You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

Inspiring, sensational LIVERPOOL. There is not one team, from now on, that will ever go into a European cup tie with a complacent attitude, including Chelsea, if they are up against our lads. We so very nearly did the impossible, we were so close to performing the required 'miracle', but it wasn't to be.

I take great heart in this performance, because apart form not having Gerrard on the field, quite literally, & we didn't have Torres either, because for whatever reason, he didn't 'fire'.

To be honest ( and there will be some that will not like this ) I am not convinced that United will falter to give us the Prem; there's everything to play for ofc, thats a given, and that's what i'm feeling more than anything else at the moment: the team has EARNED the respect of it's opponents in recent games, and I've begun to feel that the club is healing, and growing again, in a way that will bring more than just The Premiership in the near future.

We will push United all the way now, and they will need every ounce of skill and luck they can find, if they are to go on and convert their advantage into a title; one slip, and down the hole they'll fall ..

I support The Red Men, Liverpool F.C. - The greatest football club on the planet.

Thank you for all you have given me, and for all you will give to me in the future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Torres was taken off, minutes after Lampard had scored Chelsea`s third goal, my guess is that even the most optimistic fan out there thought it was game over, if you looked at his expression on the bench you did not see the face of a manager who had just pulled one of the most sensational substitutions ever out of the hat to get us straight back into the tie, maybe you did, but I certainly did not.

Rafa barely shows an emotion at the best of times. The reality is, that for the majority of the second half Torres hadn't had a sniff (one great turn and shot aside) and had not caused the Chelsea defence anywhere near the level of worry he had in the first. The substitution was made, and we stepped it up. To suggest that the manager had given up on the game, given our performances this season suggest anything but, is quite frankly a poor criticism in my opinion. Rafa has taken some stick for his late substitutions this season, yet they have worked a lot of the time.

What about Torres on Saturday? In with a chance of his hat-trick but didn't look like getting it in the second half. We bring him off. It peps up the attack. We score two more.

FUCK! I keep thinking about the game over and over and how we blew it really.

2-0 up how did we draw 4-4? How did we concede 4 goals in the second half?(the 4th I can understand)

Yes I'm proud of the performance and effort but my God 2-0 up in the first half God damn it.

Fucking Drogba saves his good games for us, I don;t know the best way to defend him but he won every single header Carra and Skrtel just seemed to stand behind him and allow him to get the header which cause us havoc numerous times. Carra didn't even seem to jump against him a lot of the time, I'm not bashing him or Skrtel but they really got outplayed and I really think Agger should of started.

As soon as we scored the 2nd goal we seemed to back off and let them into the game just like in the 1st leg, we sat deeper and allowed them to get their deep high balls into the box and caused us so many problems.

On the positive side, Lucas looks a much better player in a more forward role, he's obviously not a defensive midfielder he still lacks that extra something that top players have though like extra pace or power.

Xabi and Mascherano were brilliant they absolutely bossed the midfield in the first half, Ballack was invisible and Essien wasn't much better.

I'm so gutted because we were so close to pulling it off and we blew it really, as much as I'm proud of the effort I still think we threw it away after we went 2 up.

I think Baca will knock them out and that will ease the pain a bit, so it's down to the league now and I don;t know what to think about our chances there I'm not confident about beating Arsenal though they always seem to give us a tough game.

Some of the free kicks given were a fucking joke, but to be honest I was made up to see a lot of them. We didn't put in a single tackle worthy of the name last Wednesday, but last night we got at them from the word go and that was a major factor in our performance. Those cunts will know they were in a game last night when they wake up this morning.

the reason why drogba wins all hs headers is he backs in, which results him either

a) tipping forwards like a loon which a defender tries to hold his ground with us conceeding a foul and free kick near our area

b) winning the header

the ref was BADLY conned by drogba last night, you just know if it had been crouch doing the same at the other end the ref would have givn fouls against us all night.

I am proud to be a Liverpool fan. Not just tonight where the odds were stacked against our boys, but every time we play. They did not go gentle into that good night. They never gave up hope. So I'll say a prayer for the 96and I'll keep believing in the spirit of LFC.

great performance but we blew it. At 2-0 they were on the ropes and we should have moved in for the kill. Alas it wasnt meant to be. Proud of the performance but even prouder of the fans that were there.

At 2-0 there was only one team in it. I think Tyldesley said something about Hiddink's amazing half time team talk in his commentary when they got their first two goals, but they were still shitting themselves when they came out for the second half. They were really nervy for the first few minutes until the multiple fuck-ups that resulted in Drogba's goal. It's a shame as I think we'd have gone through if we'd not conceded that one. Oh well, Arsenal here we come.

If Drogba played like that every game, Chelsea would be top of the league. Can't stand the man though, utter utter twat.

That is impossible because no referees in the PL will be as shit as this one was..... This was probably the worst refereeing performance I have witnessed in the last 10-15 years, which incredably includes a lot of Scum games at OT.... Drogba wasn't that good just a moaning cunt who went to ground at every opportunity....

Chelsea game plan - hoof the ball to Drogba, go to ground and win a free kick - goalscoring opportunity....

I hope that big girly cunt gets what he deserves and has both his legs ripped off at the knee from a two footed tackle by Alves in the semis.........

It'd be patronising as fuck for me to say I'm gutted for you, but this week especially I was hoping for another Istanbul. None of you should be anything but proud after that display. Even I felt proud of you. I might be getting a bit soft in my old age, but after watching that game, I hope you go on to win the league.

Liz rules.. anyone who says otherwise is wrong (am sure I read that on Facebook :P)

its taken me a while to get on to the forum.just feel hollow inside. paddyberger15 is totally right in everything he says. drogba (who would be the worst player maybe in the world to play against id say) is now public cunt number 1.

well done redmen. did the 96 proud.

ive just bid on ebay for a litmanen barca shirt, fuck the cost.

heres to justice for the 96 one day..

Guest TK-421

And it was fucking great to see what our team can do when they are totally released of their shackles (as open as it left us at the back!)

I'd rather the "shackles" went back on for occasions like the first leg. We left ourselves far too open throughout that leg and I think Rafa got it badly wrong.

Hiddink is known in the Netherlands as "Lucky Guus" and this game is good evidence of why. There was no great team talk, no inspiring performance by moonface to drag them back into the match. It was a freak goal and a free kick that shouldn't have been given.

I'd rather the "shackles" went back on for occasions like the first leg. We left ourselves far too open throughout that leg and I think Rafa got it badly wrong.

I don't think he got it wrong, he just had two CMs who don't have what it takes to dominate in a midfield battle against such high quality opponents. The mistake was only having those two to choose from.

Guest TK-421
I don't think he got it wrong, he just had two CMs who don't have what it takes to dominate in a midfield battle against such high quality opponents. The mistake was only having those two to choose from.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but I think we would've fared better if Gerrard had dropped into midfield and Yossi had taken his place behind Torres, with Lucas on the bench.

I personally think Rafa got his tactics wrong in the opening leg and it cost us the tie. I think we became a touch complacent going into that game on the back of some great results and sublime football, a little too overconfident.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight but I think we would've fared better if Gerrard had dropped into midfield and Yossi had taken his place behind Torres, with Lucas on the bench.

I personally think Rafa got his tactics wrong in the opening leg and it cost us the tie.

His tactics could most definitely have been better, no question. The last performance is a testament to that. But to put it all down to tactics. Nah, too simplistic. Fact of the matter is we lost the game because we didn't control the CM (which SG was free to drop into whenever we didn't have the ball) and two players lost their personal battles at set pieces.

Hiddink is known in the Netherlands as "Lucky Guus" and this game is good evidence of why. There was no great team talk, no inspiring performance by moonface to drag them back into the match. It was a freak goal and a free kick that shouldn't have been given.

Nail, head and finger.

Correct, but every tv pundit, journalist, radio presenter thinks otherwise.

Was it bollocks, it was exactly as you put it.

I was saying the same at half time in the first game. We didn't stand a chance in midfield physically and switching Gerrard back could've solved that.

It was a magnificent, brave peformance by everyone. We just had a little too much to do overall.

Best moment of the night for me was Dirk Kuyt's war face after his goal, and the few seconds he took to celebrate in front of our fans. The sheer belief of it all and the communion between players and supporters.

We've a cracking core of 12/13 players who fight until the end and don't give up.

If we don't win No. 19 this year, we'll fucking do it next year with a couple of quality additions in the summer.

Nail, head and finger.

Correct, but every tv pundit, journalist, radio presenter thinks otherwise.

Was it bollocks, it was exactly as you put it.

I don't know, I mean, to be fair to Hiddink, he is a fantastic manager, and twice against us, after half time, Chelsea have gone on to do what they needed to do to go through.

Whatever he told them, helped them get the win. Yes, they got a lot of luck, but a manager of his calibre doesn't win all that he has won, with constantly being lucky.