You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Inbetweeners

Faustus

Been watching this again, since the first time it aired.

I really enjoyed it the first go around and I was a but nervous that it wouldn't hold up, as a lot of the humour is shock based and not necessarily that sophisticated. Pleasantly surprised that I was well wrong, it's still very funny I think it's because you're laughing at, rather than with, them; coupled with the fact trying to impress your mates and prove yourself are universal traits that change a bit as you get older but still have that high school aspect about them.

Discussing who you're attracted to, drinking, enjoying your friends pain and one liners that take the piss are always going to part of your friendship. 

Just now, Kevin D said:

Been watching this again, since the first time it aired.

I really enjoyed it the first go around and I was a but nervous that it wouldn't hold up, as a lot of the humour is shock based and not necessarily that sophisticated. Pleasantly surprised that I was well wrong, it's still very funny I think it's because you're laughing at, rather than with, them; coupled with the fact trying to impress your mates and prove yourself are universal traits that change a bit as you get older but still have that high school aspect about them.

Discussing who you're attracted to, drinking, enjoying your friends pain and one liners that take the piss are always going to part of your friendship. 

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons it's so good is because it is, by an absolute distance, the most accurate depiction of the British school experience there's ever been on screen. I used to scoff when critics would label shite like Grange Hill as realistic, when they were nothing of the sort. They were about as true to life as St Trinians. But someone finally got it right.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

One of the reasons it's so good is because it is, by an absolute distance, the most accurate depiction of the British school experience there's ever been on screen. I used to scoff when critics would label shite like Grange Hill as realistic, when they were nothing of the sort. They were about as true to life as St Trinians. But someone finally got it right.

Grange Hill was boss.

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Were you Will?

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Are you suggesting that you were a virgin that shit himself in an exam?

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

Been rewatching this lately. The older I get the more I appreciate it, especially considering I was the same age when it first came out. I think everyone has known or been all of those four characters at some point in their lives. 

I think my favourite exchange in the whole show is in the episode when they're going on a school trip to Swannage and they're waiting to get on the coach. 

"We should get some booze or try and get off with the local girls." 

"Everything we're shit at here but by the seaside?"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Been rewatching this lately. The older I get the more I appreciate it, especially considering I was the same age when it first came out. I think everyone has known or been all of those four characters at some point in their lives. 

I think my favourite exchange in the whole show is in the episode when they're going on a school trip to Swannage and they're waiting to get on the coach. 

"We should get some booze or try and get off with the local girls." 

"Everything we're shit at here but by the seaside?"

The film is genius, it's a lad's holiday through and through. It made me want to go on one again even though I'd have a six month hangover.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The film is genius, it's a lad's holiday through and through. It made me want to go on one again even though I'd have a six month hangover.

Best scene in the film is when Simon and Jay try to have a fight but are just holding eachother awkwardly in headlocks not throwing any digs. It really is how the majority of people at school who were mates but couldn't fight would scrap.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Endlessly rewatachable however in the current climate I fear its endless your dad is gay jokes, may see it open to criticism. 

Yeah I'm surprised it's not had shit yet, was thinking that watching the film the other day with the looky looky men.

13 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Endlessly rewatachable however in the current climate I fear its endless your dad is gay jokes, may see it open to criticism. 

It shouldn't be though, rightly or wrongly it is of its time, as mentioned above regarding the lads holiday for example, I have never seen a show so accurately depict what it was like to be a 16/17 British schoolkid from anywhere between the mid 80's up to ten years ago when it was made.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I have never seen a show so accurately depict what it was like to be a 16/17 British schoolkid from anywhere between the mid 80's up to ten years ago when it was made.

That's why it does get away with it I think, because it's pointing out the absurdity of kids behaviour.

Compared to Little Britain, for example, that laughed at the stereotype (amongst other things).

On 29/09/2019 at 18:59, Strontium Dog™ said:

I went to the best state school in the country. Most of us were Will.

So did I and i agree about there being loads of Will's there. I, however, was 100% Jay. Which as it turned out, was worse, as i ended up being "asked not to come back" after my O Levels for getting absolutely hammered on my auld fellas home brew one afternoon and then sauntering into school with my two mates (who were in a way worse state than me) and acting like an absolute whopper.   

• Upvote 1