You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, I mean, to be fair to Hiddink, he is a fantastic manager, and twice against us, after half time, Chelsea have gone on to do what they needed to do to go through.

Whatever he told them, helped them get the win. Yes, they got a lot of luck, but a manager of his calibre doesn't win all that he has won, with constantly being lucky.

Is he really that great a manager though?

I like him, but essentially for the past 10-20 years he has been involved in International football, the Korean adventure was dodgy as fuck, Austrailia reached the knock out stages, I think he has reached the semi's once with Holland in 98, but that's it isnt it? Bare in mind he is only being judged every two years, four in some cases!

I know he won the European cup with PSV, but other managers have won the champions league and don't get described as 'world class', he seems to be a bit of a media darling, like O'Neil.

I realise I am being churlish, but not sure for the past 20 years he has won much!

I don't know, I mean, to be fair to Hiddink, he is a fantastic manager, and twice against us, after half time, Chelsea have gone on to do what they needed to do to go through.

Whatever he told them, helped them get the win. Yes, they got a lot of luck, but a manager of his calibre doesn't win all that he has won, with constantly being lucky.

They came out with the same conviction that they showed in the first half, and their only real chance of the game ended with Pepe's helping hand.

IF that hadn't gone in, who knows.

I'm not denying Hiddink had a pop at the players, but until their lucky goal, they still weren't at the races.

Remember Olympiacos in 2005, remember how we started the second half, well that wasn't Chelsea on Tuesday night, so I don't describe to the fact that it was the manager that change the course of the game. But that's IMO.

Guus Hiddink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems to have a pretty good record, especially taking the likes of South Korea and Australia and turning them into very good international teams under his tenure.

I think he's a brilliant manager, gets his teams playing good attacking football aswell (and that's not a pop at Rafa before anyone shoots me down).

Someone mentioned about Auerlio's goal being a worked thing.

Aurelio admits Liverpool deliberately targeted Chelsea keeper Cech

17.04.09 | tribalfootball.com

Fabio Aurelio has revealed Liverpool had plans to target Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech prior to their 4-4 draw at Stamford Bridge this week.

"It was mentioned before the game by our goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero that Cech positions himself early for crosses," explained Aurelio on liverpoolfc.tv.

"When I stepped-up to take the free-kick, I noticed he was already in a position to wait for a cross, as were the men in the wall, so the space was there to try a shot.

"It was agreed beforehand that we would attempt it because even if the goalkeeper were to save it, he would position himself closer to the goal for the next free-kick and leave our players with more space to attack the cross inside the box.

"Fortunately it came off and was part of a good beginning for us."

Seriously, this along with Torres' quotes last year about the help he got on one-on-ones, who would have thought that a goalkeeping coach could have such an effect on our attacking play.