You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?

• Yes. The islands do not belong to us and we should leave
    • No. The islands are part of the UK and should remain so forever

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scots are subsidised by over £2,000 per person per annum. Since when was the North Sea on Scottish soil?

Salmond has got a hard-on for the North Sea oil for some reason, although his party's drive for independence has been set back somewhat by the fact both of the models he's previously held aloft as examples of how Scotland could flourish - Ireland and Iceland - have both imploded in spectacular fashion.

Salmond has got a hard-on for the North Sea oil for some reason, although his party's drive for independence has been set back somewhat by the fact both of the models he's previously held aloft as examples of how Scotland could flourish - Ireland and Iceland - have both imploded in spectacular fashion.

Even if Scotland had taken every penny from North Sea oil they would still have been subsidised by English tax payers. That's why the majority of them don't want full independence.

Stop whining Johnny. If you're sore over NI you can time share Manchester with the Argentinians.

As I said in my post. I couldn't care less about the Falklands. It's all a bit of a mess there with 4 nations claiming ownership at some point. Britian did what they do well though by planting loads of British citizens there so in the future they can claim that the "locals" want it to remain British when the "locals" are significantly populated by the British. They did the same in NI, but I feel a bit different about that. And I'll give Manchester a miss thanks, but I met they claim Maradona as a Manc if it happens.

As long as the majority of people living there want to be British, it should remain British. The same applies to Northern Ireland. Once the majority don't feel that way in each case we should pull out immediately and leave them to it, saving ourselves £billions in the process.
Ooooh, where's that can of worms pic?

What Thatcher did (with cross-party support, just like Blair over the recent invasion of Iraq) in the South Atlantic in the eighties is a disgrace. Sinking the Belgrano was particularly disgraceful.

UK citizens were installed there 200 years ago as a means of maintaining control. Sound familiar? Of course the Malvinas should be under the control of the UK. That doesn't necessarily grant Argentina the right to waltz in and take over willy-nilly (I just put that "willy-nilly" in because it makes me smile), but certainly the UK should have been - and still should be - open to Argentina's reclamation of its own land.

Care is needed to enable repatriation of the residents but yes, ultimately the Malvinas belong to Argentina, not the UK. Take a quick look at the atlas and have a little think.

Ooooh, where's that can of worms pic?

What Thatcher did (with cross-party support, just like Blair over the recent invasion of Iraq) in the South Atlantic in the eighties is a disgrace. Sinking the Belgrano was particularly disgraceful.

UK citizens were installed there 200 years ago as a means of maintaining control. Sound familiar? Of course the Malvinas should be under the control of the UK. That doesn't necessarily grant Argentina the right to waltz in and take over willy-nilly (I just put that "willy-nilly" in because it makes me smile), but certainly the UK should have been - and still should be - open to Argentina's reclamation of its own land.

Care is needed to enable repatriation of the residents but yes, ultimately the Malvinas belong to Argentina, not the UK. Take a quick look at the atlas and have a little think.

What is the connection between the Falklands & Iraq?

The Falklands were part of the UK & Argentina invaded. We then defended ourselves.

Even if you think they should have them, they went about it in such a way whereupon we had to react unfortunately.

Iraq has not invaded British soil, threatened British citizens nor possessed WMD to threaten us in the future.

That was an illegal war.

And the Belgrano was an Argentine navy cruiser in a war that they had started.

What was wrong with sinking it?

(& i know that it was outside exclusion zone. "However, exclusion zones are historically declared for the benefit of neutral vessels; during war, under international law, the heading and location of a belligerent naval vessel has no bearing on its status. In addition, the captain of the Belgrano, Hector Bonzo, has testified that the attack was legitimate (as did the Argentine government in 1994)" from Wikipedia)

Letting the Belgrano go would have been like not shooting a bear that was about to eat your children, it was a fucking beast.

ARA_General_Belgrano_3.jpg

This was our largest class of capital ship in the area at the time, except for the relatively defenseless carriers:

July-FALKLANDS-25-PIC.jpg

Letting the Belgrano go would have been like not shooting a bear that was about to eat your children, it was a fucking beast.

ARA_General_Belgrano_3.jpg

This was our largest class of capital ship in the area at the time, except for the relatively defenseless carriers:

July-FALKLANDS-25-PIC.jpg

This is a misconception. The Belgrano was an old tub, mostly staffed by trainees and could have been taken out at any time had it posed a real threat rather than as a way to stall the three-way talks going on in Lima (us, the argentinians chaired by Alexander Haig of the US). The ships were largely irrelevant bar the carriers - airpower was what counted, that and proper training. Our destroyers or even the carrier could have mostly taken the Belgrano out from 30 odd miles or more away with their Sea Dart missiles (ten miles beyond the range of the Belgrano's primitive radar guided guns), though the harriers with their own guided armament could have done it too.

Not buying this whole idea of it being some snub to people who died there: If you don't want to get shot at then don't join the armed forces; quite a simple concept really.

Never understood the big deal about the Belgrano either. Even if it isn't in the "blow each other up" zone it's going to be in it at some point soon so down it goes.

• 10 months later...

What are peoples views on the latest developments? I see Chavez is calling on the queen to give the islands back now!

I think Section sums up my view in the quote below.

There aren't any indigenous people there though like with the likes of, say, Hong Kong.

They were discovered, charted, and settled by the British to use as a base for the exploration of the Pacific, then became a pissing contest with the Spanish. It's not like 'we' ousted anyone and they now want to come back.

It's basically the argies saying they want it because it's not far from them, as far as I can tell.

If the Spanish had discovered the Isle of Sheppey, explored it and colonised it, I wouldn't have a problem with it still being a Spanish colony, certainly not just because it was 'by Britain'.

Okay listen up.

1). They've got short memories, do they not have European ancestry, what about the indigenous population of Argentina and the whole of South America (which is still getted bummed in the likes of Peru and Amazonia) which their imperialist Spanish forefathers destroyed. And funny how they are all backing Argentina's claim, how about backing Bolivia's claim to it's original coastline that Chile annexed from it several decades ago leaving it landlocked?

2). Kirchner is under pressure at home, so a bit of nationalist posturing want hurt her she thinks. Stop being a tit.

3). Argentina were actually an offered an oil sharing agreement back in 2005 whereby the two countries would share in the financial benefits of an oil discovery through sales and refining, they tore it up, actually her husband who was the then President did.

3). Surely any decision should be based on self determination, the residents of the Falklands see themselves as distinctly British, and wish to remain there. So unless Argentina wants to go on some nationalist imperialist genocide, they will remain that way.

4). Argentina have you believe it's there's, simply because of it's geographical location. The Falklands is actually 600km from Argentina, hardly knockin on their front door anyway. Just looks close because there's fuck all else nearby. What next, we claim Iceland or the Faroe Islands?

Edited by Yerma'satexan!

It's about time the Navy earned their keep anyway, the Taliban don't got boats.

I give you HMS Ocean, the largest navy ship since the 60s.

HMS_Ocean_L12_02.jpg

[YOUTUBE]artOXVZxECA[/YOUTUBE]

One of the reasons the Iranians like to kidnap our men and the Israelis think nothing of using our citizens' passports for Mossad hits, is because they think we're soft as shit. Sometimes mixing it up a little can give everyone else a moment of pause.

Let's bring an end to squaddies releasing Christmas albums entitled 'I can't wait to come home', and get back to what we do best - being a warrior race, cracking skulls, and celebrating with a nice room temperature stout.

Now that it's confirmed there is plenty of oil in and around the Falklands, I have changed my mind. It's now worth the money and aggro to stay on the Islands. If Brown had any balls he would tell the Argies to back off otherwise we'll do a Belgrano-style job on Bueno Aires itself. Shock and awe, motherfuckers.