You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Timewasting - how to stamp it out?

Jennings

I hate timewasting in football. It is denying the very purpose of the game.

These are the things I hate:-

- Rolling back into play when you are injured.

- Walking over to the referee to shake his hand when being substituted.

- The 'keeper taking the ball from one side of his six yard box to the other to delay his kick.

- Obstructing free kicks from being taken.

Feigning injury is a difficult one. My temptation is simply to say play around them. However this is impossible if it is the keeper. Or heaven forbid if the injury is serious.

Any sensible suggestions...actually forget 'sensible' - funny ones welcome too.

The corner flag. I hate it when any team takes the ball into the corner flag to waste time... even it was us.

Usually it happens in the 80th+ minute but I remember Sunderland using the tactic a few years ago when they earnt a draw out of us and they were doing it all the way through the second half when they got a chance.

Unsporting behavior wasting time by the corner flag IMO but many will say it's the right thing to do.

Ball boys at anfield to speed up play.....

An extra minute added time for every stop in play due to injury.....

The referee decides when there should be a stop in play, players should play on until the referee stops them.....

Yellow card any player that is stimulating, diving etc - to many get away with it.....

Make an injured player stay on the sidelines for 2 minutes before he is let back on......

Players like Drogba who rolls back onto the pitch should be f****** red carded(or at least a yellow).......

If it were up to me, there would be a panel watching the games afterwards and any team/coach who deliberately have tried or suceeded to influence/fool the referee should be deducted points..... (Now there goes Utd and Chelsea's hope of winning a competition......)

The corner flag. I hate it when any team takes the ball into the corner flag to waste time... even it was us.

Usually it happens in the 80th+ minute but I remember Sunderland using the tactic a few years ago when they earnt a draw out of us and they were doing it all the way through the second half when they got a chance.

Unsporting behavior wasting time by the corner flag IMO but many will say it's the right thing to do.

Should be freekick the other way as they are not playing the ball just fending/screening it, which in most cases is nothing short of obstruction...

Ball boys at anfield to speed up play.....

An extra minute added time for every stop in play due to injury.....

The referee decides when there should be a stop in play, players should play on until the referee stops them.....

Yellow card any player that is stimulating, diving etc - to many get away with it.....

Make an injured player stay on the sidelines for 2 minutes before he is let back on......

Players like Drogba who rolls back onto the pitch should be f****** red carded(or at least a yellow).......

If it were up to me, there would be a panel watching the games afterwards and any team/coach who deliberately have tried or suceeded to influence/fool the referee should be deducted points..... (Now there goes Utd and Chelsea's hope of winning a competition......)[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of a panel reviewing the game after it has been played. I think the panel should have the power to apply a yellow card to any player who is charged with timewasting. This yellow card should carry into the very next game in the same competition meaning that a player may start the game on a yellow card. This yellow card would also be added to their tally for the season...get to 5 and your banned for a game, 10 and you're banned for two.

If a player is charged with two counts of time wasting in a game, they would effectively receive two yellow cards and be banned for the next game.

Very hard to convict a person of time wasting though.

Irrespective of the above the Permier League should bring in a rule that Drogba starts each game on a yellow card.

Irrespective of the above the Permier League should bring in a rule that Drogba starts each game on a yellow card.

They should hand them out retrospectively too, which would basically ban Drogba for life!

Add one minute per timewasting incident. I'd love to see a game go to 100 minutes to stop that shit.

Rolling back into play when you're injured should be booked (the Drogba rule) and the one I really hate; the throw in where they "suddenly" find out someone else needs to take it after a while.

Even when Kewell and Nunez ran the ball down the corners for the last few minutes to help keep the ball and get us to Istanbul?

why don't they do what they do in other sports where they stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play? It wouldn't be the ref's job, it would be done by an extra official. Every game would be exactly 90 minutes then.

They would probably be more like 3 hours.

I think the only real way to stop it is for the FA to step in.

I know they wont but there should be some sort of panel that can award Yellow/Red card after a game has taken place for PERSISTANT time wasting. I am not saying if say Drogba wastes time and we lose he is booked, but if he Persists and it happens on more that 3/4 occasions over the season and it is a delibarate waste of time then a player should be booked.

I know its raising the debate of a Panal as we have probebly spoke about this before but IMO its the only way.

It may be possible that this is the same panel that looks at other things in games like Goals/Fouls etc etc

The physio should be allowed on the pitch to treat injured players without play stopping. The injured player and physio are deemed not to be interferring with play when the game is still going on. Once treated, the 'injured' player cannot move from the position he received treatment or re join play in any way until the ref signals its ok to do so.

Obstructing a player getting to the ball ie sheperding the ball out for a goal kick, throw in etc should have a direct free kick awarded against the offending player.

Players not retreating 10 yards immediately at a free kick should be made to leave the pitch for 5 minutes.

But most radically, timekeeping to be taken off the ref and given to a timekeeper in the stand. Then, instead of playing for 90 minutes, the game will continue until the ball has been in play for not less than 75 minutes (currently its in play for about 40 minutes during a 90 minute game I think). This could well result in one 'half' of the game being longer than the other but so what?

Taken from "The Italian Job", a book by Gianluca Vialli & Gabrielle Marcotti which i am reading at the moment, i deffinatley recomend it, very intresting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next suggestion is somewhat more contreversial. I would like the clock to stop whenever the ball is not in play, as it does in basketball or ice-hockey. This would have two immeadiate effects : first, it would help eliminate time wasting - there would be no point in rolling around feigning an injury or taking forever for a goal kick as the clock would only start once the ball is in play. It is amazing how little football is actually played over the ninety minutes. At the 1990 World Cuo the ball was in play on average for 52 minutes, and in some games it was as low as 45 minutes. Today the average is about 55 minutes. FIFA have urged referee's to grant more injury time, but if the ball is in play for only 55 minutes, you cant expect an official to grant and additional 35 of injury time can you?

I think the answer is to have 2 30 minute halves and stop the clock every time the play is interupted by the referees whistle. FIFA have said that the game shoud strive to keep the ball in play for 60 minutes and i agree. Overall, matches would not be any longer, and might even be shorter because there would be less time wasting and gamesmanship. And there would be more action. The idea has lurked in the background for some years, but now its time to take it seriousley. It would change neither the nature nor the fabric of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of a couple of intresing ideas of changes that could improve the game, heres a brief summary of the others :

Having refs all centrally based where they work similar to players with set training routines etc. they would be randomley allocated to which games they officiate over on the day or day before the game then travel to the game.

Changing the offside rule so it only applies in the final third of the pitch, in theory stretching the game out as it forces teams to defend deeper due to attackers remaining onside up to this point thus opening up the middle of the pitch for technically gifted players to have more influence. Also it should make a linesmans job a little easier as he has less space to keep an eye on when making an offside call.

Introducing technology to help the refs, sensors that go off when the ball crosses the lines and the ability for each team to challenge one of the referees decisions to be reviewed by him on a video replay (once each per half)

Any thoughts/opinions on these ideas?

Have the ball boys dressed as giant comedy digital watches, preferably one of those 80s Casio ones with the databank feature and allow them to kick players who waste more than 5 seconds per incident. They can store the names of the worst offenders in the watches databank (which will take them about 10 minutes to input if it's one of those Johnny Foreigner players with a complicated surname) and at the end of every month the worst offenders get fed to a 3-legged zebra with PMT.