You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on this thing...

Xabi would not be unhappy about going to Madrid - equally, he'd be just as happy to say where he is. On top of this, he's enjoying being in some demand, both with us and Madrid and is probably getting some minor schadenfreude style satisfaction at Rafa's minor discomfort in all this.

He won't ask for a transfer not because of the money/loyalty (I've never been convinced he has that mercenary instinct) but because he's not that bothered about moving adopting the 'if they want me, then they'll pay', which given the money they've forked out for Placcy. Kaka, Benzema and even Albiol would seem a reasonable stance to take.

The fact he is a Basque and his dad was a Barcalona hero won't stop him going to Madrid if they come up with the full wonga - but it might give him a wry grin at their predicament too.

My take is that he really wants to go to Madrid, and Benitez is not exactly averse to selling him, so it comes down to whether we can get the price we want. If we can then he will go and both he and Rafa will be happy. If we can't then he will stay and both he and Rafa will get on with the season.

My take is that he really wants to go to Madrid, and Benitez is not exactly averse to selling him, so it comes down to whether we can get the price we want. If we can then he will go and both he and Rafa will be happy. If we can't then he will stay and both he and Rafa will get on with the season.

Similar to my own position then, except for the emphasis. I don't think he really wants to go to Madrid (he's certainly not adverse to it however) as he could force it in a number of ways, most obviously by handing in a request. He hasn't and he won't, which in the end indicates to me that although given a straight choice he may well prefer the Madrid chance, not by much and he's not all that bothered enough to push it.

zigackly

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
My take on this thing...

Xabi would not be unhappy about going to Madrid - equally, he'd be just as happy to say where he is.

He really, really wants to go Madrid, it's just not the way he, his agent or Madrid had planned.

As a result Madrid are looking at having to pay roughly double what they originally intended

The rest is merely specualtion and a interesting game of brinkmanship, not only between LFC and Xabi

But also interesting one between Xabi and Madrid

That is about the top and bottom of it

He really, really wants to go Madrid, it's just not the way he, his agent or Madrid had planned.

As a result Madrid are looking at having to pay roughly double what they originally intended

The rest is merely specualtion and a interesting game of brinkmanship, not only between LFC and Xabi

Im tipping Andy that you feel none of them expected Rafa to stick a 35m euro pricetag on Xabi and to stick by it.

Usually agree with you Andy, but if he really, really wants to go he can force the issue - and he hasn't and it seems, won't. Therefore allthough I'm happy to go along with the idea that Real may well be his first choice (and certainly his agent's), I'm still not that convinced when push comes to shove that Alonso himself is all that arsed and that if he had to stay, then he doesn't really mind that either.

I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that he wants to go. And it hurts. I realize he's been treated badly, but he knows the fans love him to death and the manager is now saying publicly that he wants him to stay. He knows that's as close to an apology he'll get from Rafa anyway. Stay, Xabi!

Well exactly - I think he wants to go, but not as much as some think and who knows - maybe not as much as he may have thought himself.

He still might go, but with each day that passes the chances of him staying increase - he may well get pissed off with Madrid's reluctance to pay the asking price too and call an end to it.

The other unknown is how much of the Xabi fee Rafa would be allowed to reinvest? A few decent rumours that he's been told that he'd only get whatever instalment Madrid paid this summer - so if the fee were £30m over 3 payments, Rafa would only get to see £10m of it. Which might explain why Purslow apparently told Madrid that we wanted payment up front, as indeed United received for Ronaldo.

What disappoints me now is that Xabi ought to be aware that MAdrid don't REALLY want him (rather like us and Barry last summer, some would say?) - he is, as perez put it weeks ago, "a low priority signing". It's time for him to come out and commit to Liverpool now before his reputation with most of the fans becomes unsalvageable. Xabi isn't stupid, but he's giving a good impression of being so this summer...

Guest Dog Chaser

I was certain he was going and i wasn't expecting him to join the squad in Switzerland, not that it means he isn't going. If we get £25 million or more then i think we have done very well from it. Step up Mr Spearing.

Another angle is this.

'Liverpool want me, Madrid want me either way I'm a greedy cunt, and it's all good'

I don't care anymore, just like other people, I'm tired of 'Is he going, isn't he going, what will we do if he goes'.

I'm bemused that after 5 years at the club, 5 years leading towards title success he will leave when it looks like we can really push on. Why leave Liverpool? Why leave now?

Because he's a greedy cunt

I was certain he was going and i wasn't expecting him to join the squad in Switzerland, not that it means he isn't going. If we get £25 million or more then i think we have done very well from it. Step up Mr Spearing.

With the best will in the world, as much as I love the Mekon that is Jay Spearing, he's nowhere near ready for that - part-time in easier games, yeah - why not if we're doing well - but fulltime in tougher ones? Nope.

And £25m for Xabi is good money - if someone other than the obscenely profligate Real Madrid are buying - they're not - so it's a minimum £35m to dance or fuck off Valdano.

'Few players in the world can do what Alonso does' - so pay up then, cuntface or get off the pot.

Another angle is this.

'Liverpool want me, Madrid want me either way I'm a greedy cunt, and it's all good'

I don't care anymore, just like other people, I'm tired of 'Is he going, isn't he going, what will we do if he goes'.

I'm bemused that after 5 years at the club, 5 years leading towards title success he will leave when it looks like we can really push on. Why leave Liverpool? Why leave now?

Huge leap of the usual 'all footballers are greedy cunts' child's mentality, backed up with nothing other than tarring everyone with the lowest moral intentions.

'Liverpool want me, Madrid want me , and it's all good' is a more likely truism.

Another angle is this.

paulie_walnuts.jpg

HO!!! What the fuck???

Yup, that is it. UEM bang on the money.