You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

YOU are the ref - question for ya.

ChrisA

Aren't all obstruction and minor fouls supposed to be awarded an indirect free kick?

They appear to all be direct or straight pennos these days...

Saying that, we always seem to take them indirectly anyway, with someone rolling it 3 and a half inches to Gerrard, allowing the wall to charge it down in 99 times out of 100.

I was playing in a Cup Semi Final at about U11's once.

One of their players went down injured so they kicked the ball out so he could receive treatment.

We threw it back and their dumb ass centre half wasn't paying attention, picked the ball up inside the box and threw it back to our thrower.

Their ref gave the pen and all their parents went mad about it. Not sure why, we didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, my mate skyed the pen. We still won 3-1.

Aren't all obstruction and minor fouls supposed to be awarded an indirect free kick?

They appear to all be direct or straight pennos these days...

Saying that, we always seem to take them indirectly anyway, with someone rolling it 3 and a half inches to Gerrard, allowing the wall to charge it down in 99 times out of 100.

Obstruction is classed as a technical foul. Things like unsportsmanlike behaviour, bending the laws of the game and in this instance falling over to put an opponent off a shot should be given as an indirect freekick. They are given when no specific foul against a player has been committed.

Minor fouls against an opponent or handball are given as direct free kicks.

I did a refs course years ago and I can't remember the exact wording, so I tried to explain as best I can.

The other thing that grates with me and it happens a lot when you watch football on TV is 'handballs'. The laws state that it has to be deliberate. That part of the law seems to be missed a lot by Sky TV...

No pen the fact you say that he shot and missed means that he had given an advantage and allowed play to go on

The real answer though is it doesnt matter

This was an under 10s game ffs the fact that there was a rumpus over it tells you everything that is wrong in football today

The Ref makes a decision and that is that, right or wrong that is that, his decision is final and that is the lesson that those on the sidelines should be inparting onto the Kids

Repped for seeing the bigger picture. I agree with this. I watched my cousins U11 game and the manager accused the ref of being racist because his half-cast centre forward did not get a free-kick and then the other manager called him some racist names.

I was playing in a Cup Semi Final at about U11's once.

One of their players went down injured so they kicked the ball out so he could receive treatment.

We threw it back and their dumb ass centre half wasn't paying attention, picked the ball up inside the box and threw it back to our thrower.

Their ref gave the pen and all their parents went mad about it. Not sure why, we didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, my mate skyed the pen. We still won 3-1.

Something similar happened to me before. We had a corner and as it was taken their centreback tripped up and got trampled on by another player and the ball was kicked out so he could recieve treatment. The ref gave us an in-direct free-kick just inside the box where he fell down. Their players said they should kick the ball back to us but the ref ignored it, we scored and then their manager argued so the ref dis-allowed the goal and said they had to kick the ball back to our keeper. Strange?

No pen the fact you say that he shot and missed means that he had given an advantage and allowed play to go on

The real answer though is it doesnt matter

This was an under 10s game ffs the fact that there was a rumpus over it tells you everything that is wrong in football today

The Ref makes a decision and that is that, right or wrong that is that, his decision is final and that is the lesson that those on the sidelines should be inparting onto the Kids

As a ref i felt I ought to come to this thread and give my tuppenerth worth when I saw the title and Bobs post above most represents my view.

This ringing up another ref in a match tho sounds incredible - totally wrong. In our Refrees Assocaition there is a man called Frangcon Roberts who is an assessor now and used to be a top ref (Division 1 in the 80s and early 90s - ie what is now the PL!!) and there is always a section of our meeting when he answers queries when we tell him what happened in our games and ask for his comments. Much of his advice is good but often he hedges his bets and is non commital as cos he was not there he cannot say for sure what the right decision should have been and any ref rung in those circumstances imo could only say the same thing.

Whatever happened to indirect free kicks in the area by the way????

I can't remember the last time I saw one. Must be at least 10 years plus!!

Shocking admission coming up - I am not sure what the law is on this now and I am a ref!! tho I mainly do lines these days he says trying to defend himself!!

But I have seen penatlies awarded twice in recent weeks when a forward has been kicked in the head by a high boot (Northwich V Rushden and Diamonds which I saw 'live' and then Howard Webb in the AVFC V Everton game I think). Made me wonder if such a thing as indirect free kick for 'foot up' still exists and yesterday I specifically watched when a free kick was given for this (in the middle of the pitch) whether Mike Riley raised his arm when it was taken to indicate 'indirect' or not. He didn't so maybe all free kicks are direct now (altho just cos MR did it does not mean it was right!!)

Would like clarification on this really - anyone any idea?

My lad plays for an under 11s team and the matches are reffed by junior players 15-16 years old. there are plenty of odd decisions, but we accept that as part of the game. We train our lads to accept dodgy decisions and get on with the game. What i have heard of english kids football does not make me wish that we were playing there instead.

MUCH better way of doing things

• 9 years later...