You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 2009 Grand National

bobhorse

It is a cumulative bet on 4 horses.

the betting vernacular goes - Single , Double , Treble , Four-fold .

cheers lads - so do you make one bet then? ie £10 four fold or would they expect £40 then??

sorry i normally stick to the basics and normally just do the footy coupon.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers lads - so do you make one bet then? ie £10 four fold or would they expect £40 then??

It depends on what you want to do mate. A four fold is basically a 4 horse accumulator, so you could put a tenner on to win on all four horses costing you a tenner, or 5 e/w accumulator costing you a tenner, or whatever amount you wanted. The winnings from each race carry forward as long as your bet is still alive.

Say you had a tenner win four fold and the first horse won at 2-1, you have 30 nicker going on the next horse at say 5/2 or whatever, if that wins you have 105 nicker going on horse 3.

No , the bet would only be a tenner , but all of your four would have to win.

If you want to do it 'each-way' like Woo's , it would be £20 , as in effect one of your tenners goes on all four to win & the other tenner goes on all four to be placed in their races ( Be careful , depending on the amount of runners in the race it might need to be in the first 2 , 3 or 4 )

Alternatively you could pick 4 horses & do smaller cumulative bets

ie 6 x Doubles - you win if any 2 of the 4 win

4 x trebles - you win if any 3 of them win

1 x Fourfold - all of them need to win.

This would be 11 bets at whatever stake you can afford .

What is a forecast?

Also, what does it mean to "lay a bet"?

A forecast is where you predict who will come first and second in the race. There is an option just to select the two horses who will finish first and second, without predicting the particular order.

A lay bet is where you bet against a horse, but there's only betfair I know who do them. So for example a lay bet on Denman would be to bet on Denman not to win the race, rather than bet on him to win it.

A forecast is where you predict who will come first and second in the race. There is an option just to select the two horses who will finish first and second, without predicting the particular order.

A lay bet is where you bet against a horse, but there's only betfair I know who do them. So for example a lay bet on Denman would be to bet on Denman not to win the race, rather than bet on him to win it.

Cheers, cottonsocks.

Are the returns decent on that forecast RRT?

I could check myself but I'm a lazy bastard.

Denman was evens, Exotic 4-1 so should get decent return, they are the only two in the race for me, so get it on !!! Bit like the Cheltenham gold cup on Kauto star and Denman, were the only two in it really, got 6-1 for that. Walk on just walked on, get in lad !

jeeeze Bob, that's some fine work there and an excellent guide for those of us who don't really gamble but have a flutter on the national.

Is there such a thing as the best time to place the bet? i.e. before now, now or right before the race or does it not really matter as the odds will change?

jeeeze Bob, that's some fine work there and an excellent guide for those of us who don't really gamble but have a flutter on the national.

Is there such a thing as the best time to place the bet? i.e. before now, now or right before the race or does it not really matter as the odds will change?

I'd say if you're going for one of the shorter priced horses, then earlier is normally better.

If you're going for one of the outsiders, then wait until tomorrow or Saturday.

But I'm still a relative newbie to all this, so don't take my word for it.