You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

jail terms

devilsadvocate

Jail terms in this country are a joke, in todays news the mar of that scumbag who shot rhys jones gets 3 yrs for perverting the course of justice fair enough I say she deserves it for bringing up that rat! Then I read a woman has a row in a supermarket rings her fella he comes in and smacks the wrong fella resulting in an innocent mans death! While the man is dying on floor she is runing around trying to find the real man she had a row with. He gets 4 yrs and she gets 18 mths, now i know what that scumbags mar done was bad but surely this case was worse! Same as armed robber will get 10-15, peadophile will get 3-5!!

Jail terms in this country are a joke, in todays news the mar of that scumbag who shot rhys jones gets 3 yrs for perverting the course of justice fair enough I say she deserves it for bringing up that rat! Then I read a woman has a row in a supermarket rings her fella he comes in and smacks the wrong fella resulting in an innocent mans death! While the man is dying on floor she is runing around trying to find the real man she had a row with. He gets 4 yrs and she gets 18 mths, now i know what that scumbags mar done was bad but surely this case was worse! Same as armed robber will get 10-15, peadophile will get 3-5!!

Thinking exactly the same myself.

Lets be honest , the Police/DPP could probably prosecute for perjury or perverting the course of justice in about half the cases they put forward if they wanted to.

The profile of the case has led to the ma's prosecution in my view.

Her son is scum , but mums don't see that. My mum was the most gentle , religious person you could meet but I'm sure that if I had ever been in serious trouble my mum would have tried to cover for me.

Ad-Seg : Administrative segregation. When a prisoner is placed on

Ad-seg he is being investigated and will go to the hole until

the investigation is complete. See Segregation.

Beef : Criminal charges. As, "I caught a burglary beef this time

around." Can also be used to mean problem. "I have a beef

with that guy."

Big yard : Main recreation yard.

Bit : Prison sentence, usually relatively short. "I got a

three-year bit." Oppose jolt.

Bitch, bitched(v). : To be sentenced as a "habitual offender."

Blocks : Cellhouses.

Books : Administratively controlled account ledger which lists

each prisoner's account balance.

Bone Yard : The visiting trailers, used for overnight

visits of wives and/or families.

Bum Beef : A false accusation. Also, a wrongful conviction.

Care Package : Food or clothing sent from a friend.

Catch a ride :To ask a friend with drugs to get you high. "Hey man,

can I catch a ride?"

Cell soldier : A person who talks tough when the cells are locked.

The Chain : The bus transports that bring prisoners to prison.

One is shackled and chained when transported. As, "I've been riding the chain," or "I just got in on the chain," or "Is there anyone we know on the chain?"

Check-in : Someone who has submitted to pressure, intimidation,

debts, etc., and no longer feels secure in population and

"checks in" to a Protective Custody (PC) unit.

Chi-mo : Child-molester, "chester," "baby-raper," "short-eyes,"

(as, "he has short-eyes," meaning he goes after young kids). The worst of the rapo class in the eyes of convicts.

Contract : A written agreement between a prisoner and Administration

which allows a prisoner to be released from a Detention Unit

with probation-like stipulations.

Convict : Guys who know the score, guys with a little something to them, guys with pride, guys that count in the scheme of things--guys that live up to the convict code, who aren't stool-pidgeons (informants), who are loyal to the code, whose word is good, who won't play false with other convicts. Oppose inmate.

Cross-roader : A traveling thief, moves around a lot working on his hustles. Travels from town to town, city to city, working his "game"

(his hustle).

C.U.S. : Custody Unit Supervisor/Cellhouse supervisor.

De-Seg : Disciplinary Segregation. When a person is on De-seg he

is in the "hole" for an infraction.

Ding : A disrespectful term for a mentally deranged prisoner.

Dry snitching : To inform on someone indirectly by talking loud or performing suspicious actions when officers are in the area.

Dummy Up, Get on the dummy : To shut up, to pipe down, to be quiet, especially about one's knowledge of a crime.

E.P.R.D. : Earliest possible release date.

Fish : A new arrival, a first-timer, a bumpkin, not wise to

prison life.

Gate Money : The paltry sum the state gives a prisoner upon his release, towards his starting a new life in the free world.

Gate Time : At most joints they holler "gate time" meaning one can get

in or out of their cell. See lock up

Greener : As, "he's a greener," or "He's green as grass." A bumpkin,

a lop, one who's untutored in thievery or scams, a dummy.

Hacks/Hogs/Pigs/Snouts/Screws/Cops/Bulls : The guards, called "Correctional Officers" by themselvesand inmates.

Heat Wave : Being under constant suspicion, thereby bringing attention

to those around you.

Hit it : Go away, leave, get lost.

Hold your mud : Not tell, even under pressure of punishment.

The Hole : An isolation ("segregation") cell, used as punishment for the most paltry of offenses as well as serious offenses.

House : Cell.

Hustle : A professional criminal's avocation. Pickpocketing, burglary, and safe-cracking (now rare) are all hustles. Also refers to any scheme to obtain money or drugs while in prison.

I.K. : Inmate Kitchen.

I.M.U. : Intensive Management Unit, meaning ad seg or the hole. A euphemism that the prison regime uses to call the hole something that sounds nice. It's double speak guards and administrators use to make something primitive and ugly sound nice and professional.

Industry area As, "out in the industry area"--the area, usually in the back part of prisons, where you can find various maintenance shops such as laundry, electric, carpentry, and the small industries that go on in prisons.

Inmate : Derogatory term for prisoners. Used by guards and administrators, or other inmates who are fish (first-timers and new arrivals who don't know the lingo yet)--or kiss-asses, "lops," fools, dingbats, and assorted other goofball inmates. Oppose convict.

In the car : In on the "deal."

Iron Pile: Weight, weightlifting equipment.

Jacket : Prison file containing all information on a prisoner. "He's a child molester, it's in his jacket." Also reputation. Prisoners can put false jackets on other prisoners to discredit them.

Jolt : A long sentence, as "I got a life jolt." Oppose bit.

Jumping-Out : Turning to crime, as "I've been jumping out since I was a kid," or "I jumped out as soon as I got sprung on my last beef".

Keister : To hide something in the anal cavity. To "Keister" (pronounced Keester) something, as in, "I've got the dope stashed in the keister" or "suitcase".

Kite : A request for services within the joint, i.e. request for dental or medical services, request to see sundry prison personnel (guards or administrators). In a broad sense, any written correspondence.

Lag : A convict, as in, "He's an old lag, been at it all his life."

Lame : Stupid or naive.

Lay-in : Appointment. "I have a lay-in to the barber shop."

Lifer : Anyone with a life sentence or anyone doing "all day", meaning forever - a life jolt.

Live or Memorex : Live-- To have.

Memorex-- Don't have.Not really considered prison slang by old school convicts; it's used by guys trying to be cool or hip.

Lock-down : When prisoners are confined to their cells.

Lock-up : Free movement period for prisoners. See also gate time.

Lop : See inmate.

Main Line : Main population of the prison. Can also be used to refer to intravenous drug use.

Med-line: Medication line, or pill-line.

Mule : A person who smuggles drugs into the institution.

N.G. : "No Good," as "He's N.G." (meaning he's a rat, or a bumbler, he talks too much).

Old School : Reference to the way prisons used to be, particularly more respect given to fellow prisoners, less informing, less horseplay. "he's an old school convict," meaning stand up or raised right.

On : (e.g.) one Alert given by prisoners with respect to which tier a guard is on. You holler out, "cops on one" (tier one) or two, or whichever tier. Alerts the guys on that tier to be careful.

On the leg : A prisoner who is always chatting with and befriending guards.

On your lips : Very high on drugs or alcohol. Used by lops to sound hip.

Paper: A small quantity of drugs packaged for selling.

P.C. : Protective Custody. Also as in "He's a PC case", meaning weak or untrustworthy.

Pepsi Generation: Newer, younger prisoners, who lack respect for Old School ways.

Plex : Originated from "complex", as in "Don't 'plex' up on me." Used to connote extreme reactions that go overboard, and aren't warranted by the situation.

Point/Outfit : Syringe.

Pruno : Homemade wine.

Punk : Derogatory term meaning homosexual or weak individual.

Rapo : Anyone with a sex crime--generally looked down on by convicts.

Rat/Snitch/Stool Pidgeon : n., informant. v., to inform.

Rounder : A hustler, a thief, one who's been around the block. As "He's an old rounder who's cut a few corners in life."

Sallyport : Security area where guards enter the institution.

Scam : A well-planned scheme. As, "he's a scammer," or "He works some good scams." Meaning a thief's hustle, his game.

Scan call : Monitored telephone call.

Score : The loot from a crime, as "I got a good score out of that place."

Segregation : A disciplinary unit, used for minor and major offenses, where prisoners are kept apart from the main population and denied most all privileges.

Send-out : To send money off your books, for drugs, a wager, curio purchase, etc. or any joint transaction where you got to pay a guy for something.

Shake-down : Search.

Shank : Homemade knife.

Shit watch : A person who is suspected of hiding drugs in his anus will be placed on a shit watch.

Short : An prisoner who is close to his release date.

Slammed : "He's slammed down," meaning locked in the hole or ad seg

Sprung : Getting out of jail or prison, as "The attorney sprung me on it," or "I did a 3-spot (three year sentence) and got sprung on that beef."

Square John : A "square," doesn't know the ropes, a sucker, as "he's as square as a shoebox," or "he's as square as a box of Wenatchee apples." Also a working stiff, a law-abiding citizen, as "He's a square john, works a shift in a sawmill."

State issue: Anything provided by the state.

Stash : To hide something. Can also be used to refer to drugs.

Stand Point : Watch for "the man" (guard).

Stick : Marijuana cigarette. Also called a joint, thin one, hooter, reefer, etc.

Store : Commissary. Where a prisoner may purchase food, health, or welfare items.

Street to street : A form of payment for a drug deal where a prisoner's (outside) people send money to another prisoner's people.

Tag/Write-up : Infraction of institution rules.

Tailor made : Factory rolled cigarettes.

The bag/sack : Dope.

Tom or George: Meaning "no good," (Tom) or "okay" (George). This is used in conversation to indicate if something or someone is all right or not all right. Also used in sign language, stroking an imaginary beard is the "George" sign (named after King George, who wore a beard), meaning it's okay (to 'make a move', that no one is watching, that the coast is clear), or the "Tom" sign, meaning it or he is not any good, indicated by tweaking the nose or tugging at the ear lobe.

Turned out : Generally means to be cajoled or forced into homosexual acts. But one could also turn out a guard - turn him to "pack" (pack drugs) for you. So, to "turn out" is to use someone for your own ends.

U.A. : Urinalysis (Piss Test).

White money : Currency within the institution.

Wolf ticket: To speak aggressively to someone without intending to back it up with violence. "He's selling wolf tickets", meaning he's barking but not going to bite. Also used as street slang.

Workline : When cells are opened so prisoners can report to work.

Yard-in : Command given to return to your cell. Closing of the recreation yard.

Yard-out : Recreation yard opens.

English and Australian rhyming slang is still common in U.S. prisons. Along with other prison languages such as Agini, Cezarney, and Elephant, it is used to keep the uninitiated in the dark while conversing.

Barclay Hunt : Cunt.

Bees and Honey : Money.

Bonney Fair : Hair.

Bottles and Stoppers: Coppers (guards or cops - any policemen).

Brace and Bits : Tits.

Briney Marlin : Darlin'.

Brothers and Sisters : Whiskers.

Butcher's Hook : Take a Look.

Chalk Farms : Arms.

Cheese and Kisses: The Mrs.

Chip and Chase (also Boatrace) : Face.

Darby Kelly : Belly.

Dickey Dirt : A shirt.

Elephant's Trunk : Drunk.

Erie Canal : Ear. As, "he's on the Erie Canal," meaning he's listening in.

Fiddle and Flute: A suit.

Fields of Wheat : The street.

Fine and Dandy : Candy.

Fleas and Ants: Pants.

Gay and Frisky : Whisky.

God Forbid : A kid.

Goose and Duck: Fuck.

Hammer and Tack: Back.

Hampton Heath: Teeth.

Hank and Frank: A bank.

Hit and Miss: Piss (urine).

Ike and Mike : The spike, rig, outfit, or point, a hypodermic needle and syringe.

I Suppose: Nose.

Jack & Jills : Pills.

Jimmy Britt : Shit (feces).

Joe Goss: The boss.

Joe McGinn : Chin.

Lady from Bristol: Pistol.

Lean and Lingers: Fingers.

Lean and Lurch : Church.

Lump o' Lead: Head.

Mary Blain : Train.

Mince Pies : Eyes.

Moan and Groan : Telephone.

Mop and pail: Jail.

Misbehave : Shave.

Mumbly-pegs : Yer legs.

North and South : Mouth.

Oh my Dear: Beer.

Ones and Twos: Shoes.

Oscar Hocks: Socks.

Plates of Meat : Feet.

Push and Pull : A bull (guard or any other policeman).

Rosy Bump : Rump.

Rumble and Jar : Car.

Shovel and Broom : Room.

Sky Rocket : Pocket.

Storm and Strife: The wife.

Swinging Door: Whore.

This and That: A hat.

Twist & Twirl : Girl.

Probably out in seven at most - he'd be looking at 20-30 years in the states for this I reckon, at least.

Addict who killed toddler Brandon Muir is jailed for 10 years - Times Online

A heroin addict was today sentenced to 10 years in jail for killing his girlfriend’s baby son Brandon Muir in Dundee last March.

Brandon Muir died of a ruptured intestine hours after Robert Cunningham assaulted him.

Cunningham, 23, was initially accused of murder, but a jury at the High Court in Glasgow returned a guilty verdict on the lesser charge of culpable homicide earlier this month.

“It’s not enough. He has stolen and taken our grandson from us," said Veronica Boyd, the child’s grandmother, responding to the prison sentence outside the court.

This is still by far the worst I've heard:

Gang jailed for caustic soda rape of girl with learning difficulties - Telegraph

Three men who raped a girl with learning difficulties before scarring her for life with caustic soda have been jailed.

The 16-year-old girl, who has a mental age of eight, screamed in pain during the attack which the men filmed on their mobile phones.

Her attackers were among a gang up to 10 who had hoped the powerful corrosive would destroy forensic evidence. They then poured water on the teenager, intensifying the burning.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour, who heard her "frantic" cries at the abandoned property and found her covered with raw patches on her face and body.

In the dock were Jamaican-born Rogel McMorris, 18, of Tottenham, north London, who was jailed for nine years after being convicted last month of two rape counts and one of causing grievous bodily harm.

Co-defendants Jason Brew, 19, of Haringey, north London, and 20-year-old Angolan immigrant Hector Muaimba, of Waltham Forest, east London, were both found guilty of one charge of rape.

They each got six years for attacking the girl, although a further two years was added to Muaimba's sentence for a separate Old Bailey conviction for robbery.

So he got eight years (out in, what? six at most?) for seperate crimes of robbery and raping a girl with a mental age of eight, filming it, and standing there while his mate pours acid on her.

Nice.

Probably out in seven at most - he'd be looking at 20-30 years in the states for this I reckon, at least.

Addict who killed toddler Brandon Muir is jailed for 10 years - Times Online

This is still by far the worst I've heard:

Gang jailed for caustic soda rape of girl with learning difficulties - Telegraph

So he got eight years (out in, what? six at most?) for seperate crimes of robbery and raping a girl with a mental age of eight, filming it, and standing there while his mate pours acid on her.

Nice.

I couldn't believe it when I read that, truly disgusting