You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham Thread

aws

They didn't play that way at Anfield, if I recall correctly (which I will readily concede may not be the case; my memory is getting ever shitter). They were very solid and compact.

They were very well organised, and they played Cole and Bellamy upfront I think.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't play that way at Anfield, if I recall correctly (which I will readily concede may not be the case; my memory is getting ever shitter). They were very solid and compact.

Aahh ok, that could be right, I thought we battered them though and just couldn't finish what with Torres out and Gerrard playing CM.

Anyway since Cole has been injured and Bellamy and Mullins gone and with Parker injured they've played a straight 442 look soft in the middle and pretty much look tailor made for our game.

If we muller them, I'd still not be convinced we've solved "the problem".

Aahh ok, that could be right, I thought we battered them though and just couldn't finish what with Torres out and Gerrard playing CM.

Anyway since Cole has been injured and Bellamy and Mullins gone and with Parker injured they've played a straight 442 look soft in the middle and pretty much look tailor made for our game.

If we muller them, I'd still not be convinced we've solved "the problem".

I'm starting to see "the problem" (although I'm far from convinced yet) as being two-fold: psychological and a lack of the big guns. Neither one should be a significant factor on Saturday though.

I'm starting to see "the problem" (although I'm far from convinced yet) as being two-fold: psychological and a lack of the big guns. Neither one should be a significant factor on Saturday though.

I'd agree with that, it's like most problems though isn't it, when you really dig into it, it's really a multitude of little things. Tactically I'd characterize it as the inability to play well in small spaces. But we also have the problem of a limited playing style (no long ball to the 2 meter guy anymore) and the fact that our set piece conversion is AWFUL.

This is the type of test that will either leave us salivating at the prospect of next season's challenge or fearing the same old problems haven't quite been addressed. I'm actually quite confident that we'll win. There is a steely determination about our team now, along with a calm sense of self-confidence in their ability to win when the chips are down and against the best sides. If we put our strongest available side out, I think we'll win without too much bother - assuming at least one of the two big guns is fit enough to approximate his usual quality.

Uh oh, optimistic Paul is back! That's when we start going backwards!

;-)

Fuck, alonso is doubtful for this. We'll probably see Gerrard dropped further back and Torres in then.

Xabi Alonso is a doubt for Saturday's trip to West Ham - though both Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torres should be fit. Alonso left the field on a stretcher last weekend following a high challenge from Newcastle's Joey Barton.

The Spaniard was followed into the treatment room by Mascherano, who was substituted with a twisted ankle.

"Xabi is the main doubt for the weekend," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "He has been working and hopefully he will be better in a few days. He is improving but we have to wait.

"We'll have to check him for the weekend because it is more serious than Mascherano's injury."

Fernando Torres is in line for a return at Upton Park after missing Sunday's 3-0 win with a hamstring problem.

"He is training with the physios and maybe tomorrow he will start training with the rest of the team," added Benitez. "I think he will make the weekend."

Meanwhile, Torres is likely to travel with Spain to the Confederations Cup in South Africa next month, but Benitez is hopeful his star striker will have plenty of recuperation time during the summer.

He said: "We have to work together with the fitness coaches and also the doctors of Spain during the summer and hopefully it will be okay for him."

Never like this fixture at the best of times. Last season's January game was one where we put in one of our worse performances in a long while. It seemed like a potential turning point for Benitez - although I have to admit that my suspicion at the time was that it was the beginning of the end for him, rather than the start of a period where we would lose only 3 league matches in the following 15 months.

It is going to be very close, but I think we will just edge it. Agree with other posters above that 3pts here will definitely increase the pressure on United. They will be looking to this game as one which finally ends our interest, so to keep up the pressure before the City match is incredibly important. A win for us and a draw or defeat for United and we have a very interesting couple of weeks ahead.

XABI, TORRES AND MASCHERANO LATEST

Jimmy Rice at Melwood 08 May 2009

Xabi Alonso will not travel to Upton Park this weekend after failing to recover from bruising caused by a red-card challenge from Newcastle's Joey Barton last Sunday.

Rafa Benitez is hoping to have his Spanish midfielder back for the following weekend's clash against West Brom.

Meanwhile, Javier Mascherano (twisted ankle) and Fernando Torres (hamstring) are both fit to start against West Ham on Saturday tea-time after recovering from injury.

"Xabi is not fit and cannot play," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "We think maybe in the next week he will be okay. We had an idea that he could be fit for this game but in the end it was impossible.

"Javier was training and is in the squad, and so is Fernando."

Offal:

Liverpool FC would like to make supporters travelling to London for Saturday's match at West Ham United aware of the following announcement. A West Ham spokesman said: "After lengthy consultation with the Metropolitan Police, West Ham United has agreed not to sell alcohol to Liverpool supporters once the match has started at 17.30hrs.

"The kiosk will remain open for the sale of food, soft drinks, tea and coffee, but no alcohol will be sold once the match has started."

XABI, TORRES AND MASCHERANO LATEST

Jimmy Rice at Melwood 08 May 2009

Xabi Alonso will not travel to Upton Park this weekend after failing to recover from bruising caused by a red-card challenge from Newcastle's Joey Barton last Sunday.

Rafa Benitez is hoping to have his Spanish midfielder back for the following weekend's clash against West Brom.

Meanwhile, Javier Mascherano (twisted ankle) and Fernando Torres (hamstring) are both fit to start against West Ham on Saturday tea-time after recovering from injury.

"Xabi is not fit and cannot play," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "We think maybe in the next week he will be okay. We had an idea that he could be fit for this game but in the end it was impossible.

"Javier was training and is in the squad, and so is Fernando."

A bit of a blow but sort of expected.

So bring in Lucas or drop Gerrard back and play Riera? I'd leave Gerrard where he is - particularly if torres isn't fully fit.

---------------Reina---------

Arbeloa---Carra-----Agger---Aurelio

---------Lucas-----Masch---------

Kuyt----------Gerrard---------Yossi

--------------Torres----------------

I think it's same enough to say that will be the team!

0-1, Gerrard pen.

Yep, that's what i'd go for. We were awful in the home game, barely created a chance, but i think that game really shows the contrast between our style at that point of the season and how we play now. I was in the main stand about 30 yards from the goal line and i swear we only ever had 4 players who went past where i was sitting to get anywhere near the goal. The centre mids (Gerrard and Alonso??) and full back were clearly under instruction not to push on. I could actually hear people shouting 'get in the box' from the centenery. Anyway, were playing a million times better now and hopefully we'll carry that into tommorow. I've got to say this and Arsenal were the two of our run in games i was most worried about, i jst hope we do them and push those manc twats right to the end.

Lucas will play and score more towering headers. Hope he doesn't like, he is still poo and we should just put Benny in behind Torres.

I can understand that but i reckon we're better off with our best attackers in positions where they can do most damage. SG, FT and an in form Yossi will hopefully be too much for them.

I'd go with;

-----------------Reina------------------

Arbeloa-----Carra-------Agger------Insua

---------Mascherano-----Gerrard---------

----Kuyt----------Yossi----------Riera----

------------------Torres------------------

I think we will probably see Lucas, Skrtel and Aurelio in for Riera, Agger and Inusa though.