You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hello again!

Quick question. I've installed some new RAM in a colleagues laptop (Dell Inspiron 1721) and I bought a 2gb stick. The laptop has 2 RAM slots which previously had 512mb each and now it's got 1x2gb and 1x512mb.

Is this likely to cause problems? IE; do the 2 sticks need to be the same size?

Ta muchly. Rep awarded.

Have you tried running the laptop? Does it seem faster? Are you able to multitask greater?

I've used it and it hasn't improved like I thought it would. I've got 2 colleagues that have the exact same laptop and initially the current 'problem child' ran fine while the other was awful. I changed the RAM on the latter and had great results.

I have cleaned the thing to the best of my ability, but something is not quite right. The problem is that this person uses VPN to collect IMAP emails and the laptop doesn't really like it. I know that it's a fairly lame way of doing things but c'est la vie. This is how she works, and it SHOULD work.

Luvkily, she doesn't complain much! To be fair, 4gig of RAM will be about 4X as much as it needs so there must be an underlying problem if it doesn't work.

I'll be back if it doesn't. I'm looking at it again on friday and I anticipate a whizz-bang of a machine!

The advantage of using 2 matched sticks of RAM is that the memory controller will run in dual channel rather than single channel mode. The upshot of this is increased memory bandwidth between the CPU and the rest of the system peripherals. How much of a difference this will make to your system whilst in use (it certainly does not double the speed as the name might suggest) depends upon what the software you are running is doing.

Normal applications and use, I seem to recall a few tests giving an average of 5 to 10% increase or so when memory is being accessed in a fairly "average" way, but with some quite larger gains being had with apps that hammer data to and fro across the bus.

Hello again!

Quick question. I've installed some new RAM in a colleagues laptop (Dell Inspiron 1721) and I bought a 2gb stick. The laptop has 2 RAM slots which previously had 512mb each and now it's got 1x2gb and 1x512mb.

Is this likely to cause problems? IE; do the 2 sticks need to be the same size?

Ta muchly. Rep awarded.

Make sure the RAM is fully put in as many people lightly stick the RAM in and seem to have some problems later on.

Also, don't be too worried if you have re-starting problems several weeks in as that can occur in some Dell machines but for some reason it goes away. I know...a bit weird :eek:

What you need to do is crouch behind the barricade at the front of the carriage. Shoot the krill around his head until they clear and then with either the torque bow or the sniper rifle, shoot him in the head as many times as you can. Repeat until he gets quite near and then leg it down to the other end staying in the light as much as you can. Repeat until he's dead.

Helps if you have me or Woo as a wingman though.