You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone met/talked to past or present players?

Diddyman

Guest the boy
No what you mean

In my job I have met some very famous people but have never been i awe of them because it was my job but when you meet footballers or legends then it becomes much more difficult with Vlad it was easy as he took a shine to the young lady who was in our group.

You struggle to even write coherently.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest the boy

Have a photo with Peter Robinson outside the Amsterdam Olympic Stadium when we played Alkmaar. He used to pop up all the time meeting and greeting fans. Parry worked rather differently.

ian rush last year at radisson hotel when i won a comp and he presented the cheque.great fella.really down to earth,had my young 11 yr old nephew with me and he was very supportive and paid lots of attention to how he was getting on at school with his footy.

met ian callaghan and dave johnson at a benefit night at anfield for the ray of hope appeal for ray kennedy,both very friendly and had loads of time at the end for photos,autographs etc.

bump into john aldridge in and around the pubs of woolton quite often.am on nodding terms with him as when he was at south liverpool,my mate lennie was centre half.

:whoops:It was about 4 years ago, I was walking with my wife in Dana Point, California and I thought I saw Barry Venison in a restaurant. About half an hour later I came face to face with him in a shop and I just froze......Didn't know what to say to the man so I just nodded toward him and then walked away! Barry Venison for fucks sake! Haha.

Wish I had at least said "Alright Barry lad, what the fuck you doing here? Having a nice holiday with yer missus?" :wow::wow:

Just wondering if anyone else has had contact with any of the players and what was the outcome.......

haha! Barry Venison was my one to.

Bout 5-6 years ago me and my brother(lfc fan) worked for the old man, we were working in a storage unit in Southampton moving everything out as it was being vacated.

i was 15 foot up on this shelf passing shit down to my brother and then Barry fucking Venison just strolls in with some women.

i just looked at him and said 'Barry Venison!' and laughed, really weird and sort of surreal ,you just dont expect that.

I said to him that we were Liverpool fans ,cant remember what he said back, not a lot , we shook his hand, i went outside, my brother followed me out and done and impression of me when i said 'Barry venison!, and we both pissed ourselves laughing.

We just let him get on with it in there , he was obviously taking the unit on. and said bye to him when he left.

I saw Carra in the away end at Boro in 03/04 when he was out with a broken leg. I just asked him how he was and got my programme signed by him.

I also saw John Barnes when I was in Heswall a few months back. I said alright to him and got an "alright, mate" back. I was buzzing off that for days. Still am actually.

• 2 months later...

I once saw Xabi Alonso walking down Bold Street with his bird.

I got all flustered and embarressed and just whispered to my bird: ''There's Xabi.'' I went bright red and just put my head down. My bird just laughed at me and called me a twat.

I get like that in the presence of bona fide fucking greatness though.

One of my mates rang 606 in 2007 to complain about the ticket allocation fiasco, and after his call one of the producers asked him if he was going to Athens to which he said yes. Radio 5 were doing a show live from Athens the night before the final and they wanted a group of Liverpool supporters to appear on the show, that group being us.

Anyway, the night before the match, we were all sat outside this bar in Athens (with the verandas opened out as it kept flittering between scorching heat and torrential rain) and Radio 5 started their show. They had some guests on; journos, pundits etc. and on the next table to us was James Richardson (Football Italia dude) We got talking and he moved over and joined us on our table. Later on, Jan Molby and Graham Taylor joined the group and we all got trolleyed into the small hours. Graham Taylor is a top, top fella and we managed to get him to do the five time salute!

James Richardson is a fucking legend.

Ive been lucky met Shanks (highlight of my life) Paisley and outside of football Vlad and Co, Souness and Xabi.

It depends what you can meet as I stayed in the same hotel as the players in 1981 with the highlight of one Liverpool player shouting to another she's only 16.

Times change Phil Thompson took cup and some fans down the champs Elysees the day after we won it. diffent days them.

As I said Ive been pretty lucky with regard to meeting players and managers.

I once saw Xabi Alonso walking down Bold Street with his bird.

I got all flustered and embarressed and just whispered to my bird: ''There's Xabi.'' I went bright red and just put my head down. My bird just laughed at me and called me a twat.

I get like that in the presence of bona fide fucking greatness though.

He must like bold st, ive seen him and his bird in both Ran and Microzine before.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

I've met quite a few of the current squad

I know one personally

Kenny Dalglish phoned me the day before my wedding last month to wish me luck

Oh and just for Ted

xabim.jpg

He must like bold st, ive seen him and his bird in both Ran and Microzine before.

Seen him driving round in his Cayenne a couple of times too. The traffic parts for him.

Also, was coming down the stairs in the St John's car park a couple of years back. Got to the last step and this fucking huge black fella went the other way. It was Momo. Fucking leg.

Held the door open for Aldo at David Lloyd's in Speke once. Done some sit ups next to him too. Worraguy.

James Richardson is a fucking legend.

His comments on football Italia were superb. A couple I remember.

1. Tottenham were bottom of the English league and the Italian League had just played it's 11th game. Richardson - "After the break we'll discuss week 11 of the season. I don't mean you Tottenham players".

2. Stories about Beckham possibly moving to Italy were in the papers. Richardson shows a photo of Posh & Becks and says "After the break we'll be talking about possibly the most expensive boot in the world, that's the one on the right".

I saw Babel 'bumping' his pricey ride whilst I was walking through town a few months ago.

I saw Xabi having a few bevvies on a patio last summer with one of the coaches. I was going to go say hello, but he was being bothered by some kids so I just kept stepping.

I saw Reina having a meal at La Tasca on the patio and I regret to say that I didn't go talk to him. I bet he would have been a fucking laugh.

I also saw John Barnes going into a carpark near Doc Duncan's a few months ago and I was shocked when I saw him and said, "John Barnes!" like a little kid and he just chuckled at me.

When I was a wee boy I met Kenny and Marina just outside the changing rooms at Parkhead. My grampa was in some way involved with the club (to this day, don't know exactly how), to the extent that we would park in the club car park and go in through a human-sized door in the middle of an enormous green door that never seemed to open.

Bear in mind I was about 7 at the time, so recollection may not be entirely accurate, but I do remember Kenny, and especially Marina (she was lovely to me) really taking the time out to say hello.

Later got a ball signed by Rushie and all the Liverpool lads at the time as well - this was around 1982, when Rushie was having his duel with Kerry Dixon.

Guess what I did with it: Went and showed my mates, then played with it till all the signatures, not to mention the leather, had worn off.

Literally, a schoolboy error.

I saw Babel 'bumping' his pricey ride whilst I was walking through town a few months ago.

I saw Xabi having a few bevvies on a patio last summer with one of the coaches. I was going to go say hello, but he was being bothered by some kids so I just kept stepping.

I saw Reina having a meal at La Tasca on the patio and I regret to say that I didn't go talk to him. I bet he would have been a fucking laugh.

I also saw John Barnes going into a carpark near Doc Duncan's a few months ago and I was shocked when I saw him and said, "John Barnes!" like a little kid and he just chuckled at me.

In these situations, I think the best thing is to just say something pleasant and keep walking. That's always my policy when I see someone famous who I like.

I'd never accost them and demand they speak to me. What are we going to chat about, exactly? Knobheads who do that are just infringing on players' privacy.

(If you have obsessed kids with you, obviously the above can be ignored.)

His comments on football Italia were superb. A couple I remember.

1. Tottenham were bottom of the English league and the Italian League had just played it's 11th game. Richardson - "After the break we'll discuss week 11 of the season. I don't mean you Tottenham players".

2. Stories about Beckham possibly moving to Italy were in the papers. Richardson shows a photo of Posh & Becks and says "After the break we'll be talking about possibly the most expensive boot in the world, that's the one on the right".

The Guardian's Football weekly podcast is just a platform for him to come out with some of the most majestic one liners ever.

He's brilliant. How people like Steve Ryder present Champion's League on a regular basis while Jimbo was stuck on Setanta is a mystery.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

all great stories...

but isn't there anyone out there who has met a right khunt of a legend??

must be somewhere....??

I used to wash Craig Johnstons car when he lived in Sandfield Park.

Ace bloke, used to give us a tenner which was loads back then in 1984 or thereabouts, and his missus/bird would bring us out glasses of pop, packets of crisps and biscuits when we had finished.

I met a few of the liverpool legends that went to Grenada last month for the game against grenada and saw the match too. Great game and i got to speak to Mark walters, john barnes and thommo on the beach. I had booked my holiday ages before i even realised they would be there but it was added bonus to be there for the game. Legends won VERY comfortably 6-1.

Going through the tunnel pay booths a couple of years back at the Wallasey end, the car in front of me slows down to put the dosh into the basket and as the driver's hand came out of the window and threw the coins into the basket, some of them obviously missed.

Cue the door opening and the driver getting out, it was Bruce Grobelaar.

He picked up the coins and looked back at me and mouthed " Don't tell anyone!"

Big smile, into the car, money into the basket and away.

Kept me amused all that day.

I saw Alan Ball in an off licence in Gosport. I was determined I wasn't going to let on I recognised him so him I ignored him. Later in the evening I happened to mention it to my mate's 2 young boys who'd been with me at the time. They cried and screamed cos that I hadn't told them. Boys huh?