You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

I know nothing about Aquilani. Therefore I've decided to do a bit of scouting.

The outsiders guide to Alberto Aquilani

-------------------------------------------

Name: Alberto Aquilani

Club: Roma

Position: Midfielder

Nickname: "Il piccolo coccodrillo" which translates to "The small crocodile"

Hair: Great (Albertini-esque)

Eyes: Slightly crossed

Club: 102 games (9 goals)

International: 11 games (2 goals)

aquilani.jpg

Alberto Aquilani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The outsiders verdict: Worth a pun for the right price. His hair alone is worth a couple of millions and the nickname offers endless merchandise opportunities. If we buy him, we should definitely bring over his mum as well, as italians don't do well far from home.

He has the same sort of goal record as Xabi.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Villa start their season extra early for the Inter Toto last season? Their whole team hit the wall after Christmas, not just Young, which tells me it was a collective problem rather than an individual one.

Whether he was tired or not, I don't think he's a significant improvement in terms of overall effectiveness on what we've got already in Riera (and I'm hardly Albert's biggest fan).

Young is quick and has got a decent delivery, not sure he's got the footballing brain required to play for us. As much as it sounded tongue in cheek, I don't think the lad who said Babel was better was that wrong. Given a full season each playing regularly, I wouldn't say that there would be much between what Babel and Young would have brought to the side.

If he was this potential world beater, then surely a few others would be in for him?

He isn't. Babel is a shit footballer with really poor game intelligence.

Listening to Benitez shouting to him when to press and when not to yesterday said it all. He needs to be playing for a team where he can just do his thing.

Rafs shouts at everyone all through the game... thats no way to judge a player.

But after three years he hasn't worked out when to press and when not to? Pressing is like the most fundamental part of Benitez's tactics and if he's not grasped that yet what chance understanding complicated shit?

But after three years he hasn't worked out when to press and when not to? Pressing is like the most fundamental part of Benitez's tactics and if he's not grasped that yet what chance understanding complicated shit?

[YOUTUBE]pZW7CSqsdzE[/YOUTUBE]

How the fuck is "pressing" a tactic? Not exactly complicated is it?

If he doesn't do it he's just lazy.

Actually there was a better example of his problem. He was down in the LB position facing a winger. He was square on, you could see it slowly dawning on him that he was defending and so should switch to a defensive stance. He slowly repositioned himself side-on as all good defenders do. While all this was going on, the guy ran past him. It was class.

Babel and Cisse are the same. Both of them are reasonable football players, but neither of them understand the technicalities of the game. If Babel wasn't fast, he'd be completely useless.

Babel seems to want to learn though, but every time he makes a mistake, his head drops. If Benitez is going to keep him, he needs to find a role where he isn't so easily overwhelmed.

Babel seems to want to learn though, but every time he makes a mistake, his head drops. If Benitez is going to keep him, he needs to find a role where he isn't so easily overwhelmed.

The bench it is.

Considering we would have to spend circa £20m on Young, I say no. He looks good in a very average Villa side, but is a risk. We cannot risk £20m.

OK, there is a risk involved with the signing of any player, but for instance, Silva is an established international and has proven that he can do it on a consistent basis in the spanish league. There a still doubts surrounding Young.

But Babel is a full international player. He should have a full grasp of the basics by now.

Easily his biggest weakness is his lack of belief. The increasingly infrequent times where he does what comes naturally he looks a very good player. Especially in his first year, little first time lay offs in crowded penalty areas, the back heel goal, the goal vs Derby, his performance vs Inter. He looked a different player to the confused, de moralised figure of last year. It's down to us to get the best from him.

You don't get to Ajax's first team at such an early age if you don't have something exceptional about you. Maybe not a Rafa type (why did he sign him then?) but I reckon he'll go on to be a top player somewhere. Hopefully here.

Considering we would have to spend circa £20m on Young, I say no. He looks good in a very average Villa side, but is a risk. We cannot risk £20m.

OK, there is a risk involved with the signing of any player, but for instance, Silva is an established international and has proven that he can do it on a consistent basis in the spanish league. There a still doubts surrounding Young.

I would be worried about his mrs being a twat and then him wanting to bugger off as soon as Barca and Madrid get interested after him not settling in to the lifestyle. I would probably prefer Young as eventually our spanish speaking lads will go and i think we have too many whose heads will be turned in a few years.