You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rambo First Blood

Ginny

What a film. The characters are ace especially Lt.Colonel Trautman, his tone of voice when he delivers his lines. This quote gets me everytime - fucking funny

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best."

Not to mention the slide tackle Rambo does on that bizzie when he's escaping from the station. Boss

It's boss.

Both of Stallone's main franchises, First Blood and Rocky, kicked off with two truly iconic films and got progressivley more 'wacky'.

Anyone who says he can't act should just watch the last ten minutes of First Blood, I thought he was boss in it.

Spoiler from the book

...about Trautman and Rambo, below.

Also I don't think he is called Rambo in the book...simply 'the kid'.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

In the book Trautman kills Rambo for what he has done.

Guest TK-421

Teasle: Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us?

Trautman: You send that many, don't forget one thing.

Teasle: What?

Trautman: A good supply of body bags.

Awesome!!!

Guest TK-421
The Rambos got progressively worse, whilst Rocky was always just a bit too cheesy for me.

I like Rambo IV. Still not a patch on First Blood but I found it an entertaining finale to the Rambo saga.

First Blood is a terrific film, what is surprising is the direction the sequels take!

I'd seen it as a kid (could only recall the sewing of the arm), but only revisted it recently I was surprised how intelligent (The Political Post Vietman overtones) it actually was, compared the campy sequels anyway!

One of my all-time favourite films. The dialogue and acting are excellent.

This was supposed to be one of the original "video nasties" from the 1980's but "I Spit On Your Grave\The Exterminator\The Burning\Zombie Flesh Eaters" it was not.

From the slide tackle and elbow smashing the policeman's nose (in one move), to the sewing of the wound. From the Trautman's speech about making a Billy goat puke to Stallone taking on both the National Guard & the local police it is a quality film.

As Mark points out the second film is also iconic however both the acting and plot are not a patch on First Blood.

I quite enjoyed the last film, apart from them trying to make out the SAS are complete wimps & novices compared to the Green Berets. I'd take an SAS man over an American Marine any day of the week (in fact in my opinion the Royal Marines & Para's are a better forces).

Teasle: Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us?

Trautman: You send that many, don't forget one thing.

Teasle: What?

Trautman: A good supply of body bags.

Awesome!!!

I can actually picture the Yanks in the cinema jumpin' up and high fiving each other after that scene!

A great film though. Stallone is a very underated actor and films like this, the first Rocky and Copland really show him for the very good actor he is (and talented writer where Rocky is concerned).

I enjoyed the final Rocky (and when the music started up in the cinema I felt the hairs on the back of my neck pop up) but thought the final Rambo was very poor.

It's boss.

Both of Stallone's main franchises, First Blood and Rocky, kicked off with two truly iconic films and got progressivley more 'wacky'.

Anyone who says he can't act should just watch the last ten minutes of First Blood, I thought he was boss in it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. When he is talking to Trautman over the radio about being back at Fort Brag where its safe, and all his mates that he lost in Vietnam chokes me everytime.

Where he's talking about getting off the plane expecting to be greeted with praise and people are calling him "Baby Kiluuuuuurrrrr". It reminds of when our troops march the other week and people were protesting against them

I'm pretty certain that First Blood was never on the BBFC's 'video nasty' list.

I don't think it was on the list but as I recall it was one of those films you weren't supposed to watch until you were certainly over the age of 16. I remember watching it round a mates, but only after his mum & dad had gone to work.

We felt positovely rebellious watching it.

Not being funny but there's a huge difference between being on the banned DPP list and being a movie which you're just to young to watch.

You can't compare I Spit on Your Grave with Rambo. Like I say, not being trying to be a pain but there's a world of difference in censorship terms.

One of my all-time favourite films. The dialogue and acting are excellent.

This was supposed to be one of the original "video nasties" from the 1980's but "I Spit On Your Grave\The Exterminator\The Burning\Zombie Flesh Eaters" it was not.

From the slide tackle and elbow smashing the policeman's nose (in one move), to the sewing of the wound. From the Trautman's speech about making a Billy goat puke to Stallone taking on both the National Guard & the local police it is a quality film.

As Mark points out the second film is also iconic however both the acting and plot are not a patch on First Blood.

I quite enjoyed the last film, apart from them trying to make out the SAS are complete wimps & novices compared to the Green Berets. I'd take an SAS man over an American Marine any day of the week (in fact in my opinion the Royal Marines & Para's are a better forces).

The SAS would be more along the lines of the Green Berets or Delta Force than The Marines. The Royal Marines definitely have a longer "boot camp" training, but I highly rate the U.S. Marines as a fighting force. They've just got so much experience. The U.S. Rangers would be on par with the Para's. They have an amazing selection and training process. Really up there.

The last Rambo movie was pretty cool. Although it did make the SAS blokes out to be inferior. But that's only for the movies.I've a tremendous amount of respect for them as a fighting force.

On a side note, I once worked with a guy who was a recon. Marine in the first gulf war. Small unit behind the lines sort of thing. He went all over the world, working along side different units, Green Berets, Foreign Legion, SAS and so forth. He said the best unit he trained along side were R.O.C Marine (Republic of Korea).

It's boss.

Anyone who says he can't act should just watch the last ten minutes of First Blood, I thought he was boss in it.

Exactly what I was going to say. The movies that First Blood spawned were jingoistic slaughter-fests and John Rambo himself becomes a cartoon-like caricature but First Blood itself is a great film.

For all his special forces skills, Rambo doesn't roll into town kicking ass - he's shown to be a man traumatised by his experiences, adrift in society without the anchor provided by his friends or fellow soldiers and struggling to understand the negative reactions to returning veterans, when he feels he's given everything he could to his country.

He's a far more rounded and human character and ultimately a much more sympathetic one because of it. Stallone carries it off well.