You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Houllier must stay.

Guest Duke

I'm guilty of 'reading' you all more than contributing as i don't have internet access until late evening but anyone who knows me will remember me calling for a change of manager during pre-season and especially after the Ajax game.

But there are two reasons why I've changed my mind.

1) He's done exactly what we have all called for and changed the sh*** way we used to play into the style of play we've all wanted. After five years of falling asleep in my seat on Saturdays that represents a culture change as big as the one that he forced onto the whole club when he arrived.

Portsmouth, Villa and Boro games? Yes we were terrible, but i'm willing to see those as the necessary bad performances while we adjust. Charlton etc? I f**kin' loved that game and came out of the pub sickened by the result but raving about Kewell's genius and the pass that set up Vlad's excellent goal.

Liverpool supporting mates and strangers alike (all scousers so don't start with your oot'ers bolox) felt the same, for the first time in ages we enjoyed a great game of football involving our team.

2) Most of our best players, now and those for the future, want to work with GH and came because of him. You all know who i'm talking about. Sure i feel gutted for Welshy that he probably won't see the first team as much as he should and I hate that it's players who are average at best that keep him and Semmy etc out of the team, but then, he has played TLT and FSP more than we thought he would so who knows?

You'll all slaughter me and Rashid will more than likely explode but whatever shit he talks at 4.45pm on a Saturday, and despite the baffling team selections for certain games, he's doing more good for our club than he is bad. With Cisse and Boumsong (I don't believe the Rivaldo nonsense) on their way because Gh is Gh and not Wenger or Ferguson it would be stupid to start again now and give someone else another five years to make us champions.

That said, if we finish lower than 4th because of dicks like the big guy that wears number 8 then i'll spologise to you all, eat my words and shut up for good.

Fully agree Duke - Chelsea and the Mancs have been poor but seem to get the results - with Didi back protecting the defence and Stevie let loose - I can see us turning the corner - again!!

Lets hope January is productive and most important we get the worlds greatest number 10 to sign again then watch us go!

Originally posted by johnb

Let me get this straight.

He DESERVES an opportunity for changing from the "shite" style and putting in place this "culture change"? That would be the shite style conceived of by him and the culture put in place by him? I love it.

I presume you are referring to the same "shite" style that won us cups and gave us our pride back.

After all Ferguson's Utd between 1991 and 1993 played like Brazil circa 1970 didn't they?

Originally posted by Kopite

I presume you are referring to the same "shite" style that won us cups and gave us our pride back.

After all Ferguson's Utd between 1991 and 1993 played like Brazil circa 1970 didn't they?

Oh look, it's you again. :huh:

If you bothered to read my post, you'd see I put the word shite in inverted commas, because it was Duke's original post in which that was mentioned. Remember (although you probably don't), the one you said "Nice one Duke" to?

Again, your Ferguson references are totally irrelevant. And another thing, calling someone a bullshitter is far from "vitriol". It's a fact.

For what it is worth I support what the Duke said. We've lost and enjoyed watching the game, Gutted about the result, but happy about the peformance (ie: Aresnal, Charlton, 2nd half Man Ure). Couldn't say that at all last season.

I have to say though that if we finish lower than 4th then he has to go. I will be happy with 4th while we are adjusting and then hopefully bigger and better things next season.

I will back him until he is no longer our manager. I'm grateful of what he has won for us and also the courage of his convictions this season in changing the style. We shall see, but I hope it all works out for us and GH.

By the way nice to see a few more pro-GH supporters in here for a change.

Have a :beer: on me Duke

"Duke- the shit you gave me for backing GH after the Villa game!"

Yeah, I know Big Noel, sorry about that but I was feeling 'The Rage' at the time... I'm a fiery old soul at times and I can get a bit pious when talking about LFC!

Still, with the monster (temporarily) buried, meet the new mature, humble and patient me. Truly believe that to get rid of GH now would do lots more harm than good.

I don't yet understand why we're not getting the results we're deserving but hopefully with the defence shored up in January or May/ with JC, Henchoz and Finnan back, our front six will have a little more freedom to run riot. (Pongo looks so good when he drops off to join up with play in the middle, and he can turn and be in the box almost as quickly as MO!)

We also need to work hard on finishing off moves, at risk of sounding like le boss, we could have had a hatful last night.

....And you're right, though 4th is what we now need to target, it's the minimum of what we should be achieving and doesn't represent progress from where we've been for the last 13 years - except it would mean us playing CL football.

We need that for development as much as financial reasons.

Let's just hope that what we're seeing now can be properly built on in time for next year.