You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Howard Webb

RobbieOR

You're answering something I've not suggested. I'm not implying the press themselves lost Kenny his job, though the difference between he and Rodgers' respective natural approach to the media is unlikely to be a coincidence from the perspective of our PR savvy US owners. Irrespective of semantics or reasons why, it would not be credible to deny he was simply not interested in furthering many of their questions and played them with a straight bat - he rarely if ever intentionally gave them the angle they were looking for.

I'm also certain they loved having him back, but that's no guarantee of him receiving a good press. They love having Suarez here as well as he's a regular source of output, but those sales you mention come steadily from submitting critical copy and easy sensationalism. What is more difficult, is facing up to the person very few want to have a pop at, as has been well illustrated in the non-football world with the recent Savile expose. Far easier to join the herd than to isolate yourself against a powerful and intimidating figure, where they may be repercussions for yourself and your career.

On para one, I would say fair comment, in front of a camera you get Mr Taciturn, in front of a Dictaphone and a pint you get Mr Engaging.

I disagree with your analysis of KK’s attraction to the media. You do a huge disservice to KK’s achievements and the interest that there is in the man who achieved them. There are more than enough straw men for the press to shred for amusement. The media were very kind to a man who gave them good written copy, were incredibly generous in their assessment of the Carroll debacle and subsequent signings, gave him the benefit of the doubt on the Suarez affair, and held their fire as his tail end of season interviews disintegrated.

I can tell you emphatically that KK’s credibility was valued by the press, he didn’t always get it right, but he was always worth listening to.

On para one, I would say fair comment, in front of a camera you get Mr Taciturn, in front of a Dictaphone and a pint you get Mr Engaging.

I disagree with your analysis of KK’s attraction to the media. You do a huge disservice to KK’s achievements and the interest that there is in the man who achieved them. There are more than enough straw men for the press to shred for amusement. The media were very kind to a man who gave them good written copy, were incredibly generous in their assessment of the Carroll debacle and subsequent signings, gave him the benefit of the doubt on the Suarez affair, and held their fire as his tail end of season interviews disintegrated.

I can tell you emphatically that KK’s credibility was valued by the press, he didn’t always get it right, but he was always worth listening to.

Could there be another reason Kenny uses this stock approach when representing the club in the media, versus the one Ferguson very obviously employs as a tactic? Something that says a lot about the history of LFC and why he'll always be part of it's soul? The name of this forum may be a clue, perhaps?!

Regards the second bit about me doing Dalglish a disservice, I truly can't be fucked to answer that, having let out a sigh when I read it. You seem to be intent on finding something daft to debate in every reply and seeing things which aren't there. If your other half ever hands you a card with a Kennel Club Certificate in it along with a partially wrapped dog shaped item, shedding fur and with lots of woofing coming from inside, they'll be mightily depressed when you ask if it's that jacket you've been after, with eyes full of hope and excitement.

I fully grasp the notion of referees bending to public opinion and therefore keeping their job and their handsome salary. I hate the truth that it exposes, but I understand human nature.

But in the case of Howard Webb, I think he's now at a stage of Level 2 cuntery.

This is because I think he COULD stand up to Ferguson now, IF he wanted. He's got a huge status in this country now in terms of football, he's our answer to Pierluigi Collina. Ferguson could not end Webb's career, he could not get him demoted, I think Webb is bigger than that now. And so this is why I think he's an even bigger cunt to kow-tow to the United dynasty.

People will say, "Collina?, Fuck off, he was way better than Webb!".

How do you know? All we saw was a brief highlights package of World Cup games and key Champions League ties, we didnt see his bread-and-butter games in the Italian league on a regular basis, he could have been just as biased as Webb but towards Juventus or AC Milan. There is this anecdotal evidence that Collina was an immense figure of justice, but I honestly couldn't vouch for him, I just followed the party line. But Collina is the example because he also became this cult figure, he was too big to be undermined by a manager.

I fully grasp the notion of referees bending to public opinion and therefore keeping their job and their handsome salary. I hate the truth that it exposes, but I understand human nature.

But in the case of Howard Webb, I think he's now at a stage of Level 2 cuntery.

This is because I think he COULD stand up to Ferguson now, IF he wanted. He's got a huge status in this country now in terms of football, he's our answer to Pierluigi Collina. Ferguson could not end Webb's career, he could not get him demoted, I think Webb is bigger than that now. And so this is why I think he's an even bigger cunt to kow-tow to the United dynasty.

People will say, "Collina?, Fuck off, he was way better than Webb!".

How do you know? All we saw was a brief highlights package of World Cup games and key Champions League ties, we didnt see his bread-and-butter games in the Italian league on a regular basis, he could have been just as biased as Webb but towards Juventus or AC Milan. There is this anecdotal evidence that Collina was an immense figure of justice, but I honestly couldn't vouch for him, I just followed the party line. But Collina is the example because he also became this cult figure, he was too big to be undermined by a manager.

Webb is nothing like Collina in terms of stature, he had a couple of seasons where he was usually a decent ref (aside from games involving either us or the mancs) then afterwards has gone as shit as the rest of them, no manager would have second thoughts about having a go as he is Howard Webb

Was going to put this in the match thread, but seeing as this is Webb's own thread.......

I though he was actually pretty fair against Man Utd. I think he was actually trying very hard and going out of his way to not show his perceived bias.

Maybe all the media spotlight on his appointment for this game had some effect?

Was going to put this in the match thread, but seeing as this is Webb's own thread.......

I though he was actually pretty fair against Man Utd. I think he was actually trying very hard and going out of his way to not show his perceived bias.

He was fine on Sunday. With Downing in the side Taggart didn't need Webb

Definitely... No question about it.

The way we performed in the first half made it easy for Webb to be "fair". Must have upset ferguson when he had an opportunity to send Skrtel off and didn't, but made up for it by allowing the 2nd goal which could have been given as off-side. Had we scored it I bet it would have been. Would love it if one day Webb gave the reds a controversial decision against the mancs that won us the game just to see the media fall-out.

thought about this the other day, reckon webby was the dungs worst player....

Anybody thinking that their 2nd goal should have been called offside has obviously never heard of the attacking team getting the benefit of any doubt, which I am fine with. It was so marginal, you couldn't expect a linesman to see through a congested 6-yard box, nor Webb to pick it.

Anybody thinking that their 2nd goal should have been called offside has obviously never heard of the attacking team getting the benefit of any doubt, which I am fine with. It was so marginal, you couldn't expect a linesman to see through a congested 6-yard box, nor Webb to pick it.

Except they almost never give the attacking team benefit of the doubt.

You're absolutely right. But wouldn't it be nice to see us getting the benefit of the doubt occasionally? I refer you to decisions at Goodison and Swansea, and two at home to Sunderland recently when Johnson was about 5 millimetres offside and then Downing was probably as much as 5 centimetres offside, denying Suso and then Allen their first Liverpool goals. Pity the same eagle-eyed lino wasn't on duty at OT on Sunday.

Anybody thinking that their 2nd goal should have been called offside has obviously never heard of the attacking team getting the benefit of any doubt' date=' which I am fine with. It was so marginal, you couldn't expect a linesman to see through a congested 6-yard box, nor Webb to pick it.[/quote']

Like Enrique's disallowed goal then? Oh no, they disallowed that because his finger was offside.