You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough + Radio 1

Wor Horse

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this from the BBC:

Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'Newsbeat' broadcast on the 20 April.

During Steve Blears' report on the possible release of documents relating to the Hillsborough disaster, he incorrectly stated that an official inquiry had blamed supporters' behaviour for overcrowding at the stadium.

We sincerely apologise for both the reporter's error and for the fact that it was not picked up on by the duty editor prior to broadcast. The editor of Newsbeat has been made aware of the error and offers assurances that it will not be repeated.

The following correction was made during 'Newsbeat' at 12.45pm on 21 April and appears on the programme's website:

"Yesterday on Newsbeat we broadcast an item on the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 people were killed. We said an official report blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day. This was wrong and we would like to apologise to listeners offended by our report and for this error."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_8010000/8010123.stm

Regards

Radio 1 Newsbeat

And then this off Helen Boaden:

Dear **** *****

Thank you for your email and we are very sorry indeed that this serious mistake was made. This on air apology was broadcast on today's Newsbeat at 1245 and is also on the website:

"Yesterday on Newsbeat we broadcast an item on the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 people were killed. We said an official report blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day. This was WRONG and we would like to apologise to listeners offended by our report and for this error."

Thank you for taking the trouble to write in.

Yours sincerely

Helen Boaden

Director, BBC News

Even if it is a shitty little apology a 12 year old could write, they still apologised as soon as they knew of the mistake. They could have put more info on the website though, e.g. who was actually to blame.

Absolutely unforgiveable what Steve Blears did. This was no mistake: after all the publicity that The Taylor Report received it defies credibility that a person working in the news media would be unaware of that report's conclusions. Particularly so given the amount of interest generated by the twentieth anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy. Blears is a cunt, and the BBC are cunts for not disciplining the Milltown twat.

It's so fucking unreal and pathetic that it must have been someone involved in getting that aired being a manc fan/anti liverpool twat and just taking the piss. Awful stuff. Even the apology is shortly worded and almost half arsed, even though they've at least made one.

Bastards.

Sent to Radio 4 "Feedback":

I refer to the following "apology": BBC - Newsbeat

Perhaps you could explain how such a news item ("We said an official report blamed Liverpool supporters for too many fans getting into one part of the stadium that day") could have been broadcast in the first place?

Who made the decision to broadcast this and on what evidence?

The BBC had provided generally excellent, informative and sensitive coverage of the Hillsborough disaster, so I am at a loss to understand how this "news" item could have come about.

Perhaps you can explain?

Well at least they offered a proper retraction.

No. They didn't. They just said they were wrong and 'sorry.' They didn't issue the right facts.

This is like saying "The man who shot JFK is John Smith." Then issuing an apology the next day without actually telling us it was Lee Harvey Oswald*

*Conspiracy theorists acknowledged.

Did you send that mate?

Yeah.

Well not the "." obviously, but the email I put in quotes, I did yeah.

Just to clarify:

Dear Sir,

Regarding your apology concerning your disgraceful show of poor research and journalism in yesterday's Hillsborough story, how about actually publishing a couple of lines about the results of the Taylor Report and its findings?

You are there to do a job for the public who pay you. I suggest you do that by setting the facts straight and educating the particular demographic who listen to your "news" reports as opposed to issuing some three line apology.

Regards,

I'm pleased they've acknowledged their mistake quickly, though I feel they could have gone into a bit more detail about why what they said was wrong.

But Radio 1 has a huge number of listeners (Despite the fact it's shite) and they can't afford to be making mistakes like this. By the time they apologise, the damage is already done.

I was really pleased with how the BBC dealt with the 20th anniversary. They devoted a lot of time to it on tv and radio, and also on the BBC website. And then they go and put a huge dent in all that by reporting this.

As Jim Royle once said, I'm glad I don't pay my licence fee*

*I actually do so fuck you Mr TV Licence detector man.

I got this from the BBC:

And then this off Helen Boaden:

Even if it is a shitty little apology a 12 year old could write, they still apologised as soon as they knew of the mistake. They could have put more info on the website though, e.g. who was actually to blame.

I got the same shitty response. As part of their apology, I demanded they mention the part of the Taylor report that blamed the police for the disaster. They didn't. Aren't the BBC supposed to be impartial? Seems like they didn't want to upset the politicians/police. Cunts.

As part of their apology, I demanded they mention the part of the Taylor report that blamed the police for the disaster. They didn't.

It because they're fucking bastards. Honestly the more time goes on the more they seem corrupt as fuck, and less different than the blatantly corrupt scum like Fox or Sky news, etc. So many other newscasters are obviously worse, but BBC is like the person you think is ok, but really in the back of your head you know that they're a total cunt.

They'd have probably been horrified at the thought of having to add the correct version from the Taylor report.

I think it's essential that a 'news' program such as this; one that relies so heavily on soundbites gets their facts right.

With all due respect to their listenership, they are not taking in a lot of detail where they are expected to formulate their own opinions on subjects. They are not given a lot of details. They are just given the black and white... and if that black and white is wrong it can have a huge influence on perceptions.

Perceptions of about 10,000,000 people!

Guest ShoePiss

That wasn't a mistake, there's no way it could be, especially since there's been so much coverage of the terrible event recently.

The damage has been done and the apology doesn't make up for it. Disgraceful.

The Beeb is the biggest, most highly regarged news organisation in the world.

It made a fuck up & a lot of good Reds complained.

They then apologied & corrected immediatedly.

Tomorrow will see a huge amount of vastly inferior news organisations point the error out.

Daily Mail & hypocritically the S**, I'm looking at you.

Neither of which can wipe the Beeb's arse on this or any other issue.

(& the complaints letters were brilliantly wrote & got the right response so well done everyone on that)

The Beeb is the biggest, most highly regarged news organisation in the world.

Since when?

Highly regarded news agencies don't make such glaring errors, nor do they hire snakes like Mckenzie, while charging us for the priviledge.

Since when?

Highly regarded news agencies don't make such glaring errors, nor do they hire snakes like Mckenzie, while charging us for the priviledge.

Thru out the world the BBC is looked upon as the definitive,impartial news service

Also, within that, they should have people like McKenzice on opinion shows as long as they have the opposite view on as well.

If our case is right (as it is due to the Taylor report et al) then we will win.

As we are doing now when the facts are laid out

I do not want him banned

I want his views debated & destroyed.

I would rather have cunts i hate such as McKennzice on the airways, on our money, than any form of censorship.....