You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ancelotti - Reds are best

Lucky Pierre

I think anyone who thinks it would be a minimum expectation for Liverpool to be challenging for cups in Rodger's first season is strange.

If we are in the same position this time next year, then you will have had a point. He is inexperienced and the owners knew that. It needs a good period of time to judge the impact of a manager. The owners will give him time (despite the weighty message boards of TLW).

The fact remains, as JJB said earlier, Rodgers is here to say and there's nothing in these guesswork rumours.

If we wanted him, we should have got him last year. We're "starting from scratch" and we need to get used to it.

Anyway, I'm off out of this thread before some bright spark starts banging on about season 09/10 and how a manager who made us "the most feared team in Europe" a year earlier turned us into the worst team in the world ever and should have been sacked. And then shot.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think we will be in exactly the same position next year, maybe slightly higher depending if Everton implode in the summer with Moyes and/or key players leaving.

I've just got no confidence that he can get the best out of the players he will have, the only consistency we've had this year is how erratic our form has been, play City of the park one week then demolished by West Brom another, beat spurs then get beat by Southampton , it hasn't been good enough and judging by how poor he has turned our defence I've no confidence in him to build our new one next year when we will need 3 new centre backs.

I badly want him to be successful but when things don't go our way he looks useless, as I've said before we are flat track bully's and next year there will be even more teams that are wise to it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume this would be some sort of revisiting of the DoF position?

Either way, it seems very strange that we'd be approaching him now. Smacks of press bollocks.

He'd be a good shout there. We could have used someone between the manager and the owners with the clout and the cop on to say 'Andy Carroll 10m tops, get a grip/ spend 10m on Sturridge before the season starts, stick your moneyball and put some faith in your new manager' as appropriate.

Does anyone think this pining for the good old days or sniping from the sidelines is helpful or informative? I think it is just sad.

It is bonkers to consider changing our manager again whatever we think of the current guy; it can only set us back further.

Get behind Rodgers and the project or just shut up. We could be turning into chelski without the sugar daddy

People have different opinions and viewpoints, and are allowed to express them. This isn't North Korea.

Guest davelfc
SI.com: As busy as Brendan Rodgers and his staff are with a punishing game schedule, are you OK with not having a director of football right now?

Ayre: Yeah. I think that director of football role in a lot of cases almost creates as many problems as it solves. Because people try to judge where the power base is with that role. Who's picking the team? Who's deciding which players? What we actually have is probably three or four people who all are involved in that role that all contribute if you like to the output that role would have. We have a head of analysis, a head of recruitment, a first-team manager, myself. All of those people are all inputting into a process that delivers what a director of football would deliver.

Why would we want Ancelotti when we have Ayre?

How Ayre survived the Suarez fiasco last year is beyond me, the fact that he is in some sort of hybrid director of football role with 3-4 others is a joke.

Who takes responsibility when we have seasons like this year, nobody thats who. We all just ride the Lfc family bus on lowering expectation rd.

How Ayre survived the Suarez fiasco last year is beyond me, the fact that he is in some sort of hybrid director of football role with 3-4 others is a joke.

Who takes responsibility when we have seasons like this year, nobody thats who. We all just ride the Lfc family bus on lowering expectation rd.

Ayre’s opinion seems gospel, his personal career above that what’s good for LFC. Just opinion but seems that way to me.

Hope the owners read this and bin Ayre.

He was rumoured to be getting the boot early in the season and the info seemed to be from the US too.

How the fuck did he get out of that?

They'd probably read it and make him the Manager.

Of course, the good news would be that he'd definitely be getting sacked soon if that was the case.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think we will be in exactly the same position next year, maybe slightly higher depending if Everton implode in the summer with Moyes and/or key players leaving.

I've just got no confidence that he can get the best out of the players he will have.

This is a bit of a strange thing to hear, for me, as I think the only really impressive thing Rodgers has managed to do has been to get the most out of some players who had been really poor under Kenny.

The fact that I don't cringe when Downing is in the starting lineup is really quite something, when you consider how bad he was last year. Henderson similar - he's actually been decent since Allen started suffering from his shoulder problem. I had written him off as a terrible buy, but of late I'm actually starting to hope he's still here as a squad player next season.

This may be me just showing a bit of naive optimism, but I actually think we might be a top 4 side next season. Rodgers doesn't seem to be any great shakes in the transfer market (see: Allen, Borini) but in January with the new scout setup we were much better. If we can continue to bring in good, undervalued players and Rodgers can keep making our underperforming players better (see: Carragher, Henderson, Downing, etc.) I think we might just have a good chance next season.

This is a bit of a strange thing to hear' date=' for me, as I think the only really impressive thing Rodgers has managed to do has been to get the most out of some players who had been really poor under Kenny.

The fact that I don't cringe when Downing is in the starting lineup is really quite something, when you consider how bad he was last year. Henderson similar - he's actually been decent since Allen started suffering from his shoulder problem. I had written him off as a terrible buy, but of late I'm actually starting to hope he's still here as a squad player next season.

This may be me just showing a bit of naive optimism, but I actually think we might be a top 4 side next season. Rodgers doesn't seem to be any great shakes in the transfer market (see: Allen, Borini) but in January with the new scout setup we were much better. If we can continue to bring in good, undervalued players and Rodgers can keep making our underperforming players better (see: Carragher, Henderson, Downing, etc.) I think we might just have a good chance next season.[/quote']

We were treated to such awful performances from Downing last season that we are confusing run of the mill with average.

Hope the owners read this and bin Ayre.

He was rumoured to be getting the boot early in the season and the info seemed to be from the US too.

How the fuck did he get out of that?

Does anyone remember a fan (from Huddlesfield I think) warning us about Ayre when he was first appointed.

I think he is on borrowed time.

He is the only boardroom (thats if we even have one in even the crudest sense of the word) member with a shred of football club organsitaional knowledge. I think thats the only thing keeping him in a job. How the manager and DoF who pick the players they want to buy and make the initial contact but the first bridge to cross before it even gets to FSG is guarded by Ayre who allowed the transfers and other situations to snowball is allowed to stay is baffling. As for Ancelotti.

Another wet dream I'm afraid. FSG have had their fingers burnt with Dalglish and have pussied out of bringing in a big manager.

This is a bit of a strange thing to hear, for me, as I think the only really impressive thing Rodgers has managed to do has been to get the most out of some players who had been really poor under Kenny.

This may be me just showing a bit of naive optimism, but I actually think we might be a top 4 side next season. Rodgers doesn't seem to be any great shakes in the transfer market (see: Allen, Borini) but in January with the new scout setup we were much better. If we can continue to bring in good, undervalued players and Rodgers can keep making our underperforming players better (see: Carragher, Henderson, Downing, etc.) I think we might just have a good chance next season.

Sorry mate but I have to question but not in a negative way so take your finger off the neg button. I think the problem with Downing and Henderson under Kenny is that he showed too much faith in them. That and his stubboness to prove he was right rather than save them from a weekly grilling from fans and media.

It could be said the Rodgers has been equally stubborn with Allen, playing him when he needed an operation is sheer pig headedness and demonstrated his "i'm right regardless of how many times the Red Arrows paint it in the sky that I'm clueless, I know I'm right" attitude a few more times on top.

Are you saying the January transfers were due to a scouting set up rather than Rodgers? If he can't recognise a good player what the hell is he doing at LFC. I'll point this other issue that really irritates me. He was lauded as a manager who could get the best out of mediocre players and moulding youth into decent players. Yet he binned Carroll while the lad was still on holiday not having seen him even in training while his stock was still high and then told the world about it so fucking up any chance of getting a decent wedge for him. Now he's finding his feet at West Ham who say they can't afford him.

They know that Rodgers doesn't fancy him but it looks like Rodgers will be going to Carroll cap in hand telling him to come back.

He's done a Manchini.

We were treated to such awful performances from Downing last season that we are confusing run of the mill with average.

Don't disagree with that. I just think that Rodgers deserves some of the credit for improving Downing from "awful" to "run of the mill."

He was lauded as a manager who could get the best out of mediocre players and moulding youth into decent players. Yet he binned Carroll while the lad was still on holiday not having seen him even in training while his stock was still high and then told the world about it so fucking up any chance of getting a decent wedge for him. Now he's finding his feet at West Ham who say they can't afford him.

They know that Rodgers doesn't fancy him but it looks like Rodgers will be going to Carroll cap in hand telling him to come back.

He's done a Manchini.

I think you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree if you think that Carroll is coming back, or that he was ever good enough for LFC. We will sell him this summer, probably for 10 million or so. You can argue that if Rodgers had handled it better we might have gotten 15 million, but other than that the blame for Carroll has to be entirely on Kenny/Comolli.