston Villa player when he joined Manchester City last month. That has left Liverpool with few alternatives in central midfield and Benítez publicly says that Alonso is not for sale. Privately he is understood to be willing to sell – but only for £30m or more.

Benítez also does not want to appear to be responsible for Alonso's departure after fans reacted angrily to his proposed sale last season. Liverpool supporters made a public display of support for the Spaniard and chanted anti-Barry songs. Alonso then finished the season as the fans' player of the year.

A public declaration of intent from Alonso would thus suit the Liverpool manager as well as Real Madrid but Benítez remains determined not to be bullied on the price.

Alonso still has three years left to run on his contract. "It is no mystery that we are interested in him," Pellegrini said, "but we know it will not be easy."

This needs sorting out asap. Just look at Spurs last season when they waited until close to the deadline to sell Keane and Berbatov; they ended up with a lot of money but no time to spend it.

It's a tough one because if we decide to just sell him now, then we may only get £25M but if we wait until the deadline, we may get £30M. Is it worth an extra £5M though if you can't then go and spend the money?!

This needs sorting out asap. Just look at Spurs last season when they waited until close to the deadline to sell Keane and Berbatov; they ended up with a lot of money but no time to spend it.

It's a tough one because if we decide to just sell him now, then we may only get £25M but if we wait until the deadline, we may get £30M. Is it worth an extra £5M though if you can't then go and spend the money?!

I'm sure the lovely Gillett and Hicks will find a way to spend it though.

Is absolutely spot on, Mr Brownie. The Spurs situation - where Levy held out for a larger fee - is a good parallel. Spurs didn't just end up with lots of unspent money, but the saga completely disrupted and undermined their pre-Christmas season. Yoiu could also say we did this in january re keane. Wonder where that fee went - certainly not into any transfer budget (at Liverpool at any rate)

On the Keane saga, how come I knew Keane was Rafa`s preferred choice as the incoming striker already in February/March if this was all ParrYs work?

Probably because anyone who is anyone in world football phones you first, just to make sure they are doing the right thing!

Is absolutely spot on, Mr Brownie. The Spurs situation - where Levy held out for a larger fee - is a good parallel. Spurs didn't just end up with lots of unspent money, but the saga completely disrupted and undermined their pre-Christmas season. Yoiu could also say we did this in january re keane. Wonder where that fee went - certainly not into any transfer budget (at Liverpool at any rate)

Sounds like Alonso wants it sorted before pre-season training himself. Problem is if Madrid need to sell before they can buy he may not get that wish either.

Probably because anyone who is anyone in world football phones you first, just to make sure they are doing the right thing!

If they did. Keane would never have ended up at Anfield, his level is more Highfield.

Agreed totally but this situation is different as it wasnt until quite late in the day that Keane put in a transfer request however with Xabi he has more or less put one in unless he turns round and says to the press that he never said he wanted to join Real Madrid. In reality by Monday it will be sorted one way or the other when Xabi and Rafa wll be questioned on the subject and any declaration of no coment from Xabi is as good as saying he wants to join real IMO.

I fully expect this to be resolved to the stage where Xabi can or cannot play for the club again within the next 5 days.

Rafa's next press conference should be very interesting indeed.