You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Contract Updates

m0e

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he really isn't.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/53474-latest-news-th-inside.html Yes, he Really is.

"Just got a call from my mate in Johannesburg (the one who's involved with the Masters in Dubai).

He's there for the World Cup draw, and apparently Parry has confimred to Phil Thommo that the decision has been made to sack Benitez.

Thommo's words: You don't do a press conference and embarrass your owners.

He says Mourinho cannot manage an English club until 2009. If they cannot agree compensation with Chelsea, Mark Hughes, yes Mark Fucking Hughes is next in line.

Thommo has also said that Hicks has wanted Rafa out since his post-Athens outburst. Gillett is still a huge fan of Rafa, but Hicks "hates" him. This has created a huge power struggle between the two.

He has also confirmed that the Kaladze and Masherano deals have been vetoed by the yanks. After the Arsenal game, they did verbally agree to these deals, but something has indeed changed.

Thommo has apparently said that they really "don't have a clue about what Liverpool is about and how the club works".

The ex-Reds are not too bothered about the fact that RUafa is leaving, but much more concerned about the way Hicks will be running the club.

I am gutted.

I actually can't say too much more as I've just come off the phone having listened to some of our ex-legends speaking.

Will keep u guys posted as my mate will be out drinking with the guys, but they're all convinced it's 100% done.

I'm speechless."

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/53474-latest-news-th-inside.html Yes, he Really is.

"Just got a call from my mate in Johannesburg (the one who's involved with the Masters in Dubai).

He's there for the World Cup draw, and apparently Parry has confimred to Phil Thommo that the decision has been made to sack Benitez.

Thommo's words: You don't do a press conference and embarrass your owners.

He says Mourinho cannot manage an English club until 2009. If they cannot agree compensation with Chelsea, Mark Hughes, yes Mark Fucking Hughes is next in line.

Thommo has also said that Hicks has wanted Rafa out since his post-Athens outburst. Gillett is still a huge fan of Rafa, but Hicks "hates" him. This has created a huge power struggle between the two.

He has also confirmed that the Kaladze and Masherano deals have been vetoed by the yanks. After the Arsenal game, they did verbally agree to these deals, but something has indeed changed.

Thommo has apparently said that they really "don't have a clue about what Liverpool is about and how the club works".

The ex-Reds are not too bothered about the fact that RUafa is leaving, but much more concerned about the way Hicks will be running the club.

I am gutted.

I actually can't say too much more as I've just come off the phone having listened to some of our ex-legends speaking.

Will keep u guys posted as my mate will be out drinking with the guys, but they're all convinced it's 100% done.

I'm speechless."

Read the rest of the thread, he wasn't really wrong was he? Didn't we have a protest around that time before the Porto game, and a lot of people were resigned to him leaving? It was just some people being dickheads to him for posting the info they didn't want to hear.

Well we'd be buying Barry for about 10m, and we aren't getting 25m for Alonso - probably about 20m at most. It isn't worth selling Alonso for an extra 10m in our transfer budget, and buying a less experienced, older and worse player just because he can play in more than one position. I'd rather sell Lucas for about 4-5m and put that in our kitty, then start bringing Spearing through.

He really rates Lucas, and it looks highly unlikely that he'll be sold. The Barry/Alonso swap guarantees us more money in the coffers plus an additional English player for the quota.

I don't agree with it, but I see the thinking behind it.

Plus, if he's going after a top striker (notice no denials on the Villa, Eto'o rumours compared to Silva/Albiol) then I'd imagine a 4-4-2 against weaker teams, specially at home. This has to mean Gerrard in midfield, surely.

Those who've followed Tom Hicks' career and his various utterings will know one thing for sure - he does NOT dip into his own pocket for anything - I also don't believe for a minute the Kuwaitis or anyone else would buy 70% of anything and then let the minority holder be in control of the business - that's potential business suicide - especially as they came within a fart of owning the whole shop a few months ago, and no doubt would be expected to fork out/arrange and take the majority of risk for any stadium build. Where is the common or business logic in any of that?

I don't doubt mOe - but I think his source has been on the sauce.

Well the idea is a 3 man executive board with the new CEO, Tom Hicks and a member of the Kharafi family. Tom Hicks wants to be executive chairman, and wants the Kuwaitis to stay out of the day-to-day running of the club. Whether they agree depends on, firstly Gillett's valuation, which is still ridiculously high, and secondly on the timescale of the new stadium being built. There are plenty of Venture Capital firms that buy a majority stake in a company and stay out of the operational side. It's not something new. Specially in the Arab world.

Let's not forget that there are so many variables, and obstacles that are directly influencing the reality of the situation. Until these are addressed, we're still in the same situation.

The 25m Hicks is putting up is simply to force Gillett's hand. He's effectivley saying "We need inevestment. here's my share. Show me yours."

Oh, and Hicks never intended on selling his stake to the Kuwaitis in full. That was never on the agenda.

There's little point in m0e coming on here and saying all that followed by "according to a guy with long, long shoes" or whatever.

I trust m0e to tell us exactly what he's been told, less any details he feels he should keep under his hat for good reason.

The only question I'd have is whether m0e trusts the people he's spoken to, whether it's a chain of people or very direct sources.

Who can you trust at the club these days?

It's true Jim. There are many stories coming out from various sources. Mine is close to the Rafa camp, and I think you'll find with Parry leaving, and Gillett (at least) hopefully out the door, we'll see an end to this nonsense.

I trust the info. If you really analyse it, even regarding the news contracts for Agger/Torres, nothing is certain. I'm just telling you what I hear as it stands. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Read the rest of the thread, he wasn't really wrong was he? Didn't we have a protest around that time before the Porto game, and a lot of people were resigned to him leaving? It was just some people being dickheads to him for posting the info they didn't want to hear.

Don't worry about it phily. That info was from ex-players, who were not involved in the background at the club. it was simply the rumours amongst them at Soccerex.

I actually stated where that came from, and I was wrong to have done that, as I got in a bit of trouble from the person who was involved.

I'll only give info on the forum when i feel it's right to do so, as I hear stuff all the time, sometimes on a daily basis.

Well the idea is a 3 man executive board with the new CEO, Tom Hicks and a member of the Kharafi family. Tom Hicks wants to be executive chairman, and wants the Kuwaitis to stay out of the day-to-day running of the club. Whether they agree depends on, firstly Gillett's valuation, which is still ridiculously high, and secondly on the timescale of the new stadium being built. There are plenty of Venture Capital firms that buy a majority stake in a company and stay out of the operational side. It's not something new. Specially in the Arab world.

Let's not forget that there are so many variables, and obstacles that are directly influencing the reality of the situation. Until these are addressed, we're still in the same situation.

The 25m Hicks is putting up is simply to force Gillett's hand. He's effectivley saying "We need inevestment. here's my share. Show me yours."

Oh, and Hicks never intended on selling his stake to the Kuwaitis in full. That was never on the agenda.

Thanks for the reply. based on what you have heard then, the Kuwaitis will buy out Gillett's 50% and a further 20% of Hicks. Given that their agreed valuation of the club is in the £500m bracket, that would see the Kuwaitis stumping up around £330m for no say in the running of the club - I don't buy that. Arab businesses have indeed left current CEO's in charge of the day to day running of businesses they have bought (see DIC for example) but they have had final veto and a hold of the real strings when they believe it was warranted. I can find no record of them allowing a minority shareholder to hold all the cards and call the shots - and I've looked. The Al Kharafi family are also not venture capitalists. They buy and invest, but always control. They don't just put up money as a sleeping partner.

Then the stadium - Hicks can't afford it even more now than when he 'postponed' it - which means the Kuewaitis would have to stand as either loanees or guarantors to the full 70% of any borrowing as a minimum - again with no say...that's not a variable, that's just dumb.

If Hicks is only putting up £25m simply to force Gillett's hand - do you think Gillett doesn't know that? It would not necessarily force his hand in anyway as their control of the board is shared, and such a proposition wuld have to be agreed upon to be valid - turkeys and Christmas etc - so this would be a unilateral act on Hick's part that Gillett could ignore beyond any PR it might generate.

Lastly, never mind Mihir Bose - the Al Kharafi family themselves have admitted they were close to buying the whole club - (Kuwait Times / The Middle East Times - International) then they pulled out as it seems from what we can gather that they believed the whole price - including Hick's - was overpriced in their eyes.

I don't doubt your good faith, but the person(s) who told you this seem to be giving you more their own ideas than the basic facts of the matter.

Interesting stuff Moe. It doesn't especially worry me if Hicks stays with a diluted, minority share holding - even if he keeps his hand on the tiller. Majority owners can force him off the board as and when, if he gets out of hand. Clearly I'd prefer him gone, but just knowing that his was no longer the significant voice would be superb.

It's encouraging that they're seeing this as the summer to seriously invest in the team. Now more than any other time we are ripe for taking the final step that genuine quality would allow. As for Xabi going, I think that would be a huge error for completely obvious reasons. Barry coming in doesn't bother me too much. I think he's a decent player who could do better with more quality around him, would offer us more of Rafa's beloved options and is also, in the light of the CL rules, English. He's obviously nowhere near better than Xabi though.

Any word on the new stadium?

Just for me to recap so i understand everything m0e has posted.

Kuwait are buying 70% of the club (50% off Gillett and 20% off Hicks).

Hicks will still continue to run the club and call the shots whilst owning 30% of the club.

This is not 100% certain however as Gillett is still asking too much so Hicks is trying to force him out by putting up £25 million for transfers and asking Gillett to do the same.

So i dont forget we are selling Alonso to fund the purchase of Gareth Barry and give us extra cash towards further sales.

I think thats about recapped it.

Just for me to recap so i understand everything m0e has posted.

Kuwait are buying 70% of the club (50% off Gillett and 20% off Hicks).

Hicks will still continue to run the club and call the shots whilst owning 30% of the club.

This is not 100% certain however as Gillett is still asking too much so Hicks is trying to force him out by putting up £25 million for transfers and asking Gillett to do the same.

So i dont forget we are selling Alonso to fund the purchase of Gareth Barry and give us extra cash towards further sales.

I think thats about recapped it.

It's not clear how that percentage would come about. I inferred that they'd buy Gillet's share and then put money into the club thereby increasing their own share and decreasing Hicks'; either a rights or a share issue (whichever is the correct term).

GERRARD AGREES NEW CONTRACT

Paul Eaton 03 April 2009

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed Steven Gerrard has agreed a two-year extension to his current contract.

The Liverpool skipper, who has two years to run on his current deal, will soon put pen to paper on a new agreement to keep him at Anfield until at least 2013.

With manager Rafa Benitez and key members of his backroom team signing new contracts over the past two weeks, Gerrard's deal is another timely boost as the Reds look to end the season on a high.

Speaking exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv this morning, Benitez said: "This is fantastic news for the club.

"Steven has once again shown his commitment and it was an easy deal to agree. As soon as we offered him the option he said yes. There were no problems at all. He wants to stay for life.

"This deal sends out another clear message that we are moving forward as a club. To know we have a player of Steven's quality with us for many more years is a great boost for the club and the fans.

"He is clearly a player who inspires those around him and even though he is playing very well at the moment, I still think his best years are ahead of him."

Hicks with 30% runs the club doesn't sound right at all. And Hicks can't put up money and expect Gillett to do the same, it has to be a joint decision. Otherwise DIC and Gillett would have fucked with Hicks a year ago.

When you're right you're right. Unilateral acts by one partner doesn't oblige the other in any way (yes - I did look up the terms of reference of the partnership as posted elsewhere in pdf format over a year ago).

For Hicks to embarrass Gillett in this way, they would both have to agree to put in £25m 9and formalise it via the board) and then have Gillett come up short.

Paul

It's not clear how that percentage would come about. I inferred that they'd buy Gillet's share and then put money into the club thereby increasing their own share and decreasing Hicks'; either a rights or a share issue (whichever is the correct term).

It still leaves them as the clear majority shareholder, and a new partnership agreement would have to be brokered, be it 60 - 40, 70 - 30 it doesn't really matter...they would not sign over the rights to final control - no-one in their right mind would. They would (as would have DIC) retain the right to step in and shove aside anyone they thought was fucking it up - including Hicks himself, and they wouldn't want to leave themselves in the position of at some point possibly having to force a buy out of a minority holder for total control at potentially exorbitant cost.