You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronaldinho who at his better is greater than ANY player on this planet is avaible for a knock-down fee, if we just signed him this summer we would hae strenghted tremendously in my opinion. You must also have problem with your eyesight if you think Silva has been "average" in these Euros, the stupidity of that comment doesn't even need a response. Also you list these players to make Rafa look like some kind of wizz in the transfer market when it isn't really the case. Torres was a fantastic signing i must admit but he was bought after everyone had lost patience with Rafa continued signing of non-goalscoring strikers so he was forced to think big that time. Mascherano again was a good signing but the main reason he was signed was that he was a defensive midfielder, had Mascherano been a creative midifelder extroadinaire stuck in West Ham reserves Rafa wouldn't of touched him with a barge-pole. Again a similar story with Skrtel, Rafas fairly good at spotting an signing defensive players and he is just another example. Babel however like Downing highlights Rafas flaws at selecting attacking players, he is undeniably a big talent, however he was signed for a fair wedge when there where other players more comfortable in playing the attacking midfield role avaible for a similar price. Dossena has just been signed so we dont know whether he will be a success or failure. These examples above help to shatter the myth amongst many that Rafa is some kind of whizz in the transfer market.

how_about_no_bear.jpg

Arsenal to pull out of Crouch race if Adebayor stays - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

But Benitez is now keen to get the best possible price for the 27-year-old in order to complete the transfer of Gather Barry from Aston Villa and have spare cash for other targets.

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing is not expected to be one of those despite constant speculation linking him with a move.

And Benitez is, as expected, also set to abandon his interest in James Milner as Newcastle, who have already dismissed Liverpool’s £7m valuation, are now insisting he won’t be sold.

Arsenal to pull out of Crouch race if Adebayor stays - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

But Benitez is now keen to get the best possible price for the 27-year-old in order to complete the transfer of Gather Barry from Aston Villa and have spare cash for other targets.

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing is not expected to be one of those despite constant speculation linking him with a move.

And Benitez is, as expected, also set to abandon his interest in James Milner as Newcastle, who have already dismissed Liverpool’s £7m valuation, are now insisting he won’t be sold.

I love this article.

• 3 weeks later...

'STEW'S HEART IS IN BORO' - Mirror.co.uk

'STEW'S HEART IS IN BORO'

By Simon Bird 19/07/2008

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson has insisted he will not sell £12million-rated Stewart Downingmag-glass_10x10.gif.

The England winger is wanted by Liverpool and Aston Villa but Gibson says local lad Downing is the "heart and soul" of the club.

He said: "At every transfer window Stewart Downing seems to come into the equation. But he has just signed a five-year contract with us and that shows his level of commitment to this club and ours in Stewart.

"Selling him is not something that has entered our thoughts.

"He's a sensible lad and a good lad, whose heart, soul and very being are in this club. He was excellent towards the end of last season and is a really important part of our plans. Quite simply, he isn't for sale."

I like Downing on the left as good an English player on the left as there is but 15m

i would rather spear my left bollox with a knitting needle than pay that for him

For that kind of money gets you any left winger you care to mention add to the fact we dont play with wingers anyway and i cant see it myself

I like Downing on the left as good an English player on the left as there is but 15m

i would rather spear my left bollox with a knitting needle than pay that for him

For that kind of money gets you any left winger you care to mention add to the fact we dont play with wingers anyway and i cant see it myself

If we continued with a 4-2-3-1 formation, Downing could play on the left with Gerrard on the right. Wingers are effectively redundant in that formation, but Downing is someone who can play inside.

I find it quite strange that the likes of Southgate and Gibson are coming out and talking about this now, when the speculation is no more intense than it has been for weeks. Why are they now talking about this?

It's funny how managers and chairmen say things in public which don't match reality, because we've definitely bid for Downing and they have told him he can go at the right price.

I find it quite strange that the likes of Southgate and Gibson are coming out and talking about this now, when the speculation is no more intense than it has been for weeks. Why are they now talking about this?

It's funny how managers and chairmen say things in public which don't match reality, because we've definitely bid for Downing and they have told him he can go at the right price.

Fans have a tendency to become a touch rabid when their best players are sold, so I think a lot of the time, the selling club want to be seen to be trying to hold on to their best players, even if reality suggests that they are willing to sell.

I haven't seen enough of Downing to have a definitive opinion. What have seen hasn't blown me away, though. He seems slow and inconsistent to me. What's his goal tally like?

The only thing that deffo pleases me about this mooted interest is the fact that Rafa is looking at the left side of attack. Babel needs more competition for his place and a new signing could also allow him more games on the right or up front in place of Torres when the boy wonder needs a rest.

I haven't seen enough of Downing to have a definitive opinion. What have seen hasn't blown me away, though. He seems slow and inconsistent to me. What's his goal tally like?

According to Wiki, 17 goals in 144 league games which is not great, but he does provide a load of assists.

He's not a flashy player, but he'd do a good job on the left, in an area we have been sadly lacking for the past few seasons.

The only thing that deffo pleases me about this mooted interest is the fact that Rafa is looking at the left side of attack. Babel needs more competition for his place and a new signing could also allow him more games on the right or up front in place of Torres when the boy wonder needs a rest.

He scored 9 league goals last season. I think Downing is quite quick but I don't think he lightening, reckon he's much better than Pennant in terms of pace and product. I've seen him play brilliantly then I've seen him be really shit a few times, so I have doubts over his consistency.

He isn't quite quick Dave, he is slow. Downing is the modern day Darren Anderton - vastly overrated by his lovers and underrated by his detractors. He is a good premiership footballer for a mid table side and that's about it.