You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I had a Goliath spider once. Spread out it would have been the size of a dinner plate. Absolutely hostile bastard it was. Even more hostile was the somewhat smaller but even more aggressive Cobalt Blue bird eater. They were in the minority though, as most of the spiders I've owned have been extremely docile and didn't mind being handled at all. Fascinating pets, far more interesting than goldfish, rabbits, hamsters and all that other boring shite.

You death defying cunt. I hate them. I was even scared to open this thread incase I had to throw my phone against a wall. A brick one. Prick

• 3 years later...
On 04/03/2018 at 22:42, scudger99 said:

I had a Goliath spider once.  Spread out it would have been the size of a dinner plate.  Absolutely hostile bastard it was.  Even more hostile was the somewhat smaller but even more aggressive Cobalt Blue bird eater.  They were in the minority though, as most of the spiders I've owned have been extremely docile and didn't mind being handled at all.  Fascinating pets, far more interesting than goldfish, rabbits, hamsters and all that other boring shite.

I'll stick to my dogs thanks, you absolute lunatic. There is not one logical reason that anyone could ever come up with for having a hostile, dinner plate sized spider as a "pet". The only reason i can possibly think of is that people who own these type of creatures are homicidal maniacs.

My mate used to have a snake and he fed it dead mice that he bought in in bulk, frozen and then defrosted them to give to the snake. What does a human get out of that scenario?  My dogs like to cuddle in on the sofa, chase a ball occasionally and go on long walks with me. There is a give and receive affection element to it that is mutually rewarding to both parties. What do you get from keeping a giant hostile arachnid? A life of fear and probably a constantly dug up garden because under the patio is the only place you can store all of the people you've murdered.      

• Upvote 5

I've been bitten twice in the last year. Once before xmas when we had a pipe burst and I had to reach down the manhole to turn the outside stopcock off. Felt the web but the house was filling up and she was flapping so I just got on with it. Next day two bites right next to each other. Then must have been one night over this weekend I've had an itch under my ear lobe... she's looked and its a bite exactly the same as two on her shoulder where she would have fallen asleep in bed watching a film. I can't stand them bastards. I never kill them but fuck me even the thought of seeing one makes me want to hand myself in. I'd rather a burglar be downstairs when I go for a piss at 3am rather than bumping into a spider.  

5 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I'll stick to my dogs thanks, you absolute lunatic. There is not one logical reason that anyone could ever come up with for having a hostile, dinner plate sized spider as a "pet". The only reason i can possibly think of is that people who own these type of creatures are homicidal maniacs.

My mate used to have a snake and he fed it dead mice that he bought in in bulk, frozen and then defrosted them to give to the snake. What does a human get out of that scenario?  My dogs like to cuddle in on the sofa, chase a ball occasionally and go on long walks with me. There is a give and receive affection element to it that is mutually rewarding to both parties. What do you get from keeping a giant hostile arachnid? A life of fear and probably a constantly dug up garden because under the patio is the only place you can store all of the people you've murdered.      

3 years since my original post and I've gone and bought another bunch of spiders, around this time last year.  One of them another Goliath that unfortunately died after molting (they're prone to that).

My son thinks they're cool, he's taken a great interest in them.

I'd always had Staffies as a married man, but it wouldn't be fair on a mutt now with me being at work all day.  The spiders are low maintenance and it's funny seeing people's reactions when they see the tanks.

I've also had Royal Pythons in the past.......

Hopefully my Salmon Pink gets to this size :

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I've been bitten twice in the last year. Once before xmas when we had a pipe burst and I had to reach down the manhole to turn the outside stopcock off. Felt the web but the house was filling up and she was flapping so I just got on with it. Next day two bites right next to each other. Then must have been one night over this weekend I've had an itch under my ear lobe... she's looked and its a bite exactly the same as two on her shoulder where she would have fallen asleep in bed watching a film. I can't stand them bastards. I never kill them but fuck me even the thought of seeing one makes me want to hand myself in. I'd rather a burglar be downstairs when I go for a piss at 3am rather than bumping into a spider.  

If you pretend to be Spider-Man and start flinging your own jizz at passers-by like Multiple Miggs, this will be why.

6 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I get it, watching animals we like gives us a dopamine hit. If you're not bothered by spiders I understand why having some would be appealing. I'd have a habitat for tree frogs if I had the funds to do it properly, and wasn't renting. I also miss spending time in countries with geckos running around the walls. That would never get old for me.

If it’s Tarantula’s that bother anyone on here then get yourself a Tarantula Hawk Wasp  (Pepsi’s wasp) they’ll sort them out no problem

It’s an giant wasp two inches long with the most painful sting in the entire catalog of known bug bites and stings. 
The female wasp hunts tarantulas and can be seen scuttling along the ground during the hunt. When she finds females in their burrows, she boldly enters, chases them into the open, and then attacks. She may also find male tarantulas out looking for a mate. The tarantula hawk's terrible sting paralyzes the spider - a sting from which it will never recover. 

She then drags the hapless arachnid back to its burrow, now a burial vault, or in the case of the males, she'll prepare a brooding nest in the ground. In this darkened chamber, the grisly ceremony begins. She lays a single egg on the spider's abdomen and then covers the entrance to the nest. When the egg hatches, the larva makes a hole in the paralyzed but still alive tarantula's abdomen and proceeds to "feed ravenously," avoiding vital organs in order to keep the tarantula alive as long as possible. After several (agonizing) weeks, the larva pupates and eventually an adult wasp exits the tarantula husk. Now those are some rough facts of life!

https://nhmu.utah.edu/blog/2016/10/13/pain-dracula-wasp