You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough + Radio 1

Wor Horse

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in complete shock that thats happened, after the fantastic week we had leading up to and during the Anniversary aswell and the plaudits we all gave the press for their mass coverage. I complained obviously, sent them this:

I cannot quite put into words the shock and saddness I felt to hear a news report stating that the Death of the beloved 96 at Hillsborugh was identified in the offical report as caused by the fans. We have campaigned for 20 years to dispell this horrible sickening myth and it has now been so flippantly thrown into a news article on what is supposedly a reputable establishment. It an error of such monumental proportions I cannot at this moment in time see how any public apology can compensate for it. I and many millions of others are physically sickened at what you have done.

I just sent this.

It staggered me to hear Newsbeat attribute the blame of the Hillsborough disaster to the behaviour of Liverpool fans, whilst citing the Taylor Report as evidence. The tragic loss of 96 lives at Hillsborough did not result from the behaviour of Liverpool fans on that day. Moreover, the Taylor Report makes no such reference to Liverpool fans being responsible for the horrendous loss of life. In fact, the Taylor Report praises the behaviour of Liverpool fans in assisting ambulance staff and medics, as well as exonerates them of blame. To know that my licence fee is paying to support this absolutely sickening nonsense angers me greatly.

Dear Sirs,

I am writing in reference to the unforgiveable broadcasting of wholely untrue and hurtful commentary during your Newsbeat programme on 20/04/09.

It was reported that "An official enquiry blamed supporters behaviour for too many fans getting into one end of the stadium..." The official enquiry, i.e. The Taylor report, makes it clear that the disasters primary cause was a failure of police control.

As the national broadcaster of the UK, I find it absoultely repulsive that the BBC could allow such a mistruth to be broadcast. It is afterall the licence payers who fund your broadcasting, the same licence payer would expect honest and truthful reporting as a basic prerequisite rather than the mudslinging reported yesterday.

The BBC should issue an unequivocal apology to the families of those killed in this tragedy, and shoud do so without delay.

Yours Sincerely,

Just sent.

Just sent.

It's not just the families of the victims they should be sorry to, it's the other fans that were there that day aswell. I know people that were on the terraces, and they are being directly blamed for 96 lives being lost as they were by the papers 20 years ago? I thought we'd moved forward.

It's not just the families of the victims they should be sorry to, it's the other fans that were there that day aswell. I know people that were on the terraces, and they are being directly blamed for 96 lives being lost as they were by the papers 20 years ago? I thought we'd moved forward.

They are also adding to the already muddied water of what happened that day. Families lost loved ones and they should receive apologies when the national broadcaster issues mistruths about how they died. I agree that the others who where there that day also deserve an apology but the families have suffered enough and dont deserve any more bullshit journalism surrounding it.

just sent this to Jo Whiley seeing as she wanted to know what 'random thoughts were going round my head this morning'

Hi,

disappointment that despite all the credible information now in the public domain about the Hillsborough disaster, and the largely accurate coverage given by the BBC over the last 10 days, Newsbeat yesterday could still make the statement that

"An official enquiry blamed supporters behaviour for too many fans getting into one end of the stadium..."

No such official conclusion exists. If anything the supporters' behaviour on that day is officially credited with saving lives in the absence of effective action by the emergency services. Newsbeat's shocking failure to get its facts right does the BBC no credit, the dead bereaved and traumatised no justice whatsoever and serves to endorse the prejudiced views of the mailicious and ignorant, over 20 years after the event.

What am I to believe? That a national media smear campaign continues to this day? Please let me know.

Just so YOU know, I was there that day with a ticket and without having had a drink. I was one of the first 20-30 fans admitted by stadium staff through exit gate C onto the Leppings Lane terrace at 2.50 pm. I feel therefore I can talk on the subject with some authority and an accuracy so sadly missing from yesterday's report.

Should you wish to examine the real truth please have a look at The Hillsborough Football Disaster: Context & Consequences or Professor Phil Scraton's book 'Hillsborough The Truth' 20th anniversary edition.

Any chance we can have a public retraction / apology in Newsbeat's 1pm slot? I look forward to hearing from you.

... wont be holding me breath like :no

They are also adding to the already muddied water of what happened that day. Families lost loved ones and they should receive apologies when the national broadcaster issues mistruths about how they died. I agree that the others who where there that day also deserve an apology but the families have suffered enough and dont deserve any more bullshit journalism surrounding it.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding a bit more on the end. Comments like the ones they have made could hurt thousands of people.

Complaint sent.

The only way to explode the myth about the fans is to call on factual evidence of a similar situation, where Fans played no part in the problem.

This of course happened in 81, when Spurs went to their Fa semi. A crush started in the middle pens and disaster and lives were saved by the police closing the entrances to the middle pens. Hillsborough was removed from the list of suitable venues after that for 7 years.

This should be a main plank of the Hillsboro justice campaign and any inquiry should take this into account as it set a precedent, a disaster nearly happened before, but didnt, due to different policing.

I'd like to say I'm shocked, but nothing surprises me with the BBC anymore. I'm inclined to believe it was done on purpose. Aren't they situated in Manchester these days?

If it was ITV 15 years ago and it was about Munich would you be saying "Aren't they situated in Liverpool?"

Not all mancs are twats, believe it or not. Most of them are decent (if inbred) people, who hate people who laugh at hillsborough just as much as we hate people singing and laughing at Munich. I'd retract that if I were you.