You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boston.

Duncan Clench

Nice one, thanks a lot everyone. Done a bit of research and seafood seems to be the order of the day, and the heritage trail looks well worth doing. Apparently you can't go to Boston without eating at a Legal Seafood and there's one on Long Warf so we'll be going there.

I'm travelling up to Vermont (Burlington) for a few days as well which looks nice.

Thanks again.

Nice one, thanks a lot everyone. Done a bit of research and seafood seems to be the order of the day, and the heritage trail looks well worth doing. Apparently you can't go to Boston without eating at a Legal Seafood and there's one on Long Warf so we'll be going there.

I'm travelling up to Vermont (Burlington) for a few days as well which looks nice.

Thanks again.

I've just been looking at my old guide book and photos and stuff.

The Heritage trail is actually called 'The Freedom Trail', its well worth a half day of walking if you like history. You can get into the State House for free, The USS Constitution is also worth a visit and was free on memory too.

The Sox weren't at home when I arrived, but I did the tour anyway and its well worth a visit of Fenway. If you get the old guy guiding the tour he is very good and will tell you just about all you need to know.

Massachusetts is also a tax free state for purchases, so it well worth doing some shopping, but obviously you don't get a good a choice as NYC if you are heading there. Macy's will still do a % off for being an international visitor so enquire about that if you want to save some more cash.

I went to the see the Bruins, who were dogshite at the time, but probably one of the best side in the NHL at the moment, the TD North Bank centre is worth a visit and you can but tickets on this side of the Atlantic and pick them up there if you bring the card that you used to book them with. I got tickets for the NY Mets online and printed my ticket, the Red Sox may do the same, so get in early and try and get you ticket ASAP.

There are some good beers round Boston and New England, so you won't go shy there either.

edit: Do take ID with you if you intend to drink, if you're comfortably over 25, then you won't really be asked in most places, but in Stadiums they do it as a matter of course, I even saw a 70 odd year old being ID'd

Oh and it looks like the Red Sox are playing while we're there so happy days.

definitely go to fenway for a baseball game, and spend the $10 for a tour of the field on an off-day.

the gardner museum (near fenway/the fens) is a must see....Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

i really enjoyed the neighbouhoods along the river, harvard/MIT, and the italian north end.