You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt Silva homesick in Valencia though? Think i heard that about him last year, if thats the case he would be ten times worse here.

I think you're thinking of Jesus Navas and his anxiety attacks when he leaves Sevilla. Silva's been at Valencia since he was 16.

I can't see us having anywhere near enough money for Villa. Madrid had a €35m bid turned down in the summer according to that article. We're never going to pay £30m for a player while Laurel & Hardy are in charge.

Aaron Lennon has picked his game up and starting to bag a few goals.

Could be one to keep an eye on

Or not, because we dont need to take another risk. Top class signings are what we want in the summer. Villa and Ribery I tells ye.

I think you're thinking of Jesus Navas and his anxiety attacks when he leaves Sevilla. Silva's been at Valencia since he was 16.

I can't see us having anywhere near enough money for Villa. Madrid had a €35m bid turned down in the summer according to that article. We're never going to pay £30m for a player while Laurel & Hardy are in charge.

Silva has categorically said on several occasions that he does not want to leave Spain

Or not, because we dont need to take another risk. Top class signings are what we want in the summer. Villa and Ribery I tells ye.

Did you think Morientes was a risk? He was quality in La Liga or Robbie Keane? Quality player wasnt he for Spurs?

Cannot guarentee anything, look at the big name flops, shevchenko, veron and co

4-4-2 just isn't working for us... from what I can see...

Its a damn long time since we had strikers like Villa and Torres up front though, but Villa would be perfect behind Torres in a 4-2-3-1 system as well.

Its really this simple, if we buy Villa we will win the title even with dross like Dossena at left back.

You're looking at the guts of £80m for those two, where is the money coming from?

I dont have a grand plan, but shedding some of our add on's would generate some decent funds, plus the usual £20m per summer. The underlying point is that we cannot afford another summer of buying players we hope will succeed. Obviously, there is a risk with every player, but if you spend big on the big players, they will come right more often than not.

Besides, we really dont know what way we will be situated in the summer with regard to ownership etc.

You're looking at the guts of £80m for those two, where is the money coming from?

Simple: just add together every transfer sum Rafa has spent on players in his time here until you reach 80m, then argue that this could've been saved up for these two class players instead of all that dross, and then you're off. Insert "sackable offence" or "fat shithouse" at your leisure.

Selling Keane proves to me that Rafa doesn't want to play 4-4-2 so buying Villa would be pointless. We need wide players to make his desired system work, so signing Silva is a no brainer.

Shame we can't afford him though.

Doesnt prove he didnt want 442, it proved Keane was an utter failure and losses were cut.

Its a damn long time since we had strikers like Villa and Torres up front though, but Villa would be perfect behind Torres in a 4-2-3-1 system as well.

Its really this simple, if we buy Villa we will win the title even with dross like Dossena at left back.

Agreed.

I think Villa would simply be awesome playing behind Torres. As for those who say Torres only prefers to play upfront on his own - well, the problem is when he gets injured, we won't have anyone else to call upon. The best way to deal with this is to play both Torres and Villa together. Give them time to develop their partnership and feed off one another. Villa can also play on his own upfront if Torres get injured and vice versa.

I don't know why I just wrote all that because I don't think we can afford Villa anway!

Silva is a talented player but he's got very poor stamina level, always seem knackered after sixty and odd minutes. And with the amount of defensive work Rafa will undoubtedly get him through, it's a no for me. As for Villa, I'm a real fan, that said I'm another one who thinks we should build the team around the Torres-Gerrard partnership. IMO, taking into consideration the fact that the right-winger position is arguably our main worry and the different transfer fees involved, we are more likely to get Joaquin and personally I wouldn't really mind it.

Doesnt prove he didnt want 442, it proved Keane was an utter failure and losses were cut.

Keane should be the perfect partner for Torres in a 4-4-2 so why sell him if Rafa intends to play that system?

They barely played together so Keane didn't fail in that role for me, but he was sold anyway. He failed as a lone striker, but that's never been his position.

We should try to sign players who fit into the 4-2-3-1 system, and Villa doesn't as we already have Torres.

It's a moot arguement anyway, as we can't afford either Villa or Silva.

Keane should be the perfect partner for Torres in a 4-4-2 so why sell him if Rafa intends to play that system?

They barely played together so Keane didn't fail in that role for me, but he was sold anyway. He failed as a lone striker, but that's never been his position.

We should try to sign players who fit into the 4-2-3-1 system, and Villa doesn't as we already have Torres.

It's a moot arguement anyway, as we can't afford either Villa or Silva.

I think Villa will perfectly suit the 4-2-3-1. Or 4-4-2. He has enough vision and skill to play behind the striker. He is also very good in dead ball deliveries. He can also play on the right or as a out-and-out striker.

As you said, no point in talking about it as we can't afford him anyway.

There was a thread recently about us buying Villa and I really couldnt get over the level of resistance to us signing him, assuming we had the funds available. He is world class and would make us better. Simple sums.

Totally agree. I started a thread about Etoo too and people where sayin that he abd Torres wouldnt click either..

Personally, I think Villa, and Etoo for that matter, would be just what liverpool needs. Gerrard can go back into centre mid, where imo has always played his best football for liverpool.

There's all this complaint about having only one senior striker, yet people are reluctant to accept Villa as an ideal partner for Torres.

Hopefully Rafa can use his spanish connections once more and lure him our way!

Totally agree. I started a thread about Etoo too and people where sayin that he abd Torres wouldnt click either..

Personally, I think Villa, and Etoo for that matter, would be just what liverpool needs. Gerrard can go back into centre mid, where imo has always played his best football for liverpool.

There's all this complaint about having only one senior striker, yet people are reluctant to accept Villa as an ideal partner for Torres.

Hopefully Rafa can use his spanish connections once more and lure him our way!

We have bigger fucking issues. We need to fix the right and left flank, like EVERY TRANSFER WINDOW for a bloody decade.

I said in the summer we should have signed Silva instead of Keane.

Silva is exactly the type of player we need.

Ay, in an ideal world, we'd have the cash to sign both. If twas a choice between the two and or Keane, Silva would certainly be the type of player we need, though whether he has the strength to play in the prem i dont know.

Simple: just add together every transfer sum Rafa has spent on players in his time here until you reach 80m, then argue that this could've been saved up for these two class players instead of all that dross, and then you're off. Insert "sackable offence" or "fat shithouse" at your leisure.

On the money there Milan !