You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax Nick, I'm not saying we will sign him. I'm just saying he has been mentioned and is on a shortlist, with the likes of Milner. I'm just hoping the list isn't that short, and that they are nearer to the bottom of it than the top.

IM totally relaxed mate I really dont care anymore the only thing that matters to me is getting rid of Hicks so much so id be happy to see Torres leave if that meant the americans out of our club its the only thing that really matters to me

As for signing I fully expect to be dissapointed by Rafa this summer so I can have some fun and joke about the targets

Downing would only be a backup to Babel/Alternative to Babel. So, in that sense it's not a bad purchase from what I reckon(if he's cheap).

It is the right side that we need a big purchase.

I think Barry is wanted by Rafa to play on the left. I think he will be wasted out there personally.

I think Barry is wanted by Rafa to play on the left. I think he will be wasted out there personally.

Right, but Downing is a left sided midfielder... I could see him operating in the left forward position but I can't fathom him playing anywhere else, can you?

Right, for the first time ever I've had enough of something you've posted. It's all very well setting out your wish/wank list of players that you want us to sign (and let's face it we've all got one), and all very well sayin YOU will give Rafa one more season, and all very well saying that with the quality of these signings Rafa will be gone soon.... ....but....

....WE. DON'T. HAVE. ANY. MONEY.

Read it, repeat it to yourself slowly, and let it sink in. Let's do that again.

WE. DON'T. HAVE. ANY. MONEY.

So....

WHERE IS THE FUCKING MONEY FOR ALL THESE SUPERSTARS GOING TO COME FROM?????

Just wondering when we sign one of our 3 English Muskateers who will lead us to glory how many of you will be singing Babel´s praises when Downing kicks him out of the team and shows that Rafa is a miracle worker and the best left sided player in the PL

Right, for the first time ever I've had enough of something you've posted. It's all very well setting out your wish/wank list of players that you want us to sign (and let's face it we've all got one), and all very well sayin YOU will give Rafa one more season, and all very well saying that with the quality of these signings Rafa will be gone soon....

Let's see come August if we have any more or not eh? Don't forget Rafa has spent more than Wenger and Fergie in his time here, and more than Chelsea these past 18 months. The we don't have no money brigade really need to shut up for a while.

No Rash, YOU need to shut up for a while. Please. Just a week without the Benitez bollocks. Anyone with an iota of sense can see that unless DIC come in almost immediately the man will be forced to do as much as he can with very little.

FAO Rashid.

Would you be so kind as to show us how we can compete with this spending pretty please. I realise a few of the fees may be a little off, but there is a reason we are far behind man utd and chelsea.

Chelsea

Shevchenko - £30m

Drogba - £24m

Essien - £26m

Robben - £14m?

Carvalho - £17m

Wright Phillips - £24m

Duff - £17m

Veron - £20m

Ferreira - £12m

Ashley Cole - £15m (i'd say gallas was worth around 10m, plus the 5m cash)

Mikel - £16m

Makelele - £17m

Malouda - £13m

Then the likes of cech, ivanovic, alex, bridge, joe cole, johnson, parker, kalou all being I think in the 7-10m bracket.

Man Utd

Ferdinand - £30m

Rooney - £27m

Veron - £27m

Ronaldo - £13m

Saha - £13m

Nani - £13m

Anderson - £17m

Carrick - £17m

Hargreaves - £18m

Tevez - £10m loan fee for 2 seasons?

Van Nistelrooy - £17m

Then the likes of evra, vidic, alan smith, heinze in the 7-10m bracket.

Liverpool

Cisse - £14m (not a rafa signing but still I'll put him in)

Torres - £21m

Babel - £11m

Mascherano - £19m

Alonso - £10.5m

Kuyt - £9m

Then the likes of crouch, agger, skrtel, lucas, pennant, bellamy, sissoko, morientes, garcia, reina in the 6-10m bracket.

Basically what Im saying is that the quality and depth is man utd and chelseas squad was extremely expensive. Rafa has not been able to improve the squad in the many positions it needed to be improved, whilst buy world class players until last season when torres and mascher were brought in.

Net spending is high for us because the players we have sold in the first two seasons under rafa were poor and not worth much. Last season we made funds from selling players like cisse, bellamy, gonzalez for a good price.

How can anyone compete with the spending power of the top two?

Oh Ive not even begun with a wage list, where chelsea are miles ahead of man utd and liverpool.

Ive added some early transfers before rafa came here to prove the disadvantage he was already facing when he came.

Torres - £21m

Babel - £11m

Mascherano - £19m

Alonso - £10.5m

Kuyt - £9m

Crouch - 6m

Bellamy - 6m

Agger 6m

Sissoko 5m

Reina 6.5m

Skrtel 6m

Morientes 6m

Pennany 7m

Benayoun 4.5m

Garcia 6m

Total 140m ish

I am going out, I will reply to that lot later.... but in addition to what Nick just wrote much of it boils down to Rafa's love of 10 players at £5m each as opposed to 3 @ £17m each.

Rafa HAS spent shit loads these past few years so the "not being able to compete" on finance issue is being addressed... so the goal posts now change to "what about players signed by United 8 years ago" etc... fucks sake.

Karl it get bought up whenever another forum thicko forgets how much we have spent and goes on about us having no money. These people think Bentley, Barry and Downing will come cheap! Their equivelent abroad would cost a combined £10m.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Downing. It all seems to stem from his England performances, where the entire team is dog shit anyway. He scored 10 goals from the left wing, and 9 in the league. Thats more than Babel, and more than Kuyt.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Downing. It all seems to stem from his England performances, where the entire team is dog shit anyway. He scored 10 goals from the left wing, and 9 in the league. Thats more than Babel, and more than Kuyt.

Agreed. His goal scoring record last season, even though I don't know too much about Downing because I never watch Boro except when we play them, was pretty good and I think he'd probably be a decent signing because of it.

He's coming as a Rotational option. Nothing more.

Torres - £21m

Babel - £11m

Mascherano - £19m

Alonso - £10.5m

Kuyt - £9m

Crouch - 6m

Bellamy - 6m

Agger 6m

Sissoko 5m

Reina 6.5m

Skrtel 6m

Morientes 6m

Pennany 7m

Benayoun 4.5m

Garcia 6m

Total 140m ish

Sold Garcia for what? 5m? Bellamy for 7.5? Sissoko for 10? Morientes for 5.5? Cisse for what? 7?

Total more like: 105m ish

That's less than four players from the XI from Utd/Chelsea.

NEXT!!!!