You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Edinburgh

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Having your wee girl could cause issues in terms of watching the game & I'm not sure you'll be able to watch the game & eat anywhere regardless. Here are some suggestions...

For the game (all within 10mins walk from Princes St):-

The Ballie (Stockbridge)

The Antiquary (Stockbridge - a few doors down from The Ballie)

The Cask & Barrell (Broughton St)

I would call ahead about eating & getting children in.

For food:-

Lasal (Tapas - opposite The Playhouse)

Mother India (Indian tapas - just of South Bridge)

The Apiary (Newington)

If your daughter is fussy, there are a rake of chain restaurants in The Omni centre & the new St James Quarter.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but watching the game in town has become a bit of a pain due to good pubs shutting down or not being able to afford Sky. 

Let me know if you need anything else. Camera Obscura is great btw.

Last time I was in Edinburgh with just my missus we stayed somewhere pretty close to a new multiplex cinema in the city and the was a German beer hall style place we popped into (not bierkeller, felt more Independent). It was around the six nations time so they defo had live sport.

any idea where / what that might’ve been. Probably 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Last time I was in Edinburgh with just my missus we stayed somewhere pretty close to a new multiplex cinema in the city and the was a German beer hall style place we popped into (not bierkeller, felt more Independent). It was around the six nations time so they defo had live sport.

any idea where / what that might’ve been. Probably 3 years ago.

Aye, I think I know where you mean. It shut down & is now called Una Mas (Picardy Place) Not sure if they'll show sport tbh.

The Conan Doyle is near there too, that might be worth a shot.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Aye, I think I know where you mean. It shut down & is now called Una Mas (Picardy Place) Not sure if they'll show sport tbh.

The Conan Doyle is near there too, that might be worth a shot.

I found the place I was thinking of and seems to still be open, from the look of Facebook.

It’s in Leith, called Bier Hoose. Turns out my memory is shite, but I was on diazepam for a shoulder injury in my defence.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I found the place I was thinking of and seems to still be open, from the look of Facebook.

It’s in Leith, called Bier Hoose. Turns out my memory is shite, but I was on diazepam for a shoulder injury in my defence.

I'm allergic to Leith do don't know that place I'm afraid.

Hopefully you can get in there and watch the game. We were half planning an Edinburgh TSOP outing tomorrow but a few things have got in the way unfortunately otherwise we could've got you a pint in.

• Upvote 1

On 24/09/2021 at 08:48, mgw100 said:

The National Museum on Chambers St is brilliant for kids. Free entry and not far from Camera Obscura

Tye national museum was a good shout. Spent 90 mins in there this morning, before lunch in a cafe nearby. 

Harry Potter themed walking tour next on the list at 2

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Should have paid an extra tenner for the flying broomsticks one , saved your legs.

Went for the free tour. Pay what you feel like at the end, so way less than the paid up front ones. Was ok. My girl is buoyed it.

sat with a been now in the Black Bull in Grassmarket. Belting chicken burger inhaled, football on tv, beer in hand.

• Upvote 2

I’d walked for miles yesterday lads, and was finally sat in the boozer. Anything with a hint of subtlety was way beyond my abilities!!

just dropping in to say what a place Edinburgh is for a weekend with an inquisitive 9 year old, and what a place Camera Obscura is. The best museum I’ve ever been to without a hint of challenge.

Brilliant.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

I’m going next weekend and I’ve just checked the fixtures and it’s an international weekend which is a bit of a result really because I’m not sure how I’d explain to Mrs TheBitch that I was just meeting some mates off the internet to watch the footy. 

1 hour ago, TheBitch said:

I’m going next weekend and I’ve just checked the fixtures and it’s an international weekend which is a bit of a result really because I’m not sure how I’d explain to Mrs TheBitch that I was just meeting some mates off the internet to watch the footy. 

If I can arrange to meet men from the Internet to watch the footy I can’t see why she’d think it strange for you? Or am I missing something 

1 hour ago, Champ said:

If I can arrange to meet men from the Internet to watch the footy I can’t see why she’d think it strange for you? Or am I missing something 

You’re not the concern, Champ. 

20 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

You’re not the concern, Champ. 

I’m intrigued now…and you’re a tease. It would have been great for you to have joined  Edinburgh TSOP 

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’m intrigued now…and you’re a tease. It would have been great for you to have joined  Edinburgh TSOP 

I was just joking Champ, I’d have 100% have joined the Edinburgh faction of TSOP for an afternoon, Mrs TheBitch would have loved it. She’s more stupid than me. 

42 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

I was just joking Champ, I’d have 100% have joined the Edinburgh faction of TSOP for an afternoon, Mrs TheBitch would have loved it. She’s more stupid than me. 

You remember those 2 ‘boys’ you took out in Newcastle? One of them’s getting married next month and the other next May. Where did that time go?

2 hours ago, Champ said:

I suspect the majority of people who don't frequent online forums (& a fair few who do) think it's quite strange to meet people from these message boards in real life.

Anyway @TheBitch I'll see you in The Burke & Hare at tea time next Saturday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ said:

You remember those 2 ‘boys’ you took out in Newcastle? One of them’s getting married next month and the other next May. Where did that time go?

Hahahaha, they were little more than teenagers then. I have no idea where that time went. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I suspect the majority of people who don't frequent online forums (& a fair few who do) think it's quite strange to meet people from these message boards in real life.

Anyway @TheBitch I'll see you in The Burke & Hare at tea time next Saturday.

See you there hombre. Let me know if your number has changed.