You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Harsh, he's left footed, he's a proper winger, who can deliver a decent ball, and finally, like most of Rafa's signings, he played reasonably well against us in the 3-2 game at Anfield :whistle:

Proper winger? He can't beat his man, doesn't have much pace and woudn't scare the top defenders. I guess this summer will be about buying mediocre home grown lads... let it be!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper winger? He can't beat his man, doesn't have much pace and woudn't scare the top defenders. I guess this summer will be about buying mediocre home grown lads... let it be!

Slow down!

I didn't say I wanted him, I said your description was harsh.

Wingers stay wide and cross the ball well, IMO, Downing meets both of those criteria.

Top class wingers can also beat a man. Unfortunately, there are very few of them around/available

"Scare the top defenders". What - over-repeated - fix idea of yours is that? Wingers never scare defenders, only Skrtels do.

If Downing scares you off that's enough for me.

I have seen players scare fullbacks shitless... I have seen Carra shit himself when confronted with Henry. I have seen a scramble of players rushing towards one area of the pitch when Ronaldo get's the ball. We need a player to do that, not Downing. Rafa won't be here long after he signs these latest batch of squaddies.

He's the closest to Steve Guppy about at the moment and that will do me in terms of wingers. They put crosses in, do wingers. And Downing puts a lot in.

I'm not a fan of the person but with Rashid spitting I'm beginning to like him.

He's the closest to Steve Guppy about at the moment and that will do me in terms of wingers. They put crosses in, do wingers. And Downing puts a lot in.

John Roberston during his time at Forest wasn't a glamourous player but was extremely effective.

Ooooh. Damned with the faintest ever praise.

Only if he's cheap. There's a dearth of left sided players out there so it won't be easy finding someone to play there, but Downing would be good competition and an alternative for Babel. I mean, we haven't done badly with Babel out there this season so we can still play him there if need be, and Downing can replace Kewell. As I say though, I wouldn't want to see us spend that much on him.

I'm not a fan of Downing. But I am open to him proving me wrong.

9 league goals in a shite Boro team is a good tally.

Remove the name Downing and add Zenden and you've all old post; one clutching at straws.

'Steve Guppy:D

Is the answer Middlesbrough?

Is the correct answer...

It would seem that I have been the victim of a little joke at my (and now your) expense...

For the record, I have never rated Downing, and I don't think he is the level of player that we need to be looking at, but he has improved massively in the last 18 months and I think he may well be in a position where he moves to a team such as Spurs, Villa, or dare I say it Everton and may well make the step up and prove himself as one of the top wingers in the division... saying that, if he made that move and remainder Mr Average I wouldn't be surprised either!!

One bit of gossip that my mates are adament is true is that Derby are having a real look at Phil Neville. Can't see it for the life of me (though elsewere I've heard strong rumours he's leaving Everton in the summer), but my mate has swore blind it's true that him going to Derby is a serious possibility. Would be a strange move to say the least!!

Blah blah blah- Are you still not allowed to quote him?? Haha

For the record - I wasn't talking to who you assume I was talking to... though it was attributed to him by my mate who was winding me up!!

One thing that I do know to be true is that the Blueshite signing of Anthony Gardner on loan this season was their Plan B having agreed personal terms with the player in Plan A, only for his team to refuse to let him go out on loan to another Premiership Club (including the team that played in the Premiership this season, but undoubtedly proved that they are NOT a Premiership club!!)

Downing isnt good enough for Liverpool in my opinion. Very surprised were being linked with him. He is a good crosser of the ball but I dont think hes particularly skillful or fast. If we were gonig for an english winger would much rather us look at ashley young at villa.

I have seen players scare fullbacks shitless... I have seen Carra shit himself when confronted with Henry. I have seen a scramble of players rushing towards one area of the pitch when Ronaldo get's the ball. We need a player to do that, not Downing. Rafa won't be here long after he signs these latest batch of squaddies.

Seen it all from where?

Your sofa in St Albans.

Utter tit you are, egocentric dick who thinks any forum that allows you radiates around your axis.

As for Rafa, you want him, you don't, he's great, he's shoit.

Are you a Schizophrenic as well as a walter mitty?

Seen it all from where?

Your sofa in St Albans.

Utter tit you are, egocentric dick who thinks any forum that allows you radiates around your axis.

As for Rafa, you want him, you don't, he's great, he's shoit.

Are you a Schizophrenic as well as a walter mitty?

Don't quote him. In fact, why not put him on ignore as others have?

Downing, Bentley & Barry now thats 3 signings to inspire us to the title next season.

Its about time we signed more players of Gerrard´s quality

Relax Nick, I'm not saying we will sign him. I'm just saying he has been mentioned and is on a shortlist, with the likes of Milner. I'm just hoping the list isn't that short, and that they are nearer to the bottom of it than the top.