You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Edinburgh

Going with my bird for a weekend in a few weeks, we have the Zoo and the Castle earmarked for some things to do, anyone got any good suggestions what else?

Also any decent pubs/bars to drink in and restaurants to eat in? We're located by the Zoo

The Zoo isn't that far from the centre of Edinburgh. It's pretty much a straight road from there to the Haymarket end of Princes St. You'll pass the Scottish centre of rugger buggery ( murrayfield ) on the way.

If you want posh/ trendy/ expensive boozers go to George St. Try 'Le Monde', 'the Dome' and 'Tiger Lily' for drinking or eating. This street's chocker with bars.

Princes St, Rose St and George St run parallel like the Adidas stripes and are close to each other. Rose St. again is heaving with pubs. Pubs as opposed to bars mind.

If you go to the castle, when you come out you're on the Royal Mile, which again leads to loads of pubs. Avoid Deacon Brodie's tavern ( full of yanks in tartan hats ) but head down to the Grassmarket area or Cowgate. Again, chocker with pubs. The 'Three Sisters' in the Cowgate's alright.

The Zoo isn't that far from the centre of Edinburgh. It's pretty much a straight road from there to the Haymarket end of Princes St. You'll pass the Scottish centre of rugger buggery ( murrayfield ) on the way.

If you want posh/ trendy/ expensive boozers go to George St. Try 'Le Monde', 'the Dome' and 'Tiger Lily' for drinking or eating. This street's chocker with bars.

Princes St, Rose St and George St run parallel like the Adidas stripes and are close to each other. Rose St. again is heaving with pubs. Pubs as opposed to bars mind.

If you go to the castle, when you come out you're on the Royal Mile, which again leads to loads of pubs. Avoid Deacon Brodie's tavern ( full of yanks in tartan hats ) but head down to the Grassmarket area or Cowgate. Again, chocker with pubs. The 'Three Sisters' in the Cowgate's alright.

Cheers mate, sounds like some good advice. Any nice but averagely priced restaurants in particular? I've looked on some sites regarding it but prefer peoples opinions

My neck of the woods.

As mentioned George Street is ace. I'd quarrel with your mans advice about the Grassmarket, fuck that. Restraunts - I'd go for either Great wall of China in Lothian Road or Cuba Norte, which also does Salsa dancing, if you're into that sort of thing. If you do end up going to George Street it's a bit more expensive but I always the Opal Lounge to be a very good night.

Get PROPER pished then go on one of those tacky 'ghost tours' (a night-time one, of course). Did that 3 years ago with her indoors and we had a well good laugh. Everyone else on the tour probably hated us though. So that's good.

Go to queensferry. Just outside the city. Right under the Forth road bridge.

Hillend dry slope ski center for the best views over the city and beyond.

If you want to go mad eating out go to Oloroso. Superb.

If not head to Leith docks. Loads of bistros wine bars etc. Nick Nairn has a place there. Very nice.

If you go to the Princess Gardens and a strange man in a green jacket, tight jeans, trainers from 1994 and hair that can only be described as inexplicable, approaches you and strokes your leg; don't be alarmed, that's just the beaverman. He won't hurt you if you don't hurt him.

• 3 weeks later...

Love Edinburgh. My uncle lives up there and it is one of my favourite places. What is the name of the night club which seems to be built in to rock, on about 5 levels, all styled in different ways. Little expensive but one of the best clubs I have ever been too. Also, the other place just off St Andrew's square, set back a little from the main road. I'm shit for names me.

Glad you had a good time.

I went to the whiskey experience thing and it was pretty good. Got a free (?) sample at the start and a huge menu to chose from at the end. The dodgy ride round the history of whiskey in the middle was a little dubious, but the alcohol consumption made up for it.

Where did you end up going? Did you see the Beaver man?

Didn't see the Beaver man but there was an extraordinary amount of beggars around, all of whome were very polite when I didn't give them money.

Touristy wise we did the Castle, Dungeons, Zoo and the Beach (I didn't even know it had one) ended up going the Cuba Norte you recommended on the Saturday night which was cool, good atmos but very hot when the Salsa kicked in. Have to say I found Tennants lager revolting it just didn't sit well with me and I was soon on the bottles.

Went to a small but nice restaurant called Popoli (sp) on Morrison Street by haymarket station. Found this on a website and it was fab, great food, cheap price and air conned.

Went on a bit of a crawl on Rose street to some of the pubs there and ended up down West Bow looking at all the weird Bo-Ho shops. All in all a good weekend

• 12 years later...