You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For all the bed pissing, piss walking, sleep talking etc when going to bed wankered, the most horrifying time was when my ex told me i'd fallen asleep with on my back with my knees bent. Nearly quit the drink there and then when she said that.. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke looks about ten years younger there than he does in his Facebook profile picture.

What's the secret, Gordon? Have you stumbled upon the fountain of youth?

I wish mate. On the piss again last night until 5am, two days on the lash and I've been dying all day, getting too old for this drinking lark. 

• 2 months later...

Alcohol is a stimulant.  When you are pissed, you are more passed out than asleep.

You're "asleep" but bits of your physicality are still stimulated and stimulating, fighting against the "sleep".

My psychologist suggested to me that sleeping pills act in a similar fashion - putting you to sleep, but not really.  Her view is that it's a reasonably insidious intention to hook people on them.

I thought alcohol was classed as a depressant? 

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/alcohol.html

Alcohol is a drug.

It is classed as a depressant, meaning that it slows down vital functions—resulting in slurred speech, unsteady movement, disturbed perceptions and an inability to react quickly.

As for how it affects the mind, it is best understood as a drug that reduces a person’s ability to think rationally and distorts his or her judgment.

Although classified as a depressant, the amount of alcohol consumed determines the type of effect. Most people drink for the stimulant effect, such as a beer or glass of wine taken to “loosen up.” But if a person consumes more than the body can handle, they then experience alcohol’s depressant effect. They start to feel “stupid” or lose coordination and control.

Found this interesting.

Guest Pistonbroke

The 'high' or 'buzz' from getting drunk is amazing. Pity it gives way to the messy pit of depression and anxiety after. Cunt drink.

I've been lucky in life, that I rarely suffered from a hangover, well not how others have experienced them. Then I turned 50 and things took a turn for the worse, especially after my heart problems. I kind of knocked the Jim Beam or drinking a shit load of beer/cider on the head. If I have a bottle of wine or two these days, I suffer like fuck the next morning. No wonder it is classed as a depression, a shit hangover really is depressing as fuck. 

Nobody has found themselves in a position, where natural drunken sleep, has just kind of stopped?

I always remember asking my auld fella (whilst worrying I was drinking too much) if he ever had trouble sleeping without a bevy. 'I've never tried' he replied truthfully.

I've since followed the same logic and there's part of my liver left to this day. 

On my hols last week sailing around the West coast of Scotland which, in my opinion, is the most beautiful coastline in the world

It also has whisky distilleries, lots of them

Went to one in Campbeltown on the Mull of Kintyre, called Springbank

It's like how you'd imagine a distillery should be like...hasn't been changed in 150 years and is thoroughly brilliant.

Got a bottle of Longrow from something called 'The Tasting Room' which is a single cask of 12 year old, 20 and 25 mixed up.

Normal whiskey is 40 proof; this is 58,,,I'm scared to open it as I suspect it might kill me or turn me blind at the very least

Might have to wait until a certain team in Red win the Champions League in 2018 for the 6th time

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...