You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Howard Webb

RobbieOR

• 2 months later...

Well everyone is talking about journos as if they are a different breed but you know, instead of moaning about how none of them are doing anything about this perceived corruption you could do something about it yourself. I know people who are freelance journalists who have had stuff printed by the Guardian on a regular basis because of the quality of the reporting. I suspect foul play myself but when you really start to think about how to gather evidence and get proof of systematic corruption/ unspoken power control of refs careers, Asian betting syndicates, Billions of tv pounds controled by unlicensed agents etc, well, basically, where do you fucking start?/ Because for practical reasons I could do with some help. If no other fucker is going to try I am tempted to start.

nailed on to be down a man before HT

I can see it being Luis. Two yellows, one for dissent and one for diving. Not sure which order.

To be made especially more galling by having to watch them cunts up to their usual tricks like surrounding the ref and diving like olympians with little or no contact.

/optimism.

We should leak it that we're considering pulling out of the game. When the hysteria reaches a sufficient level, we should then deny it, but point out that Webb's record raises serious concerns within Anfield.

We will win or lose on the quality of our display. Getting in excuses in advance is small time and unnecessary.

We have enough to win this, whoever is refereeing.

We will win or lose on the quality of our display. Getting in excuses in advance is small time and unnecessary.

That's nice and everything, but I live in the actual world, where big decisions like red cards and penalties, or their denial, change the momentum and outcome of matches.

Ah you know something, you're right.

Because we are never robbed by Webb, we are never robbed by any ref when we play the faux mancs, and everyone, including a large bookmakers, knows it.

Don't get on your high horse and pretend it doesn't happen because it does.

But then we look back at the home game in September and somehow your argument falls apart quite dramatically.

I agree that 99.9% of the time you are right and a team wins on how they themselves perform. But history tells us that referees get very intimidated by Ferguson and it is in black and white that upsetting him can have a detrimental effect on the profile of games you are given by the FA. If a referee takes an extra second over a decision he is about to give against Man Utd due to a few extra thoughts of what the decision could mean for him going through his head, then the moment will be lost and the game will be played on.

I don’t go in for all major conspiracy stuff about cash changing hands and all that, but I can’t see how anyone can still say that Ferguson’s vocal outburst, with the help of laccys in the press, does not exert considerable pressure over the FA and referees that has seen them get way more favourable decisions and decisions not given against them then any other team.

Howard Webb is a very good referee despite what many saw. However, he likes the limelight and sees himself as a bit of a superstar. I'd imagine he seems himself as the next Colina. By (possibly unwittingly) leaning more towards Man Utd in the decisions he gives (both key and normal) this will result in Ferguson talking him up. Something Ferguson does regularly, and this, in turn, results in higher profile games for Webb. Does anyone not think that Ferguson played a hand in Webb being the only referee ever to ref a European Cup Final and a World Cup Final in the same year? And I’ll bet you Ferguson has been pretty quick to remind him of that on many occasions.

I don’t think there’s outright cheating by refs to benefit Man Utd, but I do think there is a leaning that has seen certain incidents slip by, and certain non-incidents punished for the opposition.

I don’t think there’s outright cheating by refs to benefit Man Utd, but I do think there is a leaning that has seen certain incidents slip by, and certain non-incidents punished for the opposition.

Good post.

Just on the last part though; does this not really point out cheating? It may be seen as turning a blind eye but under the hood it's laid bare as cheating in my book.

Good post.

Just on the last part though; does this not really point out cheating? It may be seen as turning a blind eye but under the hood it's laid bare as cheating in my book.

I understand what you are saying, but I don’t think it’s pre-planned. I think it’s done instinctively. I also think that on occasion a decision may not be given out of fear of where he’ll be reffing next week if he gives a questionable decision that benefits the other team. Because of this the referee then errs on the side of caution and doesn’t give it, where he wouldn’t hesitate to give it the other way. I don’t think there’s outright cheating, I just think there is a certain amount of extra pressure on a ref when involved in a Man Utd game that means they will think twice before giving a questionable decision against them, but not hesitate to give something for them. The home game for us against the Mancs earlier this season is the perfect example. Evan’s tackle was actually worse then Shelveys, but Shelvey was punted. Their penalty was very borderline, but they were awarded it. Our penalty was also a not 100% clear-cut at normal speed with only one viewing but it was a lot clearer then theirs, yet we weren’t given it.

I think black and white decisions will be given both for and against when the ref sees them, but questionable ones won’t.

Does anyone not think that Ferguson played a hand in Webb being the only referee ever to ref a European Cup Final and a World Cup Final in the same year?

How do you think Ferguson played a hand in Webb being appointed for these games, Johnny? Do you think he has an influence over FIFA and UEFA as well? Or I have got the wrong end of the stick there?

The Ferguson intimidation doesnt even come in to for me, its the links he's got to the South Yorkshire police that are the problem. A couple of thousand fans will be calling former co workers of his murderers and he's meant to not have a conflict of interests. How the the fuck can he not have one there?

I understand what you are saying, but I don’t think it’s pre-planned. I think it’s done instinctively. I also think that on occasion a decision may not be given out of fear of where he’ll be reffing next week if he gives a questionable decision that benefits the other team. Because of this the referee then errs on the side of caution and doesn’t give it, where he wouldn’t hesitate to give it the other way. I don’t think there’s outright cheating, I just think there is a certain amount of extra pressure on a ref when involved in a Man Utd game that means they will think twice before giving a questionable decision against them, but not hesitate to give something for them. The home game for us against the Mancs earlier this season is the perfect example. Evan’s tackle was actually worse then Shelveys, but Shelvey was punted. Their penalty was very borderline, but they were awarded it. Our penalty was also a not 100% clear-cut at normal speed with only one viewing but it was a lot clearer then theirs, yet we weren’t given it.

I think black and white decisions will be given both for and against when the ref sees them, but questionable ones won’t.

I agree with this, I don't believe there's a conspiracy that needs to be exposed. It really is plain and simple bullying, several referee's have referred to this. Ferguson has gone largely unchecked by the FA for 25 years, clearly when he explodes the FA respond. He clearly has an unhealthy influence. On the day most referee's just question themselves for every decision involving the mancs and we see the consequences.

How do you think Ferguson played a hand in Webb being appointed for these games, Johnny? Do you think he has an influence over FIFA and UEFA as well? Or I have got the wrong end of the stick there?

No, not outright. But I think UEFA and FIFA will listen and take on comments from managers and people with sway in world football. Whether or not Fergusons praise for Webb helped in him getting those gigs, you can be damn sure he'll have congratulated Webb on getting them while also telling him that he recommended him highly to UEFA and FIFA. and it was only right he got those matches, etc, etc.

Ferguson plays his hand very very well.

JohnnyH talking a lot of sense I think.

Now there's a sentence I rarely ever have to type.

I like to surprise you at the start of every year Dave, and then just head back to shit jokes and support for the brilliance of Aquilani for the remaining 11½ months of it.