Sign in to follow this  
Paulie Dangerously

Edinburgh

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Having your wee girl could cause issues in terms of watching the game & I'm not sure you'll be able to watch the game & eat anywhere regardless. Here are some suggestions...

For the game (all within 10mins walk from Princes St):-

The Ballie (Stockbridge)

The Antiquary (Stockbridge - a few doors down from The Ballie)

The Cask & Barrell (Broughton St)

I would call ahead about eating & getting children in.

For food:-

Lasal (Tapas - opposite The Playhouse)

Mother India (Indian tapas - just of South Bridge)

The Apiary (Newington)

If your daughter is fussy, there are a rake of chain restaurants in The Omni centre & the new St James Quarter.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but watching the game in town has become a bit of a pain due to good pubs shutting down or not being able to afford Sky. 

Let me know if you need anything else. Camera Obscura is great btw.

Last time I was in Edinburgh with just my missus we stayed somewhere pretty close to a new multiplex cinema in the city and the was a German beer hall style place we popped into (not bierkeller, felt more Independent). It was around the six nations time so they defo had live sport.

any idea where / what that might’ve been. Probably 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Last time I was in Edinburgh with just my missus we stayed somewhere pretty close to a new multiplex cinema in the city and the was a German beer hall style place we popped into (not bierkeller, felt more Independent). It was around the six nations time so they defo had live sport.

any idea where / what that might’ve been. Probably 3 years ago.

Aye, I think I know where you mean. It shut down & is now called Una Mas (Picardy Place) Not sure if they'll show sport tbh.

The Conan Doyle is near there too, that might be worth a shot.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Aye, I think I know where you mean. It shut down & is now called Una Mas (Picardy Place) Not sure if they'll show sport tbh.

The Conan Doyle is near there too, that might be worth a shot.

I found the place I was thinking of and seems to still be open, from the look of Facebook.

It’s in Leith, called Bier Hoose. Turns out my memory is shite, but I was on diazepam for a shoulder injury in my defence.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I found the place I was thinking of and seems to still be open, from the look of Facebook.

It’s in Leith, called Bier Hoose. Turns out my memory is shite, but I was on diazepam for a shoulder injury in my defence.

I'm allergic to Leith do don't know that place I'm afraid.

Hopefully you can get in there and watch the game. We were half planning an Edinburgh TSOP outing tomorrow but a few things have got in the way unfortunately otherwise we could've got you a pint in.

• Upvote 1

On 24/09/2021 at 08:48, mgw100 said:

The National Museum on Chambers St is brilliant for kids. Free entry and not far from Camera Obscura

Tye national museum was a good shout. Spent 90 mins in there this morning, before lunch in a cafe nearby. 

Harry Potter themed walking tour next on the list at 2

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Should have paid an extra tenner for the flying broomsticks one , saved your legs.

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Should have paid an extra tenner for the flying broomsticks one , saved your legs.

Went for the free tour. Pay what you feel like at the end, so way less than the paid up front ones. Was ok. My girl is buoyed it.

sat with a been now in the Black Bull in Grassmarket. Belting chicken burger inhaled, football on tv, beer in hand.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Tye national museum was a good shout. Spent 90 mins in there this morning, before lunch in a cafe nearby. 

Could you not just have gone to ATS? 

I’d walked for miles yesterday lads, and was finally sat in the boozer. Anything with a hint of subtlety was way beyond my abilities!!

just dropping in to say what a place Edinburgh is for a weekend with an inquisitive 9 year old, and what a place Camera Obscura is. The best museum I’ve ever been to without a hint of challenge.

Brilliant.

• Upvote 2