You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Killer Flu...

Salou

Swine flu, for fuck's sake.

Has anyone got any stats comparing deaths from swine flu this year compared to deaths from normal flu that doesn't make the news?

Pandemic flu spreads in waves, the first wave is invariably mild. The 1918 Spanish Flu had a mild first wave, with the second wave being particularly fatal, with 50 million people dying. There was 1/6th of the population we have now, so that's the equivalent of 300 million people dying if a pandemic took hold with a similar mortality rate (Approx 5% of the entire population rather than those that contract it). As the virus mutates, it can increase its virulence, this strain is very contagious, scientists initially thought it would find it difficult to spread during the summer, they were wrong. An highly contagious, highly virulent variant, which H1N1 could become is not something we should take lightly.

Edited by Dirk
Clear up stats.

Couple of questions.

1) Underlying health problems, is that like if i am to get diabetes in later life because my dad has it?

I think it's things like chronic breathing problems etc, things which have already hammered your immune system, and then Flu finishes you off.

2) If i caught it and was cured would i be able to catch swine flu again?

Once you've caught and defeated swine flu you have a Rodimus Prime moment.

[YOUTUBE]yPBrxQy8cQc[/YOUTUBE]

Possibly.

I don't think we're ever going to see another election in this country.

The Civil Contingency Act will be swinging its way into action. Then the elite can impose martial law.

Then we'll get a World Government to sort this shit out. BLISS. Welcome to Eurasia.

That's what happened with the Spanish Flu pandemic, it had a minor wave, then a fucking Tsunami a year later - that's just how Influenza roles.

Wouldn't we have a vaccine though now, in time for the second wave?

Wouldn't we have a vaccine though now, in time for the second wave?

The projections are that 100% vaccination should occur in Britain in about 18 months. This article relates to Scotland rather than England, I don't know what the projected timescale for 100% vaccine in England is. Health workers and the ill/vulnerable first. We won't get all of our vaccine order in one go, it will come in batches because of the global demand.

Swine flu: Scots will be forced to wait 1½ years for full vaccination - Scotsman.com News

I don't think we're ever going to see another election in this country.

The Civil Contingency Act will be swinging its way into action. Then the elite can impose martial law.

Then we'll get a World Government to sort this shit out. BLISS. Welcome to Eurasia.

As long as I'm classed as being in the elite then I'm in.

I work in a/e and someone came in with it, was funny hearing the conversations of who would go in to see them, they were one step away from drawing straws.

One of the lads in work was sneezing his head off yesterday and said he felt like shit, he was going to go to the drop-in clinic but said he'd come for a pint after work with us first, and I was like "Er, I'd go now if I was you, it gets really busy!"

I couldn't help it, it's probably some inbuilt sub-conscious thing to protect my health, or something.

Got my Tamiflu today.I am really feeling like shit.chest ,throat,fever,aches pains ect, the doc said on the phone they are treating everyone with above symptoms as having swineflu,I have never felt like this in the summer though and my missus has gone down to,so I guess I will have to take their advice.

Got my Tamiflu today.I am really feeling like shit.chest ,throat,fever,aches pains ect, the doc said on the phone they are treating everyone with above symptoms as having swineflu,I have never felt like this in the summer though and my missus has gone down to,so I guess I will have to take their advice.

Swine flu has officially hit the GF!

Hope you and the Mrs are well soon mate.

Swine flu has officially hit the GF!

Hope you and the Mrs are well soon mate.

I got a sore throat on Wednesday night, symptoms worsened, aching, horrendous headache, weakness, tight chest, shaking but no fever. So I phone the doc last night, he said he didn't think it was swine flu because I didn't have a raised temperature. Couldn't be arsed arguing with him as I felt too shit but swine flu often present with no fever http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/health/13fever.html I've got all the symptoms, more or less, except the fever.

I got a sore throat on Wednesday night, symptoms worsened, aching, horrendous headache, weakness, tight chest, shaking but no fever. So I phone the doc last night, he said he didn't think it was swine flu because I didn't have a raised temperature. Couldn't be arsed arguing with him as I felt too shit but swine flu often present with no fever http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/health/13fever.html I've got all the symptoms, more or less, except the fever.

Sorry Dirk but I'm with your physician on this, unless you can present me with solid medical evidence, BRAP still gets the honour of being the GF's first oinkmeister.

My mate told me this morning that he has wine flu.

Apparently he got it on Saturday morning, then it went away, then came back again on Sunday, went away again, and then it seized him in its vice-like grip again today.

Poor chap.

Tell him its called a hang over, fucking alkie:whistle:

• 7 months later...

Weeeelllllllllllll I think it's time for an evaluation of Swine Flu and an examination of it's credentials as the next Black Death. Let's face it, as many of us predicted Swine Flu has failed miserably, and far from pandemic has shown itself to be the andrexpuppydemic of supposedly mass killer diseases. Once again the press whipped up hysteria to incredible levels, and once agin when it turned out to be a non-event, instead of acknowledging their overreaction, the press have quietly pushed Swine Flue into the bottom drawer and pretended it didn't exist.

Next time, some balanced reporting eh? Some hope.