You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking through Fergie's first few years with them

86/87 - 11th (30 points behind champions)

87/88 - 2nd (9 points behind)

88/89 - 11th (25 points behind)

89/90 - 13th (31 points behind)

90/91 - 6th (24 points behind)

just goes to show how lucky he was to keep the job. I knew he was poor in those years, just didn't realise how poor.

Fuckin unbelievable!!!

Can't hold a candle to Paisley,Sky and the press don't tell us that,do they!

Guess they won't be getting any points at OT at this rate.

I'm not so sure. If there is one game you can guarantee they can defy expectation it's the Manchester derby. And they need all the points they can get to try and push for 7th.

Mark Hughes IS out of his depth. He has taken what was arguably a better squad than Sven's last season and turned them into lower midtable mediocrity. That's all the proof you need on that front.

So all the second guessing behind the scenes and in the media isn't relevant? Come off it Dan - how can any manager expect to do his job properly with all that shit going on? He's being forced to work with with his back against the wall and no-one can achieve their best like that.

So all the second guessing behind the scenes and in the media isn't relevant? Come off it Dan - how can any manager expect to do his job properly with all that shit going on? He's being forced to work with with his back against the wall and no-one can achieve their best like that.

Inherited Erikson's team, spent £70m and took it backwards..... simple maths Paul. The politics etc comes with the territory. Mourinho didn't seem to have a problem working with egos.

Inherited Erikson's team, spent £70m and took it backwards..... simple maths Paul. The politics etc comes with the territory. Mourinho didn't seem to have a problem working with egos.

It's got nothing to do with working with egos; it's to do with the very issue that led to Mourinho's departure from Chelsea - is the manager in charge or not? In my opinion, you cannot judge a football manager properly unless he is given as good as (proviso included for the pedants among us) complete control over the football affairs of the club. To suggest that working with players being bought over the manager's head and with little or no consultation is a fair assessment of his abilities seems bizarre to me.

This is the issue that Rafa (rightly, in my view) fought for during his recent contract negotiations. The man at the helm must be given the tools to do the job. The simple fact of the matter is that Mark Hughes hasn't been. I'm not trying to say that he's the greatest manager in the world or even that he could go on and become a great success at City. I'm just saying that the circumstances in which he's been forced to work make a fair assessment impossible.

It's got nothing to do with working with egos; it's to do with the very issue that led to Mourinho's departure from Chelsea - is the manager in charge or not? In my opinion, you cannot judge a football manager properly unless he is given as good as (proviso included for the pedants among us) complete control over the football affairs of the club. To suggest that working with players being bought over the manager's head and with little or no consultation is a fair assessment of his abilities seems bizarre to me.

This is the issue that Rafa (rightly, in my view) fought for during his recent contract negotiations. The man at the helm must be given the tools to do the job. The simple fact of the matter is that Mark Hughes hasn't been. I'm not trying to say that he's the greatest manager in the world or even that he could go on and become a great success at City. I'm just saying that the circumstances in which he's been forced to work make a fair assessment impossible.

There is a lot of truth in that but it happens at a lot of clubs.

We can still judge Hughes due to

i) His previous jobs. Bburn were a hard-working British ale-house team, which works at the level they were trying but no further.

ii) Comparison with the previous incumbent who worked under very similar conditions. As TT wrote, Sven's team looked miles better so he has taken that backwards at great expense.

Breaking into the top4 is very hard due to their financial advantages & the lead they have.

However the chasing pack in the PL have effectively given up by appointing British non-tactician motivators who are never going to do it.

'Arry,Moyes,MoN & Hughes are all completely out of their depth at the highest level.

You need a foreign manager/structure & to concentrate on the Uefa Cup 1st as that shows you can play football & brings contintental prestige (& hence massively helps recruitment before the next stage of breaking into the top4)

Spurs at least tried something different but completely failed to research who made Sevilla (an excellent model for any English club trying to break thru) tick & hired Ramos not Monchi as Martin Jol (who was light years ahead of what they have now anyway) pointed out when journalists asked him if he was worried when the Spurs executives were photographed over there.

Why have none of them taken the time in their career to work abroad?

In all professions you gain so much by doing so (just as foreigners gain coming here: it is the diversity which leads to benfits)

Those 4 are old-fashioned & embody the worst traits of British football (& possibly society).

Tactics for them is a metaphor about war "going over the top", "Dunkirk spirit" etc.

I feel sorry for Hughes, it was always going to be a tough task once expectations were raised by the influx of cash. It's not just about spending loads of money on flash players, Hughes knows that but the owners and many of the fans don't, that's why he'd rather have a player like Bellars rather than Robinho. Between him and Richards, his dressing room also seems permeated with cuntary.

I also feel sorry for Hughes, I think that club is doomed to be a Newcastle type soap opera for the next few years, they have already given themselves the title world's richest club and are making noises about the success that they will effectively buy but for the most part the players there appear to think that the job is done.

Hughes will be out of a job in the summer and I would expect to see a foreign coach go in, maybe Mancini, maybe Scolari.

With all that said I expect them to raise their game against the scum and I expect them to beat them.