You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

I dont have a grand plan, but shedding some of our add on's would generate some decent funds, plus the usual £20m per summer. The underlying point is that we cannot afford another summer of buying players we hope will succeed. Obviously, there is a risk with every player, but if you spend big on the big players, they will come right more often than not.

Besides, we really dont know what way we will be situated in the summer with regard to ownership etc.

What usual £20m per summer? We're stone broke! We're paying back £40m a year on loans. I think we'll only be able to spend whatever we get in this summer (plus the Keane money)

A takeover is the only way we'll be able to compete this summer I think.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should try to sign players who fit into the 4-2-3-1 system, and Villa doesn't as we already have Torres.

It's a moot arguement anyway, as we can't afford either Villa or Silva.

and when Torres or Gerrard are injured what do we do? aah well nevermind, there's always next season?

and when Torres or Gerrard are injured what do we do? aah well nevermind, there's always next season?

We need to sign a striker as back up to Torres without doubt. I'd be happy to go into next season with Benayoun as cover for Gerrard.

Torres and Villa are very effective for Spain, Villa scores more Torres scores less but Spain have won 29 of their last 32 games or something

i reckon at home Torres and Villa would be too much for the small teams we should be beating rather than drawing, face facts if we want to win the title we have to win like 16 home games

any wide players we can get will probably only add about 3 assists a season like Riera, there simply isnt a Ronaldo ready to be signed.

Villa on the other hand at least you know should be effective and also provides cover for injuries to Torres and Gerrard

I would be surprised if Silva ended up in england as im sure I read something a while ago where he stated he had no intention playing over here - may have been when united came in for him.

As for Villa I can just see the fee being fuckin ludicrous as I would be surpised if chelsea or/and man city along with madrid came in for him.

Would be nice though to have 2 top class strikers

I want Ribery to join us, definitely, but I can't see us getting the funds to buy him when Barca buy at least one player a summer for €30m or so.

if Barca have tapped him up it's different than saying we can't afford him - cos we could afford him if we targeted him above any other signing IMHO

if it comes to a straight up choice between Villa, Silva or Ribery - ie can only afford 1 player - it has to be Ribery for me

Ribery is going to Barca, done deal, with Hleb going the other way

Keane should be the perfect partner for Torres in a 4-4-2 so why sell him if Rafa intends to play that system?

They barely played together so Keane didn't fail in that role for me, but he was sold anyway. He failed as a lone striker, but that's never been his position.

We should try to sign players who fit into the 4-2-3-1 system, and Villa doesn't as we already have Torres.

It's a moot arguement anyway, as we can't afford either Villa or Silva.

Keane should not be the perfect partner for Torres at all, I honestly think is one of the least suited players in the league to play with Torres.

Keane needs to chase the line and be feed by others to be at his best.

Keane the second striker is one of the strangest myths around almost on par with Henry being poor in his first season for Arsenal, the same season he scored 26 or 27 goals for the club. :wallbutt:

Keane should not be the perfect partner for Torres at all, I honestly think is one of the least suited players in the league to play with Torres.

Keane needs to chase the line and be feed by others to be at his best.

Keane the second striker is one of the strangest myths around almost on par with Henry being poor in his first season for Arsenal, the same season he scored 26 or 27 goals for the club. :wallbutt:

The Henry myth is understandable though because he hardly scored in his first 10 or so games so questions were being asked. The Keane one though is as you say strange every time I saw him play, he led the line and Berbatov was the link striker.

Where's all this "we're broke" coming from? Am i the only one here who thinks that we will be taken over in the summer/Gillett will sell his stake to a rich investor?

Maybe you're right, maybe we won't be broke, but as things stand now "we're broke"