You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano tapped up. Allegedly.

Bogman

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
My bet would be filth as a bit of retaliation for the suggestion we could be interested in Tevez.

Wouldnt put it past ginsoak one iota.

If it was United Rafa would have made a point of mentioning it.

In regards to Tevez, the fact that United wouldn't see a penny of any transfer deal makes mevwish we could do a deal

JAVIER HAPPY TO STAY A RED

Friday May 8,2009

By Peter Edwards

JAVIER MASCHERANO is staying at Liverpool after clear-the-air talks with Rafa Benitez about his future.

Benitez was disturbed when told of quotes attributed to Argentina skipper Mascherano suggesting he would consider a move. He paid £18million for Mascherano 15 months ago, after having had him on loan from West Ham.

“I didn’t know about his comments so I talked to him about them and he was clear that he is happy here,” Benitez said. “You cannot stop clubs talking with his agent because he is a good player and there aren’t many holding midfielders of his calibre.

“When you have four or five top clubs asking about you, you don’t want to say ‘no’ because you know in football everything can change.

“So from a player’s point of view, and especially from the agent’s, they try to keep the doors open for everyone.

“But does he want to leave? I don’t think so. He knows the best option for him at this moment is this club. In three years’ time you never know. But now he knows this is the best option.”

Manager Benitez revived the career of Mascherano after the problems at West Ham and, at 24, believes the player still has good years ahead at Anfield.

He is also confident about Spaniard Xabi Alonso despite more links with Juventus and Real Madrid.

“We want to keep all our key players here, and it is exactly the same story with Xabi,” said Benitez.

Slovak international Martin Skrtel, meanwhile, aims to help Liverpool keep alive their title hopes over the final three games and is aiming for his first goal since his £6m move from Zenit St Petersburg in January last year.

“I scored a few for Zenit and have got some for the national team, but I’m still not off the mark here,” said defender Skrtel.

“I am trying and I am getting into the box for the set-pieces. It is starting to annoy me a little now. I know scoring goals is not my main responsibility but I would still really love to get one soon.

“It would be a very proud moment in my career.”

French striker David Ngog, 20, wants more action in the closing weeks. He cost £1.5m from Paris St Germain last year, and believes the influence of Fernando Torres is helping him.

Benitez will use Ngog in the games at West Ham and West Brom as well as the home finale against Tottenham. Ngog has made just five starts and 12 appearances as a substitute, scoring three times, two of those goals arriving in the recent victories over Sunderland and Blackburn.

“If I can help the team in any way then I will be very happy,” said Ngog. “We have some big games coming up and I have to work hard to be involved.

“At this stage of the season the manager needs everyone so we have to be ready. Whenever I have played I’ve really enjoyed it and to have scored for the team gives me more confidence.

“It is really good to be involved because the team are playing so well and I will always try to do my best for the team and for the club. If the manager gives me time to play, either from the start or as a substitute, then I’ll give everything.

“It is important to be ready when I am given a chance and if I am a substitute and the manager asks me to go on, then hopefully I can help the team. I am fortunate to be able to work alongside a player like Fernando Torres because he is a great example for me and I hope to learn from him.

“I want to improve and by working hard in training every day and by watching what Fernando does, then I hope this will happen.”

Benitez said: “If he is keen to learn and he has good players around him then he can learn from all of them – from Fernando Torres, from Dirk Kuyt and from Steven Gerrard.”

Daily Express | Sport | Football