You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

If (if!) that's the case, then I think it's a weakness. If (if!) it's the reason Alonso wants to leave then I also think it's detrimental to the club because it weakens the team.

Should an ethos be compromised for one player though when no one knows if replacing him may improve the team?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Alonso is a real pro and I would hate to see people question his professionalism if he left.

I would find it hard to stay if my boss tried to sell me after i'd had a great season.

If that was true of course.

If that was true then I would agree that Rafa has dug himself in a hole with the fans.

However he is not trying to sell him this year.

A big club has come knocking and Rafa has slapt a price tag on him. He is not trying to sell him.

Should an ethos be compromised for one player though when no one knows if replacing him may improve the team?

I don't know.

If we lose Alonso because of his relationship with Rafa, and suffer because of it, then I think a lot of people may have a different view of it.

If we strengthen, or even maintain our form of the last few months of the season just gone, then great.

Personally I think it's more likely that we'll be weakened for it, but only time will tell.

For what its worth I am repping that.

People are calling for the managers head because we are to 5 years and no title.

Point is Rafa has just started making the changes that he originally wanted to change.

The fruits of his labours will come to us soon.

Despite of our financial worries, its a great time to be a Liverpool fan, and for all intents and purposes we owe that much to Rafa.

I am repping that

I think Alonso is a real pro and I would hate to see people question his professionalism if he left.

I would find it hard to stay if my boss tried to sell me after i'd had a great season.

If that was true of course.

Every single person on this thread would move jobs or at least negotiate if a comparable, well-regarded competitor (which RM are) offered to give them a 50% rise & if thy didn't they should be in a mental institution.

Many people on this forum manage perfectly well in their jobs without liking their boss as long as they have a "professional relaionship" with him.

50% pay rise vs. some pseduo-emotional rumour heard from a friend of a friend

Why do people fail to acknowledge a perfectly rational action which they would all do in their lifes?

If that was true then I would agree that Rafa has dug himself in a hole with the fans.

However he is not trying to sell him this year.

A big club has come knocking and Rafa has slapt a price tag on him. He is not trying to sell him.

I'm sorry, but you can't be sure about that. I can't be sure that he's definitely trying to sell him either, and won't try to force that view on you.

If I can't be certain that he did try to sell him this summer, then you can't be certain that he didn't, it's just a case of us seeing things differently.

However, if we do not start the season with the same attiude as Madrid onwards i will be annoyed as if it takes Rafa half a season to get the team going then i will say that is a big problem.

He must learn from his mistakes. Set pieces need sorting and we must not take "small" teams for granted. Rotate in the cups and go for the title.

Every single person on this thread would move jobs or at least negotiate if a comparable, well-regarded competitor (which RM are) offered to give them a 50% rise & if thy didn't they should be in a mental institution.

Many people on this forum manage perfectly well in their jobs without liking their boss as long as they have a "professional relaionship" with him.

Why do people fail to acknowledge a perfectly rational action which they would all do in their lifes?

Why did Torres sign for us then? He could have got more money by going elsewhere?

i wouldn't take a 50% pay rise to move to London for example as when you move jobs you always have the risk of being first in first out, status and security are also very , very important factors plus you have to move house, kids change schools etc etc. It is not that easy for us normal people!

I see why you say xabi wants to go but i dont think he is in the same position as normal people. He can go home for serious money that is very different to what most people would have in a work situation.

Rafa does not want to sell, is not looking to sell Alonso and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Alonso will not leave because of this apparent rift with the manager,i find it more logical to believe that at some point Alonso would return to his homeland and this could be the perfect opportunity for him to do so.

I'm sorry, but you can't be sure about that. I can't be sure that he's definitely trying to sell him either, and won't try to force that view on you.

If I can't be certain that he did try to sell him this summer, then you can't be certain that he didn't, it's just a case of us seeing things differently.

Fair play, I can admit to that.

I would like to think that action speak louder than words though and if the following article is to be beleived then Rafa is making some effort to keep Alonso at the club:

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Alonso refuses to rule out Real

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso insists he would have 'no regrets' about staying at Anfield, but has refused to rule out a big-money move to Real Madrid.

The Spain international, who scored the winning goal for his country in Sunday's Confederations Cup third-placed play-off win over hosts South Africa, has been strongly linked with a £25million switch to the Bernabeu over the past 12 months.

Alonso looked set to be sold last summer in order to make room for Gareth Barry, then of Aston Villa, before the deal collapsed and the 27-year-old is understood to have been offended by manager Rafa Benitez's apparent desire to cash in.

Benitez maintains that he does not want to part company with the influential former Real Sociedad player, but Real are understood to remain keen to team Alonso with the likes of Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo as they form a new era of 'galacticos'.

And Alonso is refusing to dismiss any outcome on his future, telling Don Balon: "In respect to all this I have not closed any door and we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Positive

"It is always positive when various teams are said to want you because that is better than nobody being interested, but I cannot say much more.

"I know that I have to keep playing well and will be able to decide what happens next whenever it arises.

"I do not think a move to Real Madrid is impossible, but I would also have no regrets at all staying at Liverpool."

Reports on Merseyside claim that Benitez is to hold clear-the-air talks with Alonso this week as the pair attempt to settle their rumoured bust-up.

No problem

The 61-time Spain cap insists he has no problem working with his current boss, who brought him to England in 2004, but has not expanded upon their association.

"My relationship with Benitez is professional, just like he has with any other player. I believe that is how things will stay too," Alonso continued.

"I am happy in England and have adapted, but I do miss certain things from Spain. I cannot rule out a move or even staying in the Premier League.

"I am happy there (England) and although I was a bit home sick at the start, I am still there.

"This situation is normal for me because I know what is actually happening, away from what is being reported. For that reason I am perfectly calm."

Rafa does not want to sell, is not looking to sell Alonso and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Alonso will not leave because of this apparent rift with the manager,i find it more logical to believe that at some point Alonso would return to his homeland and this could be the perfect opportunity for him to do so.

You can't be sure of that.

In the recent past Torres has said that Rafa is a first-class manager who all the players trust, Masch has said the same adding that Rafa's signing a new contract has made everyone at the club feel better. Steve Gerrard has said he is his best manager ever and everyone trusts him, Dirk has said something similar as has Carragher, Dossena, Agger, Arbeloa, Hyppia, Lucas, Darby and others. Even Pennant and Crouchie have praised him. Alonso says he has the same pofessional relationship with him as he has with the other players.

How is it that this forum has managed to continue to propagate a view entirely at odds with the statements of the players and with the fans who marched in Rafa's defence and the 60,000 who signed a petition that the owners better not sack him?

Well, it seems Rashid relies on the statements of a few on here who "know people" - even though he does not know them himself. Bascombe is prepared to publish to a 4 million Sunday readership that Alonso is so unhappy with Rafa he will put in a transfer request in a few days (never happened). ATK knows someone who knows someone and as a result hates Rafa and assumes that Alonso does, too, and Brownie knows a Middlesborough supporter who knows a Middlesbrough player who wants to come to LFC who says that it is common knowledge among the players etc etc.

The only reason I got involved in this debate in here is because there was clearly an attempt to denigrate Rafa using Alonso as an excuse. It was so relentless that the tabloid press were using this site as a source of the assumption that Rafa and Alonso did not like each other.

I'm glad that the issues have been fully aired and the anti-Rafa brigade have been shown up for what they are.

Fair play, I can admit to that.

I would like to think that action speak louder than words though and if the following article is to be beleived then Rafa is making some effort to keep Alonso at the club:

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Alonso refuses to rule out Real

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso insists he would have 'no regrets' about staying at Anfield, but has refused to rule out a big-money move to Real Madrid.

The Spain international, who scored the winning goal for his country in Sunday's Confederations Cup third-placed play-off win over hosts South Africa, has been strongly linked with a £25million switch to the Bernabeu over the past 12 months.

Alonso looked set to be sold last summer in order to make room for Gareth Barry, then of Aston Villa, before the deal collapsed and the 27-year-old is understood to have been offended by manager Rafa Benitez's apparent desire to cash in.

Benitez maintains that he does not want to part company with the influential former Real Sociedad player, but Real are understood to remain keen to team Alonso with the likes of Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo as they form a new era of 'galacticos'.

And Alonso is refusing to dismiss any outcome on his future, telling Don Balon: "In respect to all this I have not closed any door and we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Positive

"It is always positive when various teams are said to want you because that is better than nobody being interested, but I cannot say much more.

"I know that I have to keep playing well and will be able to decide what happens next whenever it arises.

"I do not think a move to Real Madrid is impossible, but I would also have no regrets at all staying at Liverpool."

Reports on Merseyside claim that Benitez is to hold clear-the-air talks with Alonso this week as the pair attempt to settle their rumoured bust-up.

No problem

The 61-time Spain cap insists he has no problem working with his current boss, who brought him to England in 2004, but has not expanded upon their association.

"My relationship with Benitez is professional, just like he has with any other player. I believe that is how things will stay too," Alonso continued.

"I am happy in England and have adapted, but I do miss certain things from Spain. I cannot rule out a move or even staying in the Premier League.

"I am happy there (England) and although I was a bit home sick at the start, I am still there.

"This situation is normal for me because I know what is actually happening, away from what is being reported. For that reason I am perfectly calm."

I've been saying for the last few weeks that I hope they can meet and resolve any issues they have.

I've also said that I think there's a chance that Alonso will stay.

Hopefully both of those things will come true.

I don't know.

If we lose Alonso because of his relationship with Rafa, and suffer because of it, then I think a lot of people may have a different view of it.

If we strengthen, or even maintain our form of the last few months of the season just gone, then great.

Personally I think it's more likely that we'll be weakened for it, but only time will tell.

The bloody mindedness does amaze me as a football manager has so much to deal with, their grasp of politics really impresses me, some of them at least!

I would definitely keep xabi but if he does want to go i would put a ridiculous sum on his head and make him stay as we know he will deliver but it could mean we get less next time we try and sell as Madrid seem to be the only ones interested with silly money.

Maybe Rafa sees this as his only realistic chance to get the likes of Aguero and Villa?

Maybe we should offer Xabi and Masch a huge contract and then the position may be clearer.

Why did Torres sign for us then? He could have got more money by going elsewhere?

Certainly not by 50%.

Money isn't everything but 50% jumps to go to another excellent institution (RM are not Man Citeh) clearly are a very big issue.

& Torres is further evidence of the importance of the tax/FX issue.

We have just given him a significant rise for no apparent reason at all- His actual production was significantly down last season compared to the 1st when we didn't offer him a raise.

Clearly his agent mentioned the issue to Lfc & we responded very quickly as he is so valuable to us.

Torres will get it, Alonso is asking, Arbeloa won't & Pepe got his agent to put a story in the press about Barca wanting him.

At the beginning of the next season you could do a similar story at Arse & the Mancs

It is happening in all hi-paid industries & football is no different

I've been saying for the last few weeks that I hope they can meet and resolve any issues they have.

I've also said that I think there's a chance that Alonso will stay.

Hopefully both of those things will come true.

Rafa is too damn smart to let one of his star midfielders go. The only way I can see Alonso going (without him putting in a transfer request) is for Madrid to come over the top of the 25mil price tag with a bid of 35million.

Surely you cant see Rafa turning that down right?

Rafa is too damn smart to let one of his star midfielders go. The only way I can see Alonso going (without him putting in a transfer request) is for Madrid to come over the top of the 25mil price tag with a bid of 35million.

That doesn't make much sense to me.

He was smart enough to want to let him go last summer though (I think we're all agreed on that?)

Certainly not by 50%.

Money isn't everything but 50% jumps to go to another excellent institution (RM are not Man Citeh) clearly are a very big issue.

& Torres is further evidence of the importance of the tax/FX issue.

We have just given him a significant rise for no apparent reason at all- His actual production was significantly down last season compared to the 1st when we didn't offer him a raise.

Clearly his agent mentioned the issue to Lfc & we responded very quickly as he is so valuable to us.

Torres will get it, Alonso is asking, Arbeloa won't & Pepe got his agent to put a story in the press about Barca wanting him.

At the beginning of the next season you could do a similar story at Arse & the Mancs

It is happening in all hi-paid industries & football is no different

How do you know how much money he's been offered?

I could cope with that if the likes of aguero and villa come in with that money and a top up and then someone like silva is bought. If we buy 3 or 4 ten million players i think many fans will be a bit miffed and i will understand criticism if we are behind by xmas say.