You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

Spanish league is suddenly better than ours

Only when Rafa was there.

Nailed

*Throws goalpost into another field*

And so it goes on.

God help Aquilani if he plays in Xabi's position, he'll be crucified every match.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think he owed the fans. We stuck by him last Summer, big time. I'd like to have thought he'd have appreciate how close we are and the wishes of the fans who possibly saved his Liverpool career last summer, and gave us one more season. I know it doesn't always work like that but I do feel like he's shit on us, the fans.

all the best xabi - thanks for the memories

Indeed, as a player and as a man. I think Xabi has shown a lot of dignity during this never-ending transfer (as He did last year). He has maintained a low-profile.

We'll miss the player and the guy, for sure !

Just think he owed the fans. We stuck by him last Summer, big time. I'd like to have thought he'd have appreciate how close we are and the wishes of the fans who possibly saved his Liverpool career last summer, and gave us one more season. I know it doesn't always work like that but I do feel like he's shit on us, the fans.

A lot of our fans weren't that arsed that we were looking to sell him last summer. I know the Lazio game showed the general consensus, but I don't think he owed anyone anything.

If anything, you could argue that he was owed a bit of loyalty after a great season last year but he was still trying to be replaced.

He has been a very good player for us in the last 5 years. And who can forget the night in May 2005 when he played a HUGE part in the No.5.

The game against Olympiakos at Anfield comes to mind when Xabi played a fucking blinder (even though Gerrard stole the limelight when he scored with 4 mins to go). And the game against Everton when Gerrard was sent off. Fucking amazing player.

I'm totally gutted but this was coming for a long time anyway.

Good luck Xabi lad - I hope you score 15 goals and have 30 assists over there but I also hope the cunts concede more than they score and get relegated. You can then come back to us for a cut price.

Poulsen or Aquilini or Cattermole - let us back Rafa and the boys. We only have a fucking title to win this season. Onwards and upwards.

I appreciate what he did for us. The goal in Istanbul will never be forgotten.

I think we did well to get £30m for him despite him being a class player and we will miss his passing and the control he brings, but hopefully we can absorb the loss somehow with maybe a change of style.

I hope he flops at Madrid (as ultimately that means they have flopped) now from a completely selfish point of view. They don't deserve a player of his class

No mate. He doesn't owe us anything. He came here when he was young, got adapted to English football very quickly and became one of the influential player almost instantly.

He was a joy to watch and has always been respectful to the fans. Gave us 5 good years and won us the number 5. Even in the very last interview he didn't say anything disrespectful towards us - he said he just wanted the issue to be sorted one way or other. Which tells me that he wasn't too bothered to stay.

He will be someone I always respect and watch.

Which is lot more than I can say about a certain Michael Owen who was "brought" up at Liverpool Football Club.

i dont know why people are getting too worked up about his replacement, not many knew him when he arrived, nor momo not to mention arbeloa, agger, skrtel etc

Alonso was known as a really good up and coming player, to be fair. I remember being excited that we were linked with him because he was playing really well for Sociedad when they nearly won the league.

I'm worried about the replacement because you can't guarantee anything with a new signing whereas you can guarantee that Alonso has quality.

Benitez takes his share of the blame for what happened last summer. Alonso takes his this summer. Liverpool FC moves on.

Thanks for the work you put in playing in the shirt. I wish you well on a personal level, and success with the Spainish national squad. I hope you win fuck all playing for those shower of cunts though (Madrid).

Onwards and upwards.

Guest RafaIsRafa
Alonso was a Spanish international when he joined us, a player linked with Man United and Real Madrid - he was by no means a nobody.

We know, Rafa isnt allowed any credit for his signing as the whole world knew how incredible he was. You've said.

*awaits a "wearethebest" comeback*

A lot of our fans weren't that arsed that we were looking to sell him last summer. I know the Lazio game showed the general consensus, but I don't think he owed anyone anything.

If anything, you could argue that he was owed a bit of loyalty after a great season last year but he was still trying to be replaced.

His name has been sung more than anyone this season, including Torres and Stevie, and I think even though a lot of people on the forums last summer said they were happy for him to go, it's the response and atmosphere at the match that matters really, as I highly doubt Xabi would've been lurking on here. Even just last week, the love and support shown for him by the supporters in the Far East probably even eclipsed what he gets here. Like I said, I know football doesn't work like that and players look after themselves. But still feel he maybe could've gave us one more season, atleast for the fan's sake. Had he have done that, won us the league, and went next summer then I'd have drove him to Madrid.

That's just the old romantic in me talking though. genuinely gutted about him leaving. Been my favourite player since one of his first game's at Anfield when we beat Norwich 3-0, and I walked out the ground with my jaw at my feet, totally in awe of the performance this new spanish lad had given. Think Nigel Worthington said after the game that Xabi had gave one the the most complete performances he'd ever seen. He sprayed pass after pass around the park, totally bossing and dictating the match. Then being there in Istabul a few months later. Fuckin devastated he's off, it's just hitting me now.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Alonso was known as a really good up and coming player, to be fair. I remember being excited that we were linked with him because he was playing really well for Sociedad when they nearly won the league.

I'm worried about the replacement because you can't guarantee anything with a new signing whereas you can guarantee that Alonso has quality.

To be fair, bar the Keane disaster, whenever he's had significant money to spend on a single player, he's spent it well.

His name has been sung more than anyone this season, including Torres and Stevie, and I think even though a lot of people on the forums last summer said they were happy for him to go, it's the response and atmosphere at the match that matters really, as I highly doubt Xabi would've been lurking on here. Even just last week, the love and support shown for him by the supporters in the Far East probably even eclipsed what he gets here. Like I said, I know football doesn't work like that and players look after themselves. But still feel he maybe could've gave us one more season, atleast for the fan's sake. Had he have done that, won us the league, and went next summer then I'd have drove him to Madrid.

That's just the old romantic in me talking though. genuinely gutted about him leaving. Been my favourite player since one of his first game's at Anfield when we beat Norwich 3-0, and I walked out the ground with my jaw at my feet, totally in awe of the performance this new spanish lad had given. Think Nigel Worthington said after the game that Xabi had gave one the the most complete performances he'd ever seen. He sprayed pass after pass around the park, totally bossing and dictating the match. Then being there in Istabul a few months later. Fuckin devastated he's off, it's just hitting me now.

I feel exactly the same but Xabi isn't the person I feel a bit angry with. We cheated on him with Barry, if you like, and he felt he couldn't go on because of it.

It's all stupid and political but unfortunately that's how things are dealt with right now.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Alonso was a Spanish international when he joined us, a player linked with Man United and Real Madrid - he was by no means a nobody.

A player that ultimately Real and United were not happy to take a gamble on for a relatively cheap £10,500,000, no?

I'm locking this thread and the transfer speculation one, as it's possible (probably even according to a post I read on the vb help forums) that they are contributing to the high server load. So I guess you'll have to post in the other Xabi thread, and start new ones for transfer speculation.

To be fair, bar the Keane disaster, whenever he's had significant money to spend on a single player, he's spent it well.

The only time he's spent 'significant' money is on Torres, Keane and Johnson i'd say. Unless we are taking £10M as significant, in which case i'd say Babel is a failure as a signing.

I'd be surprised if the £30M went on one player as well, we HAVE to replace Alonso and then see what's left for an attacking player.