You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google Translate

The signing of Alvaro Arbeloa for Real Madrid is heated. El defensa del Liverpool podría convertirse en los próximos días en nuevo jugador del club blanco si prosperan las negociaciones entre ambas entidades. Liverpool defender could become the next days a new player in the club's white thrive if the negotiations between the two entities.

El representante de Arbeloa, Manuel García Quilón, estuvo en las oficinas del Real Madrid y la operación se podría cerrar entre 3 y 4 millones de euros. The representative of Arbeloa, Manuel Garcia Quilon, was at the offices of Real Madrid and the transaction could be closed between 3 and 4 million.

De concretarse el traspaso, Arbeloa se convertiría en el cuarto fichaje de Florentino Pérez en su segunda etapa en la presidencia del Real Madrid tras los de Kaká, Cristiano Ronaldo y Albiol. Shape of the transfer, Arbeloa became the fourth signing of Florentino Perez in the second stage in the presidency of Real Madrid after the Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Albiol.

Google Translate

The signing of Alvaro Arbeloa for Real Madrid is heated. El defensa del Liverpool podría convertirse en los próximos días en nuevo jugador del club blanco si prosperan las negociaciones entre ambas entidades. Liverpool defender could become the next days a new player in the club's white thrive if the negotiations between the two entities.

El representante de Arbeloa, Manuel García Quilón, estuvo en las oficinas del Real Madrid y la operación se podría cerrar entre 3 y 4 millones de euros. The representative of Arbeloa, Manuel Garcia Quilon, was at the offices of Real Madrid and the transaction could be closed between 3 and 4 million.

De concretarse el traspaso, Arbeloa se convertiría en el cuarto fichaje de Florentino Pérez en su segunda etapa en la presidencia del Real Madrid tras los de Kaká, Cristiano Ronaldo y Albiol. Shape of the transfer, Arbeloa became the fourth signing of Florentino Perez in the second stage in the presidency of Real Madrid after the Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Albiol.

hmmmmmm Google translate failed miserably here

Google Translate

El defensa del Liverpool podría convertirse en los próximos días en nuevo jugador del club blanco si prosperan las negociaciones entre ambas entidades.

El representante de Arbeloa, Manuel García Quilón, estuvo en las oficinas del Real Madrid y la operación se podría cerrar entre 3 y 4 millones de euros.

De concretarse el traspaso, Arbeloa se convertiría en el cuarto fichaje de Florentino Pérez en su segunda etapa en la presidencia del Real Madrid tras los de Kaká, Cristiano Ronaldo y Albiol.

The signing of Alvaro Arbeloa for Real Madrid is heated.

Liverpool defender could become the next days a new player in the club's white thrive if the negotiations between the two entities.

The representative of Arbeloa, Manuel Garcia Quilon, was at the offices of Real Madrid and the transaction could be closed between 3 and 4 million.

Shape of the transfer, Arbeloa became the fourth signing of Florentino Perez in the second stage in the presidency of Real Madrid after the Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Albiol.

It was a format fail.

I don't really need to add much more!

If you seriously cannot see any improvements in the team, in this team. I don't see why anybody should discuss anything with you!

I obviously cant, please try and explain where I`m wrong.

Pointwise we finished with 82 points that season and we won the FA Cup, Gerrard was our top scorer in the league with 10 goals, I think we would have finished with more points than we did this season with Torres in that team, so apart from this one player where are the overall improvement.

Guest TK-421

I`m not the one making out Rafa is the only manager who can deliever us the league either

Heh, no. Being responsible for winning the league is solely the preserve of Xabi Alonso, if I remember correctly, and if he leaves we'll be struggling to automatically qualify for the CL in your view.

Please feel free to try and ridicule me instead of debating the points raised and please feel free to point me in the direction of all these consistent positive signs of improvement as well.

I'm not here to ridicule you, just asking some questions is all.

86 points, regular progress to the latter stages of CL, winning CL, winning FA Cup. There are signs but you have to look for them.

I think we could have won the league this season with another manager, but thats for another thread, I`ll sit back and watch how we start our season and if we are back to our cautious approach I think that will be it for me when Rafa is concerned.

I don't think he's the only one capable, that would be silly. I do think he's the one most likely to end the title drought after all these years and I'll be surprised if he doesn't achieve it during the next term of his contract.

So, how many games does Rafa get next season before your patience runs out?

Aurelio better than Riise

Riera more consistent than Kewell or Zenden out left

Macherano better than Sissoko (could be debated by some i'm sure)

Gerrard miles better than Garcia

Arbeloa and Finnan - wash

Torres better than Morientes

what more proof do you need? The team we field match day 1 this season will be light years better than the team that began 05/06

Back to basics.

This is a ball.

41524.JPG

Heh, no. Being responsible for winning the league is solely the preserve of Xabi Alonso, if I remember correctly, and if he leaves we'll be struggling to automatically qualify for the CL in your view.

I think there are loads of managers out there who could have won the league with the sqaud we had last season and certainly with the squad we had at the end of the 07/08 season and the same money availible last summer.

We took 6 points from both our main rivals, thats superb, and should in most cases mean we should win the title, but we failed miserably against teams we should beat and from my point of view our managers cautious approach is the main reason we did not win it this year.

I think our first 11 was the best in the league as the mancs are pretty average overall but was lifted by a few key players, Chelsea also turned out to be a mess even if they were my favourites for the title.

When we had nothing to lose we changed things and went for it from the start, it remains to be seen how we start the end of next season, I have big worries we will be back being cautious from the off.

I'm not here to ridicule you, just asking some questions is all.

86 points, regular progress to the latter stages of CL, winning CL, winning FA Cup. There are signs but you have to look for them.

We got 82 points in Rafa`s second season in charge had we got 14 points from the other top 4 clubs we would probably have won the league that season, again evidence of small bits of improvement but overall stagnation or regress.

All the other English teams to pretty well in the CL as well, compared ot any of them Rafa`s record is nothing special and our domestic Cup journey`s have been nothing but a nightmare since our FA Cup win, not much to hang onto there either then.

I don't think he's the only one capable, that would be silly. I do think he's the one most likely to end the title drought after all these years and I'll be surprised if he doesn't achieve it during the next term of his contract.

So, how many games does Rafa get next season before your patience runs out?

I dont think so, we might win the league under Rafa, if we changed managers I would have even higher hopes probably.

I`ll look at how we approach the games more than anything, especially against the dross, against the other top 4 teams I dont ecpext anything really, what happens happens.

I`m not going to set a time limit on anything either, we`ll have to see.

This may sound a little silly but you really are making yourself sound a bigger arse than normal, I'd quit if I was you.

Frankly it's embarrassing.

I agree it was probably a bit over the top, but if someone posts a decent reply they will get a proper answer back.

It goes both ways.

Someone is bound to ask why some posts a few pages back have been edited by me. I did it at dave's request because some personal information was posted on here which shouldn't have been. It had nothing to do with Xabi or any other transfers.

Apologies to anyone whose post got edited.

Code claims to have been involved in football at all levels (playing/backroom/management/ownership I presume) for 30 years. I only know of one man in football who qualifies - Michael Knighton.

And he believes he was abducted by aliens.

I think there are loads of managers out there who could have won the league with the sqaud we had last season and certainly with the squad we had at the end of the 07/08 season and the same money availible last summer.

Name them.

"I think there are loads of managers out there who could have won the league with the sqaud we had last season and certainly with the squad we had at the end of the 07/08 season and the same money availible last summer."

That certainly wasn't the case in 2004 & in between we've spent way less than any other big 4 team.

Suggests that Rafa has been a transfer market genius to get us into this mythical position.....

You can't have it both ways.

"I think there are loads of managers out there who could have won the league with the sqaud we had last season and certainly with the squad we had at the end of the 07/08 season and the same money availible last summer."

That certainly wasn't the case in 2004 & in between we've spent way less than any other big 4 team.

Suggests that Rafa has been a transfer market genius to get us into this mythical position.....

You can't have it both ways.

As if this thread isn't bad enough, you just had to bring that up...

eye.scream.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I have never said any other team are improving consistently, thats what I`m discussing, what is his constant improvement people are talking about?

As far as I`m concerned I think the team of 2005/06 would have beaten the 2008/09 team if it had Torres in it.

Lets say I`m right, how is that such a great improvement?

Well in a league championship or in fact any type of competition, your improvements can only be measured relative to your competitors.

If you improve your team by 10% while others also improve by 10% means that in real terms your league position will remain constant. The only relevant stat in this case is the league table and the points total.

Irrespective of whatever conclusion you are trying to draw up with your selective stats, the ONLY relevant statistic shows that we were 2nd last year (compared to 4th the previous year) with one of the highest points total we have ever had.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Jack Charlton, Xabi A|lonso (player manager), Howard the Duck, The Artist Formally Known as Prince, Lex Luther, Chris Eubank, Bob Geldof, Ghandi, Winston Churchill, Howard Marks to name but a few.

You forgot Paul Jewell