You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

Gerrard and Torres are 2 world class players and therefore can play with anyone (pretty much)

however i would much rather we tried to get Villa and pair him with Torres and then have to decide where best to play Gerrard (behind them both imo) than to have to rely on Gerrard and Torres as our front 2 again next season

we need more quality in attack - hopedfully the signing of Silva will help (if we can pull it off) otherwise we still haven't addressed the key problem area that cost us dearly last season - which is v.worrying

Torres + Gerrard ALWAYS works, BRILLIANTLY.

Torres +Villa is HIT AND MISS, please leave it alone .. :whistle:

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Code

Does fergie get credit for winning the CL final against chelsea?

Also, i think your living in a very very very very unrealistic world.

Do you know how hard it is for Rafa to justify signings over 10m? Bar the last two years, he hasnt been permitted to make big signings as so.

I cannot be arsed going through the whole list of things Rafa had to sort out since hes been here.

There are alot of fans on here who do not appriciate the amount of things he has had to sort out. He has, in my opinion, held this club together over these last few years.

I'd love you to name another top manager who would have stayed after Klinsmann-gate (which was a crucial time for our club).

Mourinho? He left as soon as his owner didn't want to buy him the latest 20m superstar.

Scolari? Ancelotti? Neither would have come to us when we needed a manager, and in a years time, I think we will look back and point out how they both failed.

Curbishly? Ha.

Rafa was a saviour, he makes mistakes, alot of them, but he has done alot for this club and people do not appriciate it. (im not aiming this at you, im aiming it at the forum generally).

manicss01 - good post. Not only has Rafa been the "saviour" of the club during its most difficult time since the 1940's, he is also a manager "anointed" by the supporters when they turned out for him in their hundreds of thousands on the streets and on the net when his position was threatened. I'm sure many of those supporters would disagree with him from time to time about his selections, substitutions, tactics, transfers etc but when the chips were down they knew he was the real deal and the best manager for LFC. No other manager has been compared to Shankly as much as Rafa has been.

Code

Does fergie get credit for winning the CL final against chelsea?

Is this the same man most Liverpool fans think are shite in Europe?

Like I said earlier this discussion about Rafa came into it to put things in perspective, this is a great example.

While everybody was busy talking utter bollocks, it seems to have been missed this is in the Echo today:

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Xabi Alonso urges Liverpool FC and Real Madrid to sort out his future

XABI ALONSO has urged Liverpool and Real Madrid to sort out his future.

The 27-year-old midfielder has returned to Spain following the Confederations Cup in South Africa to hold talks with his agent.

Alonso now has three weeks off before he is due back at Melwood for pre-season training and says he wants the long-running transfer saga settled before then.

“I do not know what will happen,” Alonso said.

“It is up to the two clubs to negotiate now.”

Reports in Spain suggest Real are hoping to pay just £20million for Alonso but if Liverpool do reluctantly sell him it is believed they will demand a fee far closer to £30million.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez wants to keep Alonso but accepts there is little he can do if the player wants to leave.

Alonso has so far refused to come out and publicly make his intentions clear.

“It is always positive when various teams are said to want you because that is better than nobody being interested, but I cannot say much more,” Alonso said.

“I know that I have to keep playing well and will be able to decide what happens next whenever it arises.

“I do not think a move to Real Madrid is impossible, but I would also have no regrets at all staying at Liverpool.

“My relationship with Benitez is professional. I’ve already been in England five years and the truth is that I have adapted well.

“I’m happy there, though I do miss certain things from Spain. I cannot rule out a move or even staying in the Premier League.”

Meanwhile, Barcelona are still refusing to admit defeat in their battle to sign Javier Mascherano.

Benitez is adamant the Argentine midfielder is not for sale but Barcelona president Joan Laporta has publicly reiterated their interest in buying the 25-year-old.

Laporta is hoping Lionel Messi can persuade his compatriot to join him at the Nou Camp.

“Mascherano is a close friend of Messi,” Laporta said.

“We will see what happens. He’s a player I like very much.”

Benitez is desperate to hold on to Mascherano and recently revealed even a bid of £50m wouldn’t be enough to convince the Reds to do business.

The Argentinean is a massive fans’ favourite at Anfield and Benitez believes he is important to the Reds’ hopes of winning the title next season.

Is this the same man most Liverpool fans think are shite in Europe?

Like I said earlier this discussion about Rafa came into it to put things in perspective, this is a great example.

Mate i was honestly just trying to get your view on that.

I think fergie is shit in europe.

But your point is a silly one.

Was the 1984 European cup final a fluke mate? We should write that off right?

So then rain man, I assume in your 'analysis' that you've looked at the other teams as well to see whether the fluctuation in performances was unique to us or was the same for other teams?

You are absolutely correct. The problem with Code's stat analysis is that he is looking at us in isolation. Any improvement or regression is always relative to the other teams around us.

So the only way you could formulate any meaningful analysis from the stats is to compare our performances against the other teams in the same time period and see what the trends are. Otherwise any conclusions drawn are distorted at best and just plain wrong at worst.

Xabi's politician attitude is really getting on my nerves now, I suppose it wouldn't be good for him if he said he wanted to leave and ended up having to stay but I just want to hear some truth and facts from someone, ANYONE.

All this hear say from everyone if fucking annoying.

If alonso didn't care about money why not just come out and ask for a transfer like Dossena did? I'm hoping rafa doesn't do fuck all unless xabi asks to leave in writing. Don't see why he should get a loyalty bonus if he is choosing to want to go to madrid.

While everybody was busy talking utter bollocks, it seems to have been missed this is in the Echo today:

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Xabi Alonso urges Liverpool FC and Real Madrid to sort out his future

Nobody missed it. It's mainly a compilation of what has been in the press for 36-48 hours. The only new bit is where he is quoted as saying its up to the clubs to negotiate. If he said that it would indicate that he is maintaining his line of encouraging Real Madrid while refusing to lodge a transfer request.

The fact is its not up to the clubs to negotiate if LFC doesn't want to negotiate.

he certainly has left a lot to be desired in those quotes. I understand the situation requires him not to tip his hand, but the way he has gone about it just leaves me feeling worse about the situation.

If he doesn't want to be here, then he can go. Regardless of why he's leaving or what he would do to the team. I want players who want to be here.

Those quotes in the Echo are from the interviews he did after the Confed Cup 3rd place game. He's obviously not going to nail his colours to the mast as he might know the club would accept a bid for him if the price was right. Though he does seem to be talking a bit too much, maybe on the orders of his agent and Madrid. Tossers.

If that is the case I just hope Rafa has already got someone in mind and it's all done quickly.

You are absolutely correct. The problem with Code's stat analysis is that he is looking at us in isolation. Any improvement or regression is always relative to the other teams around us.

So the only way you could formulate any meaningful analysis from the stats is to compare our performances against the other teams in the same time period and see what the trends are. Otherwise any conclusions drawn are distorted at best and just plain wrong at worst.

I have never said any other team are improving consistently, thats what I`m discussing, what is his constant improvement people are talking about?

As far as I`m concerned I think the team of 2005/06 would have beaten the 2008/09 team if it had Torres in it.

Lets say I`m right, how is that such a great improvement?

I have never said any other team are improving consistently, thats what I`m discussing, what is his constant improvement people are talking about?

As far as I`m concerned I think the team of 2005/06 would have beaten the 2008/09 team if it had Torres in it.

I don't really need to add much more!

If you seriously cannot see any improvements in the team, in this team. I don't see why anybody should discuss anything with you!

You complained that when we improve in one area we regress in another with absolutely no interest in whether that was a trend in all teams because it didn't suit your argument.

No, let's not just say your right, if you add Torres then it isn't the team of 2005/06 is it.

Aurelio better than Riise

Riera more consistent than Kewell or Zenden out left

Macherano better than Sissoko (could be debated by some i'm sure)

Gerrard miles better than Garcia

Arbeloa and Finnan - wash

Torres better than Morientes

what more proof do you need? The team we field match day 1 this season will be light years better than the team that began 05/06