You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help but feel extremely disappointed in Alonso if this is true.

I have to say after reading all the shite on this for over a year now, and even taking into account that he was up for sale last summer, I will still think a little less of him if he runs off to join the circus.

It seems clear to me that if he wanted to stay and play the way he played this season gone he could.

what you have fail to mention is that rafa knew we did not have a squad good enough to challange for the league .thats why he put all his effort into the cup competions.2 euro finals,1 fa cup,1 league cup.he has now built a squad that is good enough to challange for the league.

busby-1 fa cup in 6 years.piss poor,for such a massive club.

nicholson- won fuck all in 3 years

mee- won fuck all in 4 years

wilkinson-won fuck all in 3 years.

ferguson is not the exception to the norm,you just won't admit that rafa has been more succesful

in his first 5 years trophy wise than ferguson.and it is all about winning trophys.

why don't you go back to your mates at red cafe.salford terror

I want a Sporting Director, I think we would win the league with one who knew what he did. one who did put some faith in flair players to do what flair players are supposed to do, mainly attack.

If Rafa was bought these players, he had to work with them and make the best out of it, something I think he would as well, but as long as he is the one targeting players we will not see that very often will we.

The one flair player he actually has bought got us to the CL final, another one he inherited won it for us.

Code, its just a fin joke now, stop it. We scored the most goals in the prem last season yet you still wibble on about us being an unfulfilled attacking team. As a stats man, you can't argue with scoring the most goals in the prem. Its there in black and white, we are very good at attacking thanks.

Code, its just a fin joke now, stop it. We scored the most goals in the prem last season yet you still wibble on about us being an unfulfilled attacking team. As a stats man, you can't argue with scoring the most goals in the prem. Its there in black and white, we are very good at attacking thanks.

He won't stop it, he's the new Rashid (trademark GH).

I think Rafa has been overall poor in signing attacking players. I don't think we can start lauding Yossi yet, he isn't even a first team starter.

Bar Torres, there hasn't been any unquestionable success stories and this needs to improve both in spotting cheap talent and signing players world class stars. Maybe the issue is Macia? Who knows.

Your as bad at code on this too, most goals in the prem last season, catch on Rash, catch on.

Here is a list of the prem top scorers from last season;

1 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 19

2 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 18

3 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 16

4 Fernando Torres Liverpool 14

Robinho Manchester City 14

6 Kevin Davies Bolton Wanderers 12

Darren Bent Tottenham Hotspur 12

Frank Lampard Chelsea 12

Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 12

Wayne Rooney Manchester United 12

Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa 12

3 players in the top 11 with 42 goals between them, now shut the f up the pair of you.

He won't stop it, he's the new Rashid (trademark GH).

Well I've posted one to the pair of them. How anyone can say they view us impartially and state we aren't an attacking force is beyond me. We scored over 120 goals last season and while I don't think we got quite so many this year, we scored the most in the prem last year, 77, 9, yes 9 f in more than Untied, Chelsea and Arsenal, over 10% in code and Rash language.

So I can only deduce that Code and Rash or anyone else who subscribes to this theory arent looking at it impartially.

we scored the most goals with Gerrard and Torres only starting 13/14 games together and they were not fit in a lot of them, i think that shows we have a great attack.

I am surprised that people aren't saying we are so close let's push on instead of we came up short lets attack the manager.

If we finish above United we will win the league and they have just lost Tevez and Ronaldo and the latter is irreplaceable, i dont care who they get in now as no one will do what he did imo but they will still obviously be the team most likely to take the title. If Ribery, Aguero and Villa don't go to them i think we have to be confident of getting ahead of them.

This how many goals we scored is a big red herring though

Whats better

2-0, 1-0, 1-0- 2-1 or 5-0, 4-0, 2-0, 0-0

3 goals less but two points more

It's not when the question is about our inability to spot attacking players!

I think the Stoke matches are a red herring, ask yourself this, what is more likely to happen next year, We beat Stoke home and away or we beat United and Chelsea away?

It depends over the course of the season really to gauge anything from your handpicked sample. Scoring the most goals isn't the most important factor but it does show that we can't be in that much of a state if we did score the most goals! Just some fine tuning needed and we all know that.

This how many goals we scored is a big red herring though

Whats better

2-0, 1-0, 1-0- 2-1 or 5-0, 4-0, 2-0, 0-0

3 goals less but two points more

I agree, that overall its about balance, i always have and always will, "It's not about the long ball or the short ball but the right ball" (roughly) as Paisley used to say.

But in response to the continued wibbling of some, who suggest we arent an attacking team, we cant attack and that we need someone to come in and let the players show more flair etc etc etc etc its rubbish, please don't give me that bollocks, its rubbish and you know as well as i do it is.

3 of the top 11 scorers in the Premiership last season were Liverpool players, they scored 42 goals between the three of them inspite of Torres only starting 20 games, Gerrard 30. Had they been fully fit throughout the season there would have been even more goals.

last seasons we had ;

Gerrard 16 goals 8 assists

Torres 14 goals 3 assists

Kuyt 12 goals 8 assists

All three players are either signed by Rafa, or playing in a new position identified by Rafa give it up !

I agree, that overall its about balance, i always have and always will, "It's not about the long ball or the short ball but the right ball" (roughly) as Paisley used to say.

But in response to the continued wibbling of some, who suggest we arent an attacking team, we cant attack and that we need someone to come in and let the players show more flair etc etc etc etc its rubbish, please don't give me that bollocks, its rubbish and you know as well as i do it is.

3 of the top 11 scorers in the Premiership last season were Liverpool players, they scored 42 goals between the three of them inspite of Torres only starting 20 games, Gerrard 30. Had they been fully fit throughout the season there would have been even more goals.

last seasons we had ;

Kuyt 12 goals 8 assists

All three players are either signed by Rafa, or playing in a new position identified by Rafa give it up !

You're missing the point entirely. Gerrard, Torres and Kuyt don't count because they're pushing six feet in height and quite physical. Until Rafa finds "our midget in the hole" his attacking credentials will always be suspect.

Nobody said we couldn't play attacking football - we were superb the last 6 months - what's important though is that it is sustained throughout a season to some extent. I appreciate you can't play every game like that.

To do that you need consistently good attackers and in my view we don't have that bar 2 or 3 players... the reason as Torres said in an interview last night - we need better players out wide.. in his own words -

Torres: We are lacking impact players on the flanks, like Tevez and Ronaldo are for United. Players that make a difference in home games. In fact, Liverpool has lost league titles at home, against mid-table teams. We need people like Iniesta, Silva, Cazorla, Mata…We need quality and people who can wreak havoc on the flanks.

After 5 years its a clear issue that needs to be addressed.

At the start of the season i wouldn't have said we were an attacking team, in fact there was a period when i thought we were playing some pretty shit football. But i don't know what happened but ever since we played real madrid it was like all of a sudden our football changed. We really started going at teams with some serious venom and we started playing great football. Now i don't know about stats and to be honest i really dont care as i just go by what i see with my own eyes. But theres no way ANYONE can say from the madrid game onward that we weren't a great attacking team. Problem is we became so atacking we started leaking more goals. But if we continue to play how we finished the season then i'm confident of us beating anyone. We may not have started the season as a attacking team but we sure as hell finished as one. I think benayoun deserves a lot of respect for the 2nd half of the season because at one point he was the only person that looked like he was going to make anything happen. He started playing some great football and was very creative.

last seasons we had ;

Kuyt 12 goals 8 assists

If we had bought the right players last summer is Silva instead of Keane and Riera we would probably be champions last seasons.

I am a great believer in looking forward not backwards but obviously feel compelled to point out certain things that miss the point entirely. We didnt win the title last season not because we couldnt attack but because we strugled to break down good defenisve teams, even Fulham away in our good run was pretty close to been drawn. We need a player like Silva who can creat that bit of magic that can win us those games when teams park the bus. Also Benayoun was a big factor in our run at the end of the season but as yet hasnt proved he can do it over a whole season.

As I said there have been mistakes made and nows the time to look forward not backwards.

Nobody said we couldn't play attacking football - we were superb the last 6 months - what's important though is that it is sustained throughout a season to some extent. I appreciate you can't play every game like that.

To do that you need consistently good attackers and in my view we don't have that bar 2 or 3 players... the reason as Torres said in an interview last night - we need better players out wide.. in his own words -

hark, whats that noise, aha, its the goal posts being moved ......

So you didnt start a thread on it only a few months back proclaiming it ? Inspite of the record goals the season before too ? If you dont thinkit, dont say it or repeat it, again, or again, or repeat it, again, again .........

So you didnt start a thread on it only a few months back proclaiming it ? Inspite of the record goals the season before too ?

hark, whats that noise, aha, its the goal posts being moved ......

Why have you missed out what Torres said?

After 5 years in charge, for another (very polite) player to state we need better players in the wide positions is damning.

The fact that we are still lacking there is not on and proves the theory that Rafa generally has been poor at signing attacking players.

You forget he did also say more players like benayoun. Torres and gerrard have both said how great benayoun was last season.