You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

Xabi is quality, will take a hell of a player to replace him but if he wants to go there's nothing we can do about it... I've a hunch we'll survive

When did we all turn into a bunch of chelsea fans who know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

The idea anyone can be so calm about losing a player of the ridiculous class (in every sense of the word) as Xabi is beyond me.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bascially I decided to give the same reply as "Top of the Kop", except I wont add the "no didn't think so" and will instead ask you to back that up.

Avergae players who get long term injuries become world class players while they're out. It is also the case that excellant players (such as Xabi) become totally irreplacable when they may be sold. Neither are true.

If Xabi goes, then we will move on. We may struggle to replace him like for like, but we may end up with a better holding player or a player with more quickness of movement who helps our quick passing game.

However, I hope Xabi stays.

No one is suggesting Liverpool will cease to be if he leaves, but as the mancs are learning, you don't just replace players of that class at a whim.

Again just proving how undervalued he is.

For a kick off NO ONE finds every long pass, Xabi finds more than most.

Players have to risk losing possession to gain yards one way or another. FACT.

Alonso's positioning, stamina, passing range and decisions as well as short passing and ability to create space in tight areas effortlessly are unsurpassed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, part of me (a very small part) hopes he does go because of people like yourself who have NO IDEA what they have and will only appreciate it when it is gone!

Alonso is the least important man who starts more of our play, makes more tackles and covers more ground than any player we have.....

You want to know what Mascherano is without Alonso's brain and positional play behind him? Take a look at his West Ham days behind Mullins and get the real picture.

XABI ALONSO MUST BE KEPT AT ALL COSTS.

Saying i have no idea is a laugh mate.

I rate Alonso highly but i would much more gutted if players like Torres or Gerrard were leaving as they are the heartbeat of Liverpool not Alonso.

If midfield is paramount to success then why has the current Premier League champions got a midfield containing Scholes, Anderson, Carrick and Fletcher in it then.

Using the cash from a sale of Alonso and signing another top midfield player whilst also having the money to sign a player such as Silva will make us stronger.

what do you want me to do about it? cry into my keyboard?

If you like. Within the context of a debate though where you are showing your true feelings about a situation you might want to show a bit more loyalty to a fantastic servant who showed more loyalty to us than you would EVER expect to see in this day and age.

Xabi Alonso has the heart, the class, the integrity and the ability to play for this club, the idea we were going to replace him with Barry sickened me which is why I don't trust Rafa to replace him this time either!

Sometimes last season when Alonso was not playing the team lacked fluidity and organisation causing people to say he was irreplaceable. Obviously Alonso's linking and organising abilities were missed at the time. But this is not because he has unique abilities but because he was made an essential part of the set-up by Rafa who played him as often as he could. If Alonso were not around another player or players would become an integral part of the team and perform the same role.

While some of his long-range passing was nice to see, it was not all that effective in providing assists. His long-range shooting was often a waste of an opportunity because more often than not the trajectory was over the bar, or around the posts and when it was on target it was comfortably within the goalies control.

One of the reasons he was a "calming" influence on the mid-field is because he was slow and therefore predictable. I could well imagine a different player providing some more creativity and speed.

whoa there fella, where's the lack of loyalty? if he stays I'll be over the moon but these rumours have been abound for so long most people have come to terms with the fact that he'll be off, im still gutted about it but, as I say, its out of our control, no sense arguing on the web about it

it seems Xabi wants to go this time, I'll wish him well, he's a fantastic player and has been a fantastic servant

Without Xabi Alonso, there is no Liverpool. He is the night and day, sun and rain. The beginning and the end.

I love how this place never gets polarized.

The jokers telling us that we can't cope without him REALLY gets on my tits, even though I love Xabi. We know he's fucking good, but good players have left the club before. Keegan left and we coped, Rush left and we coped, and however good Xabi is, those players had done more for the club than him.

Saying i have no idea is a laugh mate.

I rate Alonso highly but i would much more gutted if players like Torres or Gerrard were leaving as they are the heartbeat of Liverpool not Alonso.

If midfield is paramount to success then why has the current Premier League champions got a midfield containing Scholes, Anderson, Carrick and Fletcher in it then.

Using the cash from a sale of Alonso and signing another top midfield player whilst also having the money to sign a player such as Silva will make us stronger.

Yeah let's just forget United have Park (who was superb this season), Fletcher (who was even better despite the same idiots not realising how much he has improved) and who was that portugeuse lad... hmmmm Ron something? Giggs did nothing either...

What top midfield player is worthy to lace Alonso's boots that we can sign?

Silva could be signed WITHOUT selling Alonso given that Rafa said without selling anyone we have money for one more player and we could sell Arbeloa and Dossena to raise cash on top of that so that isn't a problem.

Stop playing fantasy manager and realise that we should be KEEPING these players at all cost and ADDING to the squad not re arranging it so we have to start all over again! Benitez tried that with Keane, how did it go?

Keep everyone!

whoa there fella, where's the lack of loyalty? if he stays I'll be over the moon but these rumours have been abound for so long most people have come to terms with the fact that he'll be off, im still gutted about it but, as I say, its out of our control, no sense arguing on the web about it

it seems Xabi wants to go this time, I'll wish him well, he's a fantastic player and has been a fantastic servant

If he wants to go after the way we've treated him I wouldn't blame him in the slightest but knowing Xabi he won't hold us to ransom meaning we will get a good deal for him.

What gets on my tits is these idiots sayin "if Xabi needs to go to sign Silva" ... If Xabi is going it should only be because he wants to, and the only reason for that was the way Rafa treated him to get to Barry who fucked us over anyway.

Karma?

Xabi Alonso showed more class than the manager of Liverpool Football Club in his dealing despite being insulted left right and centre. That worries me. It is one thing being ruthless with players who do nothing and haven't worked out but the man who was your first major signing who is as good as anyone in the world in his position? That just shows lack of judgement and loyalty for me.

Why do people assume that when Rafa said we had the money to sign one player without making any sales he was talking about his No.1 priority? I don't for a second think we have the £25m Silva will cost without making sales, he could of been talking about Distin for Christs sake therefore saying we've still got a couple of million in the kitty rather than £25m....

Why do people assume that when Rafa said we had the money to sign one player without making any sales he was talking about his No.1 priority? I don't for a second think we have the £25m Silva will cost without making sales, he could of been talking about Distin for Christs sake therefore saying we've still got a couple of million in the kitty rather than £25m....

Well at the same time he was saying we could outspend United, so if you think pre Ronaldo that United were going to spend less than 20m......

I think most people hear you Hyypia 4 and I doubt they would argue with your actual point, its just that you're covering old, old ground, as I say, we've mostly (unfortunately had to) come to terms with it a while back and see no sense wallowing in it now

I think most people hear you Hyypia 4 and I doubt they would argue with your actual point, its just that you're covering old, old ground, as I say, we've mostly (unfortunately had to) come to terms with it

Until I see an offer accepted I'm having none of it.

As for people who think Sneijder could do what Alonso does or that Mascherano could hold on his own...... ahahahaha

People seriously seem to have no idea what Alonso does and live in this fairytale world where Mascherano can play without a holding midfielder with him. Luckily Rafa doesn't hence why Alonso or Lucas always play when he does... but then what good are facts like that?

if he goes he goes, he is a very good player but wont rank as one of our best ever and certainly doesn't have legendary status or anything like that. He had 2 Majestic seasons, one very good season and 2 good but disjointed seasons.

He is highly rated by the fans as he is a great pro but we seem to overvalue him in terms of the fee we should get when usually we undervalue our players.

If the Madrid circus wasn't around i doubt we would fetch much more than 16-18 million for him.

Good luck to him but if we buy some decent attackers we will win the league with him or without him imo.

He's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Sha'mon. HeeHee.

if he goes he goes, he is a very good player but wont rank as one of our best ever and certainly doesn't have legendary status or anything like that. He had 2 Majestic seasons, one very good season and 2 good but disjointed seasons.

He is highly rated by the fans as he is a great pro but we seem to overvalue him in terms of the fee we should get when usually we undervalue our players.

If the Madrid circus wasn't around i doubt we would fetch much more than 16-18 million for him.

Good luck to him but if we buy some decent attackers we will win the league with him or without him imo.

Point in case.

Price over value.

I couldn't give a shit what he is worth to the market, it is what he is worth to us.

Real want to pay stupid money for everyone else then why should we be sensible?

Only worth 16-18... oh is that all.

He is priceless as we won't be able to replace him.

The only people who "overrate" him are the people who know what he does.

Do you think to ask why Real who have shown no propensity other than to sign the best in europe in midfield and attack are after XABI ALONSO?

We have no need to sell Xabi, they want to buy him. It is that simple so WE decide the fee, not them.

I think most people hear you Hyypia 4 and I doubt they would argue with your actual point, its just that you're covering old, old ground, as I say, we've mostly (unfortunately had to) come to terms with it a while back and see no sense wallowing in it now

I disagree. While I appreciate Hyppia's 4 footballing analysis I think his characterisation of Alonso as a long suffering saint and Rafa as a Machivallian sadist is poppycock of the highest order.

Alonso was a slightly better than average player when Rafa bought him. Rafa has developed him, given him a central role in the team, given him a very generous extension to his original contract and provided him with as much support as any footballer could reasonably expect.

Alonso has responded professionally in footballing terms. But at the same time he has tried to second-guess his boss within the club, and directly or through his agent has used the tabloid press to encourage mischievous speculation about his relationship with the club either (a) to create pressure to secure more money or (b) to get a transfer.

Rafa will ignore all this and do what's best for the club.

Thats great if Alonso found his man with every long pass he tries but he does not.

Whilst he gets a round of applause from the fans for trying the effort at the end of the day its still surrending possesion so a 20yrd pass which finds the team mate is the better pass.

Alonso is a top player and can play the short passes to great effect infact i would say i prefer when he does this because normally he ups the tempo but same as any player he is replacable.

Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard and Torres for me are our spine but out of the six for me Alonso is the least important.

i can respect that you think he's 6th important, we all have our lists. and the club would go on without any of the 6 above its just a statement of fact.

but there are many ways to unlock a defense. saying alonso gives the ball away sometimes on long balls is like saying gerrard does the same when he hits a through ball. you have to take risks to open a team up.

i'm of the opinion that there are 3 things that open a team up, especially one that parks the bus.

outstanding individual play(bit of magic). which we have in short supply unfortunately

speed of play--the ability to move the ball swiftly creates that extra bit of time and space that over a series of passes can completely unbalance a defense so that you can find penetration

combination play- the most difficult to complete because of its intricacy but the most effective as well

i just think we lack the people on the end of his passes to use it to its full effect. and that ignores what i think is xabi's greatest strength, which is a 30-40 yard ball on the deck that splits a couple of defenders. he finds gaps in a defense better than most i've ever watched over that distance.

opinions and such, nature of the beast to disagree