You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Waiters / Waitresses who put on fake accents

Scott_M

I've often been in Italian restraunts and thought that the waiters / waitresses was making it up as they go along but last night took it to a new level.

I went for an Indian last night with my goomarh, when a obviousley white girl served us and put on a frankly ridiculous Indian accent while asking us if we wanted some drinks.

I thought this was a bit odd, smirked a bit and then ordered. For all I know she could be married to somebody with an Indian background so didn't mention it again.

This was until we came to pay when a girl of obvious Oriental decent took our card and again put on another ridiculous Indian accent and then followed it up with an full on Apu 'Thank you come again'.

Has anybody else had experience of this ridiculousness?

I appriciate restraunts are trying to give an authentic experience but surely last night was just taking the piss?

We had a work night out years ago in a little Italian restaurant in Dublin city centre. The waiter (a young guy of about 20) starts asking us what we want in English but with a heavy Italian accent. One of the girls we were with starts rabbiting on to him in her fluent Italian and he just stared blankly at her and then eventually said that he was in fact from Coolock in Dublin and that while his mothers parents were Italian, he'd never actaully been and didn't speak the language.

We had a work night out years ago in a little Italian restaurant in Dublin city centre. The waiter (a young guy of about 20) starts asking us what we want in English but with a heavy Italian accent. One of the girls we were with starts rabbiting on to him in her fluent Italian and he just stared blankly at her and then eventually said that he was in fact from Coolock in Dublin and that while his mothers parents were Italian, he'd never actaully been and didn't speak the language.

I used to work in a place in Waterloo where the owner was Iranian but pretended to be Italian and gave himself an Italian name because his real name was something like Muhammed Jalalabad. A woman from the languages department in John Moores University came in and said Dove Mia? - "how are you?" in Italian. He stood behind the bar blankly then answered "We have Stella, Budweiser, Carlsberg, which one would you like?"

I used to work in a place in Waterloo where the owner was Iranian but pretended to be Italian and gave himself an Italian name because his real name was something like Muhammed Jalalabad. A woman from the languages department in John Moores University came in and said Dove Mia? - "how are you?" in Italian. He stood behind the bar blankly then answered "We have Stella, Budweiser, Carlsberg, which one would you like?"

I'm not surprised. 'Dove mia' means 'Where is my'.

'How are you?' in Italian, is 'Come sta(i)?'

I'm not surprised. 'Dove mia' means 'Where is my'.

'How are you?' in Italian, is 'Come sta(i)?'

I'll get my coat, you are right.

That was the only bit of the conversation i remembered, the head waiter was laughing his head off and said that they had asked how the owner was etc then he stared blankly then scuttled off to the kitchen to shout "mama mia" very loudly to try and keep up his act.

I once worked with some Italians, and the only expression I heard them shouting to each other all the time was, 'Va fan Culo.' Apparently it roughly translates as, 'Go and fuck yourself up the arse.'

I'd therefore suggest trying this out on any suspected fake Italian waiters...but only after they've served you all of your food.

Guest ShoePiss

never, that would be very strange indeed. I like going to Indian restaurants in Scotland, I don't know why but Indians talking with a Scottish accent makes me smile.