You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Michael Owen Opens Tentative Discussions With Manchester United - Report

After the bookies cut the odds on his joining the champions, a British media outlet has claimed that there have been talks between the player's representatives and the Old Trafford giants.

Michael Owen would not have been the name on most people's lips when suggestions were mooted as to how Sir Alex Ferguson could reinforce Manchester United's depleted forward line, following the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid, and the imminent exit of Carlos Tevez, probably to Manchester City.

Not only is Owen an icon at United's fierce Lancashire rivals Liverpool, but he has also endured a spate of injuries during his time at Newcastle United and, prior to that, at Real Madrid, something which has seen him lose his place in the England squad.

However, Sky Sports News is reporting that it "understands" that "tentative" talks have begun between Owen's representatives and United, after bookmakers' odds on a likely move fell from 20/1 this morning to an astonishing 9/4 on this evening.

Owen, despite the injuries, still managed 11 goals for Newcastle last season, and, given the right service and a clean bill of health, still possesses a lethal finisher's instinct in the box.

Such an ability is priceless, and, with the Red Devils always likely to create plenty of chances, perhaps Ferguson feels that the player is worth taking an unlikely punt on.

Traitor.

I saw this. Cant see whiskey features taking such a risk on him though, unless they still land a major striker who'll stay fit. Which'll leave Owen as a back up striker on a world cup year. He'll wanna be the main man wherever he goes, to win back his england place.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bacon Face is panicking if this is true, all his top targets don't wanna play for the self styled best club in the world so now he's shitting it and going for Owen. who i must say if he goes there will just show what a cunt he really is.

I couldn't give a fuck if he joins the Mancs. He fucked us over when he left before giving Rafa a chance, then he fucked us over again when he chose England and Newcastle over Liverpool. It's a long time since I've given a fuck about Owen. He could have been a Liverpool legend but he thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.

From a purely football point of view I'll be happy if they sign him too because they don't need him. They've a couple of very good prospects in Welbeck and Macheda and signing him would stifle their progress a bit. He's finished as a top level footballer IMO.

Fuck there's a whole shedfull of Bullshit in this post. You've not only had a go a MO but also Carra must be a liar 'cos his books tells a different story.

I don't know what exactly you're referring to. But Carragher is not the ultimate authority on things LFC. He's admitted to not knowing what goes on in the boardroom or in the offices of Parry, Houllier or Rafa. What he does say about them is opinion or gossip.

In addition he was always an uncritical hanger-on to Owen and still is. He has benefited from commercial deals arranged by the Owen management team. My guess is he find it easier to swallow the Owen PR line than question it openly.

I cant believe you guys and girls cant see the wonderfulness of this.

5 Years ago he fucked us over and showed what a horrible little man he really was and we win number 5 in Istanabul in 2005

5 Years later he fucks us over even bigger and in 2010 we win number 19 and payback is a bitch as he sees us lift the trophy.

I tell you its written in the stars

5 Years ago he fucked us over and showed what a horrible little man he really was and we win number 5 in Istanabul in 2005

5 Years later he fucks us over even bigger and in 2010 we win number 19 and payback is a bitch as he sees us lift the trophy.

Amen Nick

Liverpool are among several clubs interested in signing Gaetano D’Agostino, the Udinese playmaker, but they are also considering a move for Marek Hamsik, if Xabi Alonso leaves.

Udinese have said that D’Agostino would cost £15.4 million, but that he is likely to join Juventus. “I can confirm the interest of the foreign club [Liverpool],” Sergio Gasperin, the Udinese sporting director, said. Hamsik, a Slovakia playmaker, was top scorer in his first season with Napoli two years ago.

Liverpool chase Udinese playmaker Gaetano D’Agostino | Premier League - Times Online

I agree, i can also picture Gerrard banging in the winner against the scum and owen just looking on.

He will barely play and he offers nothing except poaching and united will struggle without ronaldo and they played some turgid stuff at times last season.

I couldn't care less if he joins them