You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What has he done scouting and academy wise that marks him out as a stand out candidate? What have I missed?

The simple truth that any manager/leader worth their salt wants, primarily, people they know and trust working for them. Why take a punt on someone with a glowing CV who you've never met, when you've got a candidate who you already know will do the job well? Look how it worked out for Chelsea with their approach to recruitment. They hired candidates in Ten Cate and Arnesen for specific roles at the club due to their proven qualities. All those appointments achieved though was to exacerbate existing divisions within the club and force out their greatest asset - the manager himself.

You cannot separate the professional from the personal which is why it's vital that we have one man in charge of the entire football side of the club and he recruits the people he wants to do the jobs he requires.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading a piece when McParland left for Bolton stating that Liverpool had been following Agger for two years and McParland even went to watch him during training to see his attitude etc. So, while we might have bought him after he made his debut for Denmark, he had been spotted far earlier.

The simple truth that any manager/leader worth their salt wants, primarily, people they know and trust working for them. Why take a punt on someone with a glowing CV who you've never met, when you've got a candidate who you already know will do the job well? Look how it worked out for Chelsea with their approach to recruitment. They hired candidates in Ten Cate and Arnesen for specific roles at the club due to their proven qualities. All those appointments achieved though was to exacerbate existing divisions within the club and force out their greatest asset - the manager himself.

You cannot separate the professional from the personal which is why it's vital that we have one man in charge of the entire football side of the club and he recruits the people he wants to do the jobs he requires.

What happens to the club when this ONE man leaves?

What happens to the club when this ONE man leaves?

In theory I share your concerns and I've expressed similar views in the past. But to be honest, McParland's situation won't be linked to Rafa's unless a new manager wants rid of him.

I also don't actually think his job is going to be that difficult, assuming Elias stays. Elias will be doing the recruitment of older kids, the problem we need to address is stopping the trend of younger kids not coming here or leaving us to go elsewhere.

Dalglish will help on that score I think, and McParland used to do scouting when he worked at the Academy before so he has experience of that.

You are reading far much into this, as like I say, I don't think the job is that hard. Him being there means that Rafa will stop ignoring the Academy and blocking the route into the reserves by creating his own academy at Melwood.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a clearout of the ressies squad, and the promotion of the better players from the u18s. If Rafa is responsible for the Academy, he has to make it work. That means we'll see an end to all the shite that's been going on.

I'd have been concerned if he'd brought in one of his Spanish boys on a long term contract, but McParland isn't likely to leave us in the lurch if Rafa left.

The Academy is working pretty well in the older age groups (the u16s are very good too), it's underneath that where it's a huge mess.

Your problem is that you see McParland as a yes man for Rafa. Thing is though, that's what we need I'm afraid. He wouldn't work with Heighway or Hamberg, so why bring in someone else who he may not see eye to eye with? We needed to put a stop to all the political shite that has been going on, and there were only two ways that was going happen.

Either Rafa goes, or he gets to appoint someone who he will work amicably with.

That's the bottom line.

Let's se how things go before kicking off about it, eh?

Thats a good post Dave and something that possibly Rash and a few others (ok just Rash) have failed to grasp.

Like Dave has posted if we appointed someine with a glowing CV but Rafa has never worked with him before and they clash then it means Rafa will just ignore the Academy again and carry on as we currently are.

By appointing McParland this brings the whole Academy together and Rafa knows he can work with him and this can only be for the best for both the club and the young players.